What's new

West Bengal won't depend on Bangladesh for Hilsha fish anymore.

This fish is overrated and dangerous to eat. Full of small bones that may get stuck in your throat. Export all Hilsa to Indian and eat more meat. Meat is better than this damn fish.

People kindly put a cap on the crap you are spewing! I am going to comb through the thread once...If I have to come back to the thread it will be warnings next!

So keep it civil! No insulting other people, nationals, ethnic nor members!

Yup, the same one that you posted, the portion towards the tail and abdomen have less bones and are most sought after.

Rou, Bahu(Catla), Pithia etc are something we eat on a daily basis, though one may serve them to their relatives. But we would rather give fishes like borali, ari(another catfish called ar in bengali), xol(snakehead), sitol, magur or goroi etc to our relatives. Then there are tens of other small river fishes that accompany the larger ones in fried/boiled/steamed/curry form. Two-three(including a fish pitika-mashed) fish items are common along with meat and vegetables.

Though, the use of ilish is increasing among our community these days as a result of increase in catch of the fish in the Brahmaputra in the last few years(which also contributed to lowering of prices of BD ilish to remain competitive in the market).

If you had ever been out of the backwater that is assam you would know what i am talking about.

Also you know very little about elish. We may share the same rivers but elish do not spawn so much up river. Its spawning ground are in BD and prior to the farrakka barrage in WB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also you know very little about elish. We may share the same rivers but elish do not spawn so much up river. Its spawning ground are in BD and prior to the farrakka barrage in WB.
You seem to be clueless about the availability of hilsa in Assam, didn't you read the news article i shared just a couple of posts back. If you have, then you are wilfully trying to mislead the forum.

I am sharing another piece for your perusal. Take your own sweet time to go through it to clear your misconceptions.
https://www.sentinelassam.com/news/...-greater-numbers-from-bdesh-into-brahmaputra/

Hilsa migrating upstream in greater numbers from B’desh into Brahmaputra

Believe it or not, an influx of a different kind from Bangladesh is giving gastronomic delights to fish-lovers in Assam. Thanks to two cyclones Hudhud and Phailin that arose over the Bay of Bengal 3-4 years ago, the much-sought-after hilsa fish are beginning to swim upstream into the Brahmaputra during the breeding season from river Padma in the neighbouring country.
The outcome of this migration is that hilsa fish is now selling at unbelievable prices of Rs 200 to 300 per kg in markets in Dhubri district. And mind it, these are not frozen hilsa imported into the State in carriers. Rather, they are being caught fresh in the rivers here in abundant numbers, tickling the taste buds of fish lovers.
The craze for hilsa across Assam has long kept it at a high price range of Rs 800-1200 in different seasons. But since 2013, the cherished hilsa has been landing on the plates of fish lovers in Dhubri at around Rs 200 per kg.
Prahlad Chakraborty, a retired government employee and resident of Dhubri town said he had bought seven hilsa fish weighing 6 kg at Rs 250 per kg a couple of days ago. After stowing away his precious hoard in deep fridge, he is relishing it in installments with various mouth-watering preparations.
“Low prices have ebled many a cash-strapped consumer to once again taste the hilsa, which had gone beyond their reach earlier”, Chakraborty enthused.
An official source in Dhubri district Fishery department informed that normally 1 tonne of hilsa is fished on average during this season every year, but now fishermen are bringing in 2 to 3 tonnes of hilsa per day right from near the Indo-Bangladesh border in Dhubri to Jogighopa basin of the Brahmaputra in lower Assam.
When asked about the reasons behind availability of hilsa in greater numbers in the lower reaches of Brahmaputra, that too for the fifth year running, the official suggested that the fish is beginning to breed here in the Jogighopa basin.
Explaining the phenome, he said that the hilsa species can swim against the current from the sea to the river mouth to lay eggs, as river mouths are ideal breeding ground because of the availability of food and the mixture of freshwater of river and saline water of sea.
“Egg laying of the hilsa which entered in years 2013 and 2014 into Brahmaputra basin during the two cyclones, seems to have been successful, hence Charles Darwin’s survival by tural selection has come into play in this phenomenon,” the official surmised.
Backwater flows into the Brahmaputra from river Padma in Bangladesh continues right up to Tezpur, which is the reason why the hilsa is also found up to Tezpur but not beyond in Brahmaputra’s upstream section, he added.
According to traders, there is plenty of hilsa waiting to be fished and brought into the markets in Dhubri over the next 45 days or so.
Surya Das of Dhubri fish market said that while the famed from Bengal hilsa has stopped coming, its place has been taken up by hilsa caught locally. Nearly 2 tonnes of this hilsa is being supplied up to Guwahati, and in the opposite direction to markets in Siliguri, Jalpaiguri, Alipurduar and Cooch Behar of North Bengal.
“As in last four years, this year too hilsa-lovers are rushing to the markets to buy the delicacy at low prices. I am selling nearly 100 kg of the fish daily here”, said Sanker Das, a local fish seller.

Assam is a literal black hole....no history, no culture, no achievement or relevance in the past, in the present or in the future.
Off topic, but if you really seek to know about Assamese cultural, literary and historical achievements, create a seperate thread. I will gladly contribute and a couple of facts will make you Bangladeshis spellbound.

You seem to be clueless about the availability of hilsa in Assam, didn't you read the news article i shared just a couple of posts back. If you have, then you are wilfully trying to mislead the forum.

I am sharing another piece for your perusal. Take your own sweet time to go through it to clear your misconceptions.
https://www.sentinelassam.com/news/...-greater-numbers-from-bdesh-into-brahmaputra/

Hilsa migrating upstream in greater numbers from B’desh into Brahmaputra

Believe it or not, an influx of a different kind from Bangladesh is giving gastronomic delights to fish-lovers in Assam. Thanks to two cyclones Hudhud and Phailin that arose over the Bay of Bengal 3-4 years ago, the much-sought-after hilsa fish are beginning to swim upstream into the Brahmaputra during the breeding season from river Padma in the neighbouring country.
The outcome of this migration is that hilsa fish is now selling at unbelievable prices of Rs 200 to 300 per kg in markets in Dhubri district. And mind it, these are not frozen hilsa imported into the State in carriers. Rather, they are being caught fresh in the rivers here in abundant numbers, tickling the taste buds of fish lovers.
The craze for hilsa across Assam has long kept it at a high price range of Rs 800-1200 in different seasons. But since 2013, the cherished hilsa has been landing on the plates of fish lovers in Dhubri at around Rs 200 per kg.
Prahlad Chakraborty, a retired government employee and resident of Dhubri town said he had bought seven hilsa fish weighing 6 kg at Rs 250 per kg a couple of days ago. After stowing away his precious hoard in deep fridge, he is relishing it in installments with various mouth-watering preparations.
“Low prices have ebled many a cash-strapped consumer to once again taste the hilsa, which had gone beyond their reach earlier”, Chakraborty enthused.
An official source in Dhubri district Fishery department informed that normally 1 tonne of hilsa is fished on average during this season every year, but now fishermen are bringing in 2 to 3 tonnes of hilsa per day right from near the Indo-Bangladesh border in Dhubri to Jogighopa basin of the Brahmaputra in lower Assam.
When asked about the reasons behind availability of hilsa in greater numbers in the lower reaches of Brahmaputra, that too for the fifth year running, the official suggested that the fish is beginning to breed here in the Jogighopa basin.
Explaining the phenome, he said that the hilsa species can swim against the current from the sea to the river mouth to lay eggs, as river mouths are ideal breeding ground because of the availability of food and the mixture of freshwater of river and saline water of sea.
“Egg laying of the hilsa which entered in years 2013 and 2014 into Brahmaputra basin during the two cyclones, seems to have been successful, hence Charles Darwin’s survival by tural selection has come into play in this phenomenon,” the official surmised.
Backwater flows into the Brahmaputra from river Padma in Bangladesh continues right up to Tezpur, which is the reason why the hilsa is also found up to Tezpur but not beyond in Brahmaputra’s upstream section, he added.
According to traders, there is plenty of hilsa waiting to be fished and brought into the markets in Dhubri over the next 45 days or so.
Surya Das of Dhubri fish market said that while the famed from Bengal hilsa has stopped coming, its place has been taken up by hilsa caught locally. Nearly 2 tonnes of this hilsa is being supplied up to Guwahati, and in the opposite direction to markets in Siliguri, Jalpaiguri, Alipurduar and Cooch Behar of North Bengal.
“As in last four years, this year too hilsa-lovers are rushing to the markets to buy the delicacy at low prices. I am selling nearly 100 kg of the fish daily here”, said Sanker Das, a local fish seller.

Off topic, but if you really seek to know about Assamese cultural, literary and historical achievements, create a seperate thread. I will gladly contribute and a couple of facts will make you Bangladeshis spellbound.

Your article is utter drivel and as to learning about assam and its third rate achievements. .... no thanks

I was in Kolkata last year for 3 months. I saw it in fish markets that it's a common scene Bengalis of West Bengal tell the sellers to give them 300 ilish, meaning 300 grams of ilish, basically a few pieces. In BD nobody buys few pieces of ilish, nobody even sells pieces of ilish. Either buy a whole fish or go away. These guys think they are some first world country with pocket full of cash to buy the best fish from BD whereas BD people just buy the left over crap. Jokers don't know how prized top quality hilsha or any other big fish in BD is and people are willing to fork out big amount of money for a good fish.

This kind of news is regular in BD almost everyday in the hilsha season. This is from 2014, 1.8kg fish sold for TK 5500 per kilo. So the total price of 1.8kg fish was TK 9900, that's more than 100 usd for a 1.8kg fish. Here in Aus top quality salmon is 24 dollars per kilo. They come here with 2000 rupees budget blabbering about them buying the best quality BD hilsha.

https://en.prothomalo.com/economy/news/174117/A-piece-of-hilsa-costs-Tk-5-500
This is not only limited to Hilsa fish buying. If you ask some egg seller in kolkata, how much? They will reply 6 Rs. At first you will not understand. Then after some times, you will realize that he is talking about a single egg. In Bangladesh, egg seller will reply 90 Taka or in some cases 30 Taka in this same question. This small encounter with egg seller amply demonstrate the buying habits of the two people.

Your article is utter drivel and as to learning about assam and its third rate achievements. .... no thanks
You are the one making false accusations here, and when i provide your credible links from the second most circulated english daily in Assam, you negate the facts laid down before you.

The burden of proof is onto you now to show us that Hilsa doesn't migrate to Assam from BD, and if you cannot i expect you to concede defeat and walk away from this discussion with dignity pending which i would urge the mods to take a strong note of your unruly and churlish behaviour.

Oh cool, more big fake talk about liberal spending feelz....

https://unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/wir2019/wir19_fs_bd_en.pdf

KANJOOS.jpg

The sad part it its actually DECLINING from 2017 to 2018. LOL. Kanjoos cant even find money to counter depreciation these days....probably due to their worthless inflation laundering taking its toll (just like on energy consumption too).

@bluesky

Last edited by a moderator:
Mind your language...We dont tolerate such language against other members

Thanks!
You can follow the genesis of that comment, @Abu Shaleh Rumi started this name calling by maligning my Assamese community. Read my posts in this thread, have anyone of them gone against the core topic of the discussion?

They're indian and that guy is even worse assamese..
This caused my retort. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom