What's new

West Bengal won't depend on Bangladesh for Hilsha fish anymore.

After beef Bangladeshis love Hilsha fish the most. It is very tasty. Chicken is not tasty anymore because of no availability of original deshi chicken. We get Pakistani cock Chicken which is hated by most but have to eat because of no alternative apart from disgusting broiler chicken.

Bones in fish are rich in calcium and other nutrients. You should not throw away the bones. Eat it carefully.
I agree, hilsa is really tasty, especially the skin layer. But the bones part is annoying.

Do you guys catch hilsha from the sea or it's all imported?
It's all imported, on ice, not fresh. I think most of rui is farmed. Most of the fresh fish is sea fishes of the west coast like surmai, pomfret, bombay ducks, and others. I am not very good with fish names. I think we get some local Pabda fish, which I like as it doesn't have a lot of bones.

@Atlas, is it true what this @Riyad guy thinks about house chickens being imported from Pakistan? I have never heard of it. Can you check it?
Yes in this case he is right about cok chicken .I do not know if it's Pakistani chicken or not , but in market they are sold as Pakistani cok chicken , and surely they are not deshi chickens that we used to eat . And Bangladeshi chickens are rare now in market .

Cok aka pakistani chicken price is also less than deshi chicken . as a medium size ( more or less 1 kg) so called Pakistani chicken (price is 220/230 tk and same size deshi ( bangladeshi) chicken cost 400 + taka . price could be slightly different in various places . Cok is also called golden cok ( সোনালী কক মুরগি) .
@bluesky

Last edited:
Now that I debunk your tripe,
You debunked nothing, otoh you let us know how you were ripped off in Kolkata by the fish merchants. Bottomline being ban or no ban, BD hilsa from Padma is always available in Assam at dirt cheap prices thanks to your country's smugglers and fish traders.

You debunked nothing, otoh you let us know how you were ripped off in Kolkata by the fish merchants. Bottomline being ban or no ban, BD hilsa from Padma is always available in Assam at dirt cheap prices thanks to your country's smugglers and fish traders.
These could be imported fake shad fish (passed as ilish) which are also sold abundantly in Kolkata market.

Yeah, dirt quality is sold at dirt cheap price in your country. Best quality does not go there. And that exorbitant price by your fish merchants are sold at the price on a daily basis to your own west bengalis, I purchased it standing in the same line as them from the same shop, I haven't been "ripped off" any more than the west bengalis, just paid the standard price for the fish in that market.

Like I described the best quality, if that fish is kept in ice for 5/6 days, it no longer remains a best quality fish, Bengalis are savvy about fish. Best quality fish must be with all the characteristics and must be fresh, no older than one or two days. We can easily understand how old a fish is just by checking the gills.

It's all imported, on ice, not fresh. I think most of rui is farmed. Most of the fresh fish is sea fishes of the west coast like surmai, pomfret, bombay ducks, and others. I am not very good with fish names. I think we get some local Pabda fish, which I like as it doesn't have a lot of bones.

Pabda? Are you bengali?

Why cant you raise desi chicken like we do in Pakistan?
In Pakistan most people in rural areas raise their own chicken and sell them when the number crosses 10 or something

Desi chicken are the best anyone who gets the chance to buy desi chicken gets it immediately
Same goes for eggs the demand for desi/organic eggs has risen tremendiously .

These could be imported fake shad fish (passed as ilish) which are also sold abundantly in Kolkata market.
No, it's not Shad fish and fyi there are other kinds of ilish available here at very low price like Chandan ilish(200-250/kg) and khokha ilish(young ilish generally less than half kilo at 300 per kg). I know what I'm talking about, authentic BD ilish from Padma that the Bengalis in Assam are ready to die for.

Desi chicken are the best anyone who gets the chance to buy desi chicken gets it immediately
Same goes for eggs the demand for desi/organic eggs has risen tremendiously .

Yes desi chicken is best in taste. They are lean, the meat is tougher and has very nice aroma, taste is also very good. Desi chicken egg is also tastier, smaller in size.

I have eaten some wild chicken caught in some forests in BD, their taste is also very good, desi chicken is closest in taste to the wild chicken.

Like I described the best quality, if that fish is kept in ice for 5/6 days, it no longer remains a best quality fish, Bengalis are savvy about fish. Best quality fish must be with all the characteristics and must be fresh, no older than one or two days. We can easily understand how old a fish is just by checking the gills.
You think you Bangladeshis are the only fish lovers around and no one else knows anything about it. Don't forget that your rivers reach BD after traversing the entire length of my state. We don't even need to lift the gills to identify the quality of a good/fresh fish, there are plenty of ways to know that without even touching the fish.

Yes desi chicken is best in taste. They are lean, the meat is tougher and has very nice aroma, taste is also very good.

I have eaten some wild chicken caught in some forests in BD, their taste is also very good, desi chicken is closest in taste to the wild chicken.

How about some exoctic birds ??
Does bangladesh have any and are they hunted...??
We have plently of variety of birds which are huntable
Ducks,chukoor,kherze(i dont know the urdu or english name) we have many options

Maybe same with bangladesh regarding fishes different variety of fish to eat .and the only fish we get is trout.

Back
Top Bottom