What's new

West Bengal won't depend on Bangladesh for Hilsha fish anymore.

We don't give a hoot about your ilish phees but the Bengalis in my state somehow have access to the best quality fish from your country all the time at reasonable price compared to your own country.

You are forced to pay exorbitant prices for the hilsa phees because of the demand supply mismatch, there is very little left for you in BD as the cream of the catch is sent across to India leaving your Bangladeshi fokirs jostling amongst themselves to have a slice of your coveted phees thereby inflating the price. Common Bangladeshi suffers whereas the traders and smugglers laugh their way to the bank. That is why your export ban has been an utter failure.

STFU you habitual Sylheti liar and chronic abuser.

Yeah yeah, now we nee to learn from assamese about our fish. Our fishermen sell best quality of our fish to the rich assamese for cheap price but sell the low quality in BD for high price. Makes perfect business sense. I have been in Kolkata and I have seen the quality of hilsha there and what price they sell for.

The Hilsha you find in your markets are all stolen or smuggled BD fish. Be sure about this.
I agree with this and if you sift through the posts i said that first, but please try to make the other BD posters understand this simple thing.
Otherwise, how can you get this item when Hilshas do not prefer your dirty seawater and it cannot swim across
Lol, Hilsas are found in the Brahmaputra (Assam) right up to the middle Assam town of Tezpur; Dhuburi and Karimganj are well known for their hilsa catch in Assam, but of course the Bengalis prefer the BD smuggled version at cheap rates compared to your country.

The Hilsha you find in your markets are all stolen or smuggled BD fish. Be sure about this. Otherwise, how can you get this item when Hilshas do not prefer your dirty seawater and it cannot swim across Farakka from our side. But, then, Mamata has promised abundant of factory-made Hilsha for you guys.

They think they get the best quality hilsha because they haven't seen any better. I have purchased hilsha in Kolkata dipped in ice, 800-900 grams in size, 1200 rupees per kilo. They are blabbering about that being best quality, because they have never seen the best quality. Best quality hilsha is from Padma, rounder in shape with a pink belly, anywhere between 1.5 to 2.2 kg in size. They have never seen anything like it. Most of the hilsha sold in Kolkata is sea hilsha, not river hilsha.

Our fishermen sell best quality of our fish to the rich assamese for cheap price but sell the low quality in BD for high price.
Your knowledge of business is deficient, they don't sell us incurring a loss, though what we pay for your fish is lower that what you pay in your country. This smuggling to India is necessary for your hilsa traders otherwise BD markets would be flooded with the fish bringing the prices down causing tremendous loss to them. By sending a hugh chunk of their catch to India they keep the prices in BD relatively high. Then there is the issue of hoarding of the fish to make it available during festivities... What say @bluesky ?

800-900 grams in size, 1200 rupees per kilo.
:rofl::rofl: Though i'm not an avid hilsa eater, i keep knowledge about the rates of different fishes in my state. A fish of that size, if it's from Padma in BD would sell for around 400-450 INR in Assam. And the rates in WB wouldn't change much, so you can quit telling lies here.. Maybe you are paying more in BD.

Never understood the fascination of ilish maach, my dad loves it, I won't touch that with a 10-foot pole.

:rofl::rofl: Though i'm not an avid hilsa eater, i keep knowledge about the rates of different fishes in my state. A fish of that size, if it's from Padma in BD would sell for around 400-450 INR in Assam. And the rates in WB wouldn't change much, so you can quit telling lies here.. Maybe you are paying more in BD.
In maharashtra, Ilish is close to 1000-1200 rs a kilo.There are quite a bit of Bengalis in the place my parent's town, so quite possible that vendors jack up the price knowing their fascination of fish with more bones than flesh.

They think they get the best quality hilsha because they haven't seen any better. I have purchased hilsha in Kolkata dipped in ice, 800-900 grams in size, 1200 rupees per kilo. They are blabbering about that being best quality, because they have never seen the best quality. Best quality hilsha is from Padma, rounder in shape with a pink belly, anywhere between 1.5 to 2.2 kg in size. They have never seen anything like it. Most of the hilsha sold in Kolkata is sea hilsha, not river hilsha.
Even bangladeshis dont usually see the best quality male hilsa as the fisherman dont have the technology to fish deep into the water where male fish usually stay.

Your knowledge of business is deficient, they don't sell us incurring a loss, though what we pay for your fish is lower that what you pay in your country. This smuggling to India is necessary for your hilsa traders otherwise BD markets would be flooded with the fish bringing the prices down causing tremendous loss to them. By sending a hugh chunk of their catch to India they keep the prices in BD relatively high. Then there is the issue of hoarding of the fish to make it available during festivities... What say @bluesky ?

I know very well hisha is smuggled into India. But I was responding to your original claim that the best quality goes to India which also fetches a better price there which is pure BS.

I have posted a news from a daily about price of best quality hilsha in BD, just one hilsah of Padma river, 1.8kg is weight sold for 9900 taka. Kolkata people rarely get to see thins kind of fish, neither will they pay this kind of money for a fish. Bangladeshis happily pay that kind of money for that kind of high quality fish. The west bengalis frankly don't have much idea about what a best quality hilsha is. They get the run of the mills hilsha from BD, buy at a reasonable price and think they got the best hilsha.

I have purchased myself hisla in Kolkata, 800-900 grams in size, 1200 rupees per kilo, frozen and dipped in ice. That is the type of hilsha they have available in Kolkata. That type of hilsha is average to low quality hilsha in BD.

Highest quality is from Padma river, large size, 1.5 to 2.2kg in size, it has a rounder shape, the back is silver in color but the belly is pink. Ask these descriptions to your Bengalis if they even know this. Average hilsha is a elongated hilsha, fully silver in color and between 800 - 1200 grams in size. That's the stuff they get. They blabber about best quality coming to Kolkata because they don't know the best quality.

Even bangladeshis dont usually see the best quality male hilsa as the fisherman dont have the technology to fish deep into the water where male fish usually stay.

Yes, the small amount that is caught gets sold right in the ghat as the fishermen bring them for an exorbitant price. The people who buy it for that exorbitant price know a bamboo has been driven up their arse but they accept it with a big smile in the face because of the love for that high quality fish. Indians (bar the west bengalis) have no freaken idea what hilsha means to Bengalis, they think they know it all and start fapping.

Last edited:
In maharashtra, Ilish is close to 1000-1200 rs a kilo.
Depending on the size the price of the fish increases exponentially, in Assam a hilsa of 800 grams would sell for 500/kg, hilsas of 1-1.2 kgs for 700-800 a kilo and so on. The prices of the fish in neighbouring states of BD like Assam and WB with a significant East Bengali population will always be low compared to say MH.

No genious I am not lying. I have bought that kind of fish for that kind of price in Kolkata and no I haven't been ripped off. West Bengalis were buying from the same place right next to me for the same price. And no, it was not a one off, I stayed there for 3.5 months, I bought same kind of fish for same kind of price multiple times. Kolkata has a far greater number of Bengali population than Assam, the demand is far higher, so the price is also higher than Assam.

Last edited:
I have purchased myself hisla in Kolkata, 800-900 grams in size, 1200 rupees per kilo, frozen and dipped in ice.
That's why we Indians welcome you Bangladeshis to Kolkata and all, so that you can pay 1200 rupees for a fish from your own country that would normally cost us around 500 INR. Keep coming to our country, India loves you.

No genious I am not lying. I have bought that kind of fish for that kind of price in Kolkata and no I haven't been ripped off. West Bengalis were buying from the same place right next to me for the same price.
There shouldn't be such a huge variation in the price of ilish in Assam vis-a-vis WB, however i don't have first hand knowledge regarding it and will wait for someone from the state to counter your claims.

That's why we Indians welcome you Bangladeshis to Kolkata and all, so that you can pay 1200 rupees for a fish from your own country that would normally cost us around 500 INR. Keep coming to our country, India loves you.

Oh sure smartypant.

Once you say you get the best hilsha for a cheap price and we in BD get the low quality ones for rip off price. Now that I debunk your tripe, you now change the tune and say we keep coming to pay high price for our own fish in your country. You are soooo smart, everybody is amazed.

Ilish price depends on the size of the fish.
Small fish can be 700-800 per kilo where as a big 1.5 to 2 kg size ilish will sell for 3000 taka kilo. If its bigger than 3 kg then the price could go 10,000 taka per kilo.
yupp. Given in my household, it's just my dad that eats ilish, we probably get the smaller ones, and I don't think we get the bigger ones in Maharashtra either given very small demands from the probashi bengalis.

yupp. Given in my household, it's just my dad that eats ilish, we probably get the smaller ones, and I don't think we get the bigger ones in Maharashtra either given very small demands from the probashi bengalis.

Do you guys catch hilsha from the sea or it's all imported?

Back
Top Bottom