What's new

West Bengal won't depend on Bangladesh for Hilsha fish anymore.

How about some exoctic birds ??
Does bangladesh have any and are they hunted...??
We have plently of variety of birds which are huntable
Ducks,chukoor,kherze(i dont know the urdu or english name) we have many options

Maybe same with bangladesh regarding fishes different variety of fish to eat .and the only fish we get is trout.

We have exotic birds also and they are hunted too. But there is government crack down on the hunters since hunting and selling them is illegal.

You think you Bangladeshis are the only fish lovers around and no one else knows anything about it. Don't forget that your rivers reach BD after traversing the entire length of my state. We don't even need to lift the gills to identify the quality of a good/fresh fish, there are plenty of ways to know that without even touching the fish.

I didn't say that. But we Bangladeshis are surely the most knowledgeable about hilsha.

I have no bones to pick with Indians and West Bengalis and I have no problem with our hilsha selling in west bengal. They are our brothers anyway and we know what hilsha means to Bengalis, so they should be able to taste it too after meeting our local demands. I am simply stating facts that those so called best quality hilsha the Kolkata people think they get is not true. They rarely get to see best quality hilsha, they get sold within a few hours after reaching the ghat in the dawn time, anything that remains reaches big cities like Dhaka and Chittagong and get sold within hours at exorbitant prices and trust me people who pay the exorbitant price do so with a smile and a lot of joy in the heart. On their way back home few neighbors ask them how much they bougt it for and they answer happily and proudly. That's why when we buy best hilsha, we go to bazaar very early in the morning, some of us wake up in the midnight so we can reach the ghat by the dawn and buy it right from the ghat.

and the only fish we get is trout

How come bro? Arabian sea should have a lot of variety of fish. I have a Pakistani friend from Karachi here in Australia. His family is originally from Gujrat, India. They migrated during the partition. His wife is sindhi.

I have invited them to my house and apart from biryani we also served Rui fish from BD. The guy didn't like fish at all but his wife was going crazy about the fish. I am assuming Sindhi people like fish more than any other people in Pakistan? Is that right?

I have no bones to pick with Indians
I appreciate that and know well that you usually don't needle the Indians like other BD members. You are only putting your views across the board and i mine to the best of my knowledge. I really don't know about the prevailing prices in WB markets, what i wrote is from the experience in my state and i felt that 1200 rs would be a lot high even for Padma ilish for a 800 gm fish in my place.

Assamese are huge fans of the Sitol and big size Borali fish fresh from river and these cost us upwards of 1500-2000 during the Bihu season when the demand is high.

I appreciate that and know well that you usually don't needle the Indians like other BD members. You are only putting your views across the board and i mine to the best of my knowledge. I really don't know about the prevailing prices in WB markets, what i wrote is from the experience in my state and i felt that 1200 rs would be a lot high even for Padma ilish for a 800 gm fish in my place.

Assamese are huge fans of the Sitol and big size Borali fish fresh from river and these cost us upwards of 1500-2000 during the Bihu season when the demand is high.

Knowing that assamese sounds similar to Bengali, I assume sitol is Chitol and Borali is what?

Here is chitol in Bangladesh. This fish has 10 times more bones than hilsha, and the bones are fine bones, much more messier to eat.

15777934-humped-featherback-or-fresh-water-chitol-fish-of-southeast-asia.jpg

Post photo of Borali.

Knowing that assamese sounds similar to Bengali, I assume sitol is Chitol and Borali is what?

Here is chitol in Bangladesh. This fish has 10 times more bones than hilsha, and the bones are fine bones, much more messier to eat.

15777934-humped-featherback-or-fresh-water-chitol-fish-of-southeast-asia.jpg

Post photo of Borali.
images (6).jpeg

Boal catfish in Bengali i think, the ones big in size fresh from the rivers fetch quite a price during the festive season, then there is the Pabho(Pabda) fish that you were discussing with Milspec, the ones from Brahmaputra are much sought after and costs us 600-700 a kilo.

View attachment 568591
Boal catfish in Bengali i think, the ones big in size fresh from the rivers fetch quite a price during the festive season, then there is the Pabho(Pabda) fish that you were discussing with Milspec, the ones from Brahmaputra are much sought after and costs us 600-700 a kilo.

And shitol is chitol? The photo I posted?

Boal is also consumed in BD and generally not considered a delicacy, however widely eaten. To give an example of what I mean, Bengalis won't serve Boal to a new groom and his relatives. They would be served with Katla, Rui, Ilish etc.

Cock and Pakistan is synonymous in BD market.... Should Pakistanis take this as compliment?
Is it something like Sindhi Cows? This species was imported from Karachi and was mated with local bulls. But, the name remained. I do not know about the present. So, the Cocks may also be from Pakistan basically and may have been mated with Deshi hen, but the name keeps on going. So, what is the truth? Note that people say (or think) the taste is different from the pure deshi ones.
@Atlas

We don't give a hoot about your ilish phees but the Bengalis in my state somehow have access to the best quality fish from your country all the time at reasonable price compared to your own country.

You are forced to pay exorbitant prices for the hilsa phees because of the demand supply mismatch, there is very little left for you in BD as the cream of the catch is sent across to India leaving your Bangladeshi fokirs jostling amongst themselves to have a slice of your coveted phees thereby inflating the price. Common Bangladeshi suffers whereas the traders and smugglers laugh their way to the bank. That is why your export ban has been an utter failure.

STFU you habitual Sylheti liar and chronic abuser.

No what you get is burmese farmed hilsha....which is disgusting.

So you think BD will export its products cheaply to india whilst its market can sustain a higher price.

This is why assam remains a backwater....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Kolkata last year for 3 months. I saw it in fish markets that it's a common scene Bengalis of West Bengal tell the sellers to give them 300 ilish, meaning 300 grams of ilish, basically a few pieces. In BD nobody buys few pieces of ilish, nobody even sells pieces of ilish. Either buy a whole fish or go away. These guys think they are some first world country with pocket full of cash to buy the best fish from BD whereas BD people just buy the left over crap. Jokers don't know how prized top quality hilsha or any other big fish in BD is and people are willing to fork out big amount of money for a good fish.

This kind of news is regular in BD almost everyday in the hilsha season. This is from 2014, 1.8kg fish sold for TK 5500 per kilo. So the total price of 1.8kg fish was TK 9900, that's more than 100 usd for a 1.8kg fish. Here in Aus top quality salmon is 24 dollars per kilo. They come here with 2000 rupees budget blabbering about them buying the best quality BD hilsha.

https://en.prothomalo.com/economy/news/174117/A-piece-of-hilsa-costs-Tk-5-500

So you compare the economy of 2 regions by comparing such parameters that how much some random guy is buying invthe market that you have seen??!

This is also good news for Bangladesh. We get leftovers after meeting West Bengal's demand for Bangladeshi Hilsha fish. Now we will have sufficient Hilsha fish and prices will go down significantly. :yahoo:

সুখবর! ইলিশ নিয়ে আর চিন্তা নেই, জানালেন মমতা

"ভবিষ্যতে বাংলাদেশ থেকে পদ্মার ইলিশ আমদানি করার প্রয়োজন পড়বে না। এবার ইলিশ উৎপাদনে রাজ্য নিজেই স্বাবলম্বী হবে। শুধু তাই না, বিদেশেও উৎপাদিত ইলিশ সরবরাহ করা হবে"।
mamata-banerjee-7592.jpg
মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায়।
রাজ্যের ইলিশবিলাসীদের জন্য সুখবর! পদ্মার ইলিশের জন্য আক্ষেপ করে সময় নষ্ট নয়। মঙ্গলবার মুখ্যমন্ত্রী বিধানসভায় আশ্বস্ত করলেন, ইলিশ উৎপাদনে রাজ্য শুধু সাবলম্বী হবে না, বিশ্বের অন্যত্র ইলিশ সরবারহও করবে অচিরেই।

মমতা এদিন বলেন, “ভবিষ্যতে বাংলাদেশ থেকে পদ্মার ইলিশ আমদানি করার প্রয়োজন পড়বে না। এবার ইলিশ উৎপাদনে রাজ্য নিজেই স্বাবলম্বী হবে। শুধু তাই না, বিদেশেও উৎপাদিত ইলিশ সরবরাহ করা হবে”। এদিন বিধানসভায় দেগঙ্গার বিধায়ক রহিমা বিবির প্রশ্নের জবাব দিতে গিয়ে মুখ্যমন্ত্রী বলেন, “তিস্তার জল দিতে না পারায় বাংলাদেশ পদ্মার ইলিশ সরবরাহ করা বন্ধ করে দিয়েছে। মমতার আক্ষেপ, জল দেওয়ার ক্ষমতা নেই। কোথা থেকে জল দেব। এরপরই তিনি ইলিশ ও মাছের উৎপাদন নিয়ে উচ্ছ্বাস প্রকাশ করেন”।

আরও পড়ুন- ইলিশ কি চিনে নেবে ফেলে আসা পথ?

বিগত বছর দুয়েক পদ্মার ইলিশের স্বাদ থেকে বঞ্চিত রাজ্যের মানুষ। এবারও বাজারে আসেনি বাংলাদেশের রপালী শষ্য। তবে, মুখ্যমন্ত্রীর বরাভয়, ইলিশ নিয়ে আর চিন্তা নেই। মাছে-ভাতে থাকা বাঙালীকে এদিন ইলিশ ছাড়া অন্য মাছ নিয়েও আশ্বাস দিয়েছেন মুখ্যমন্ত্রী। তাঁর দাবি, “ইলিশ থেকে রাজ্যের মানুষ বঞ্চিত হবে না। ইলিশ চাষ নিয়ে গবেষণা চলছে। আগামীদিনে রাজ্যের ইলিশ সারা পৃথিবীতে সরবরাহ করা হবে। রাজ্যে ইলিশ নিয়ে কোনও অভাব নেই…৭০০ পুকুরে রাজ্য মাছ চাষ করছে। একটা মাছ দু’কেজি ওজন করতে দু’বছর সময় লাগে। এখন মাছ অন্য রাজ্য থেকে আসে। এরপর আর মাছ বাইরে থেকে আমদানি করতে হবে না”।

ইলিশের কারবারি সন্দীপ বল জানান, বিগত দু’বছর ধরেই বাংলাদেশ থেকে ইলিশ আমদানি বন্ধ রয়েছে। মূলত পশ্চিমবঙ্গ এবং ওড়িশা থেকেই ইলিশ সরবরাহ করা হচ্ছে বাজারে। তাছাড়া কিছু বড় সাইজের ইলিশ আসছে বার্মা থেকেও। যদিও সেই ইলিশ মাছের তেমন স্বাদ নেই। তাঁর বক্তব্য, “ইলিশ নিয়ে রিসার্চ চলছে ঠিকই। কিন্তু, এখনও প্রয়োগ করার জায়গা আসেনি।” কাকদ্বীপের ইলিশ রিসার্চ সেন্টার নিয়ে নাম প্রকাশে অনিচ্ছুক এক আধিকারিকের বক্তব্য, “কাকদ্বীপে ইলিশ নিয়ে গবেষণা প্রক্রিয়া চলছে ঠিকই। তবে তা কতটা বাস্তবায়িত হবে তা বলা মুশকিল”।

Good news! There is no more worry about the hilsa, Mamata said

"West Bengal will no longer need to import Hilsha fish from Bangladesh's Padma river in future." Now the state itself will be self-reliant in the production of the hilsa, not only that, it will also be exported to other countries.

By: IE Bangla Web Desk Kolkata Updated: Jul 3, 2019, 8:08:20 AM

Hilsa_package_image_02jul2019190419870.jpg

Good news for the elephants of the state! Time is not wasted due to the hilsa of Padma. Chief Minister assured on Tuesday that the state will not only be able to produce the hilsa, but it will soon be available in other parts of the world.

Mamta said, "In the future we will not need to import import Hilsha of Padma from Bangladesh. The state itself will be self reliant in production of the hilsa. Not only that, the produce produced in foreign countries will be provided. " The Chief Minister said, in response to the question of Digambar Board of Directors Rahima Bibi in the Vidhan Sabha, Bangladesh has stopped supply of hilsa in Padma due to not allowing Teesta water. Sorry, no power to drink. Where do we water? Then he expressed his excitement about the production of fish and fish. "

Read more - Hilsa knows how to leave?

The people of the deprived state of Padma have been deprived of taste for the last two years. Rapeseed Rice of Bangladesh did not come this year. However, with the Chief Minister, there is no more worry about the hilsa. The Chief Minister assured the fish and the fishermen, besides other fish without hilsa. His claim, "Hilsa will not be deprived of the people of the state. Research on hilsa cultivation is underway In the future, the state's hilsa will be supplied all over the world. There is no shortage of hilsa in the state ... 700 farmers are cultivating fish in the state. It takes two years for a fish to weigh two kilos. Now the fish comes from another state. Then the fish will not import from the outside. "

Sandeep said that Hilsa import from Bangladesh has been stopped for the last two years. Initially, Hilsa is being supplied from West Bengal and Orissa. Besides, some big hilsa is coming from Burma. Although there is no taste of the Hilsa fish from these regions. His statement is, "Research is going on right with Hilsa. However, there has not yet been any place to apply. "An official reluctant to disclose the name of the KHDWH Hilsha Research Center," The research process on Kakdavip is underway. But it is difficult to say how it will be implemented. "

https://bengali.indianexpress.com/west-bengal/west-bengal-hilsa-fish-mamata-banerjee-117484/
Lol that is funny .many people who do trade would get jobless .
And maybe a serious cut in bangaldesh revenues .
But you are celebrating as though some kind of victory and now you can eat this fish as much as you want .. Had India and bangaldesh being the same country this problem doesn't arise .

Is it something like Sindhi Cows? This species was imported from Karachi and was mated with local bulls. But, the name remained. I do not know about the present. So, the Cocks may also be from Pakistan basically and may have been mated with Deshi hen, but the name keeps on going. So, what is the truth? Note that people say (or think) the taste is different from the pure deshi ones.
@Atlas
Do not know if this is mated with deshi hen or not ! But this taste is not as good as deshi hen , and also has slight smelly even after well cooking , but deshi chicken does not have such odor .

Lets compare the two type of chicken , Let me take an example of mutton . Like when we buy mutton from market that is actually a mix of mutton and and lamb aka sheep meat , have some odor and we call it as the odor of the body of goat , but if well cooked then it's no big deal for many peoples , yet lots of peoples do not like to eat it .

But when we eat fresh mutton in Qurbani or akika or marriage ceremony , the mutton ( খাসী ) is free from the smell .

this two type chicken can be compare like this . You can compare cock chicken with lamb mixed mutton that has bad smell , and can compare deshi chicken with pure mutton from a khasi ( that you buy for Qurbani or otehr ceremonies ) that has no bad smell and also taste much better ,that's it.

@bluesky

Last edited:
And shitol is chitol? The photo I posted?

Boal is also consumed in BD and generally not considered a delicacy, however widely eaten. To give an example of what I mean, Bengalis won't serve Boal to a new groom and his relatives. They would be served with Katla, Rui, Ilish etc.
Yup, the same one that you posted, the portion towards the tail and abdomen have less bones and are most sought after.

Rou, Bahu(Catla), Pithia etc are something we eat on a daily basis, though one may serve them to their relatives. But we would rather give fishes like borali, ari(another catfish called ar in bengali), xol(snakehead), sitol, magur or goroi etc to our relatives. Then there are tens of other small river fishes that accompany the larger ones in fried/boiled/steamed/curry form. Two-three(including a fish pitika-mashed) fish items are common along with meat and vegetables.

Though, the use of ilish is increasing among our community these days as a result of increase in catch of the fish in the Brahmaputra in the last few years(which also contributed to lowering of prices of BD ilish to remain competitive in the market).

Last edited by a moderator:
How these fish swim to your state when the river is blocked Farakka dam? :what:
That barrage is on the river Ganga(Padma) and is only one of the major rivers in BD, there are two other major river systems in your country, the Jamuna and Meghna which are the continuation of Brahmaputra and the Barak rivers in Assam which are not dammed and the fish can migrate upstream. The availability of hilsa is only increasing in Assam each year and it's aided by climatic and meteorological conditions.

We don't give a hoot about your ilish phees but the Bengalis in my state somehow have access to the best quality fish from your country all the time at reasonable price compared to your own country.

You are forced to pay exorbitant prices for the hilsa phees because of the demand supply mismatch, there is very little left for you in BD as the cream of the catch is sent across to India leaving your Bangladeshi fokirs jostling amongst themselves to have a slice of your coveted phees thereby inflating the price. Common Bangladeshi suffers whereas the traders and smugglers laugh their way to the bank. That is why your export ban has been an utter failure.

STFU you habitual Sylheti liar and chronic abuser.

Bro, just ignore Sylhetis. I being Bangladeshi myself dislike Sylhetis for their racism, abusive behavior and extremism. Not all but they are always under suspicion even in Bangladesh due to their militant activities in the home and abroad. Esp. ISiS has so many Sylheti background militants. Please ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom