ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Welcome Mangoes
جی آیاں نوں

59229848_2547470181965117_6291725328809197568_n.jpg

It is too early isn't it? Normally mangoes come in late June or July.. That's what I remember.. I think the best mangoes are during late July and early August.

Pakistan produces a variety of mangoes each with distinct flavor
and taste. This king of fruits is grown in Punjab and Sindh
provinces of Pakistan. Mango is the undisputed most popular fruit amongst millions of people in the orient particularly in the Pakistan Subcontinent where it is considered to be the King of Fruits.
In fact, there is no exaggeration in claiming that mango, because of its excellent flavor, attractive fragrance, beautiful shades of colors, delicious taste and healthful value, is now recognized as one of
the best fruits in the world market. The delicious and juicy mango
has long been one of the world's most popular fruits. The fruit's
flavor is often described as an exotic mix of pineapple and peach. Mangoes are available from April to September, June and July
usually offer the best produce. The tree is related to the pistachio and cashew and grows to an average of 50 feet in height. If you haven't tried a fresh mango, you're in for a treat!

Kinds of Mangoes

Sindri
Fajri
Chaunsa
Tota Pari
White Chaunsa
Late Langra Camel Puri
Anwar ritol
Nawab puri gola
American
Neelam
etc

Mangoes SEASON

SINDRI

1st May .......... 15th July

FAJRI

1st July .......... 15th August

CHAUNSA

1st July ....................... 30 September

It is too early isn't it? Normally mangoes come in late June or July.. That's what I remember.. I think the best mangoes are during late July and early August.

Time for the world to taste the king of fruits.
Mango

60343272_2570842819627853_7871147037348069376_n.jpg

میٹھے اور ذائقے دار آموں کی پہچان بہت آسان!
ک19 مئ 2019

مگر کیا آپ کسی ریڑھی پر سے آم لیتے ہوئے بتا سکتے ہیں کہ یہ آم میٹھا اور ذائقہ دار ہوگا یا پھیکا؟

یقیناً سننے میں ناممکن لگتا ہوگا مگر یہ ایسا کوئی خاص مشکل بھی نہیں۔

اس موسم میں آموں کی متعدد اقسام بازار میں ملنے لگتی ہیں جن میں سے میٹھے اور خوش ذائقہ پھل منتخب کرنے کے لیے آپ کو بس درج ذیل چند عام چیزوں کو آزما کر دیکھنا ہوگا۔

چھو کر دیکھنا
591f3fc79ef53.jpg

فوٹو بشکریہ وکی ہاؤ

پکے ہوئے اور میٹھے آم چھونے میں معمول سے زیادہ نرم ہوتے ہیں بالکل آڑو کی طرح، مگر اتنے بھی نرم نہیں کہ آپ کی انگلیاں اس کے اندر دھنسنا شروع ہوجائیں، تو آم کو اٹھا کر دیکھیں کہ وہ تھوڑا نرم محسوس ہو تو وہ کھانے کے لیے مناسب ہے، تاہم اگر آپ کچھ دنوں تک آم کھانے کا ارادہ نہیں رکھتے تو ایسے آم منتخب کریں جو سخت ہوں تاکہ وہ گھر میں پوری طرح پک جائے۔

آنکھوں سے جائزہ

591f3fc7a44fa.jpg

فوٹو بشکریہ وکی ہاؤ

اچھا آم کسی فٹ بال جیسی ساخت کا ہوتا ہے تو ایسے پھل کا انتخاب کریں جو گول مٹول ہے، خاص طور پر اس کی ڈنڈی والی جگہ پر کبھی سپاٹ یا پتلا آم منتخب نہ کریں کیونکہ وہ کھٹے ہوسکتے ہیں، جبکہ جھریوں بھرے چھلکوں والے پھل کو بھی لینے سے گریز کریں کیونکہ اب ان کا ذائقہ زیادہ اچھا نہیں رہا ہوگا۔

سونگھ کر دیکھیں

591f3fc7a4d0d.jpg

فوٹو بشکریہ وکی ہاؤ

پکے ہوئے آموں سے تیز اور میٹھی مہک اس کے اوپری ڈنڈی کے پاس آرہی ہوتی ہے، ایک پکے ہوئے آم کی مہک کسی حد تک خربوزے جیسی یا انناس جیسی بھی ہوسکتی ہے۔ آسان الفاظ میں میٹھے اور ذائقے دار آموں کی مہک بہت اچھی ہوتی ہے، اسی طرح چونکہ اس پھل میں قدرتی مٹھاس کافی زیادہ ہوتی ہے تو قدرتی طور پر اس میں مختلف خوشبوئیں ہوسکتی ہیں، اگر وہ ترش یا الکحل جیسی ہو تو یہ اس بات کی علامت ہے کہ یہ پھل پک کر خراب ہونے والا ہے، اسے لینے سے گریز کریں۔

رنگت سے جاننا ممکن؟

591f3fc7a544a.jpg

فوٹو بشکریہ وکی ہاؤ

ویسے آموں کو رنگ کے مطابق چننا اس کے میٹھے ہونے کے حوالے سے کوئی بہت زیادہ بہترین ذریعہ نہیں کیونکہ مختلف نسلوں کے رنگ الگ ہوتے ہیں، جیسے شوخ پیلا، سبز یا دیگر، جس سے اس کے پکے ہونے یا میٹھے ہونے کا معلوم ہونا مشکل ہوتا ہے۔ اس کے مقابلے آموں کی مختلف اقسام اور ان کے سیزن سے واقفیت سے آپ زیادہ اچھا اندازہ لگاسکتے ہیں کہ آپ کس قسم کے پھل کو تلاش کررہے ہیں۔

These delicious mango recipes will satisfy your sweet tooth

44.jpg

BISMA TIRMIZI

There's a reason mangoes are considered the king of fruits. Make the most of them this season with these recipes.

595de801b8ce9.jpg

Be sure to make try them when it’s still summer and the mango reigns.

Our annual desi love affair with the aam or mango is passionate, real and short.

Come mango season we all sing, eat, dance, speak, devour and breathe mangoes. The renowned poet Mirza Ghalib best understood our relationship with this reigning emperor of fruits. “In my view,” said Ghalib, “there are only two essential points about mangoes — they should be sweet and they should be plentiful.”

First eaten some 4,000 years ago, the mango, according to Encyclopedia Britannica, “is inextricably connected with the folklore and religious ceremonies of the subcontinent. Buddha himself was presented with a mango grove that he might find repose in its grateful shade. The name mango […] is most likely derived from the Malayam, manna, which the Portuguese adopted as manga when they came to Kerala in 1498 for the spice trade. Probably because of the difficulty in transporting seeds (they retain their viability for a short time only), the tree was not introduced into the Western Hemisphere until about 1700, when it was planted in Brazil; it reached the West Indies in the year 1740.”

The two recipes I share with you today are delicious, and will be a sure hit with family and friends. Here they are, from my kitchen to yours. Be sure to make try them when it’s still summer and the mango reigns.

There’s nothing aam about this summer fruit!

Mango Pound Cake

595de86850581.jpg

Mango pound cake.

Ingredients

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup canola oil

2 egg

1 cup plus 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

1½ cup chopped peeled mango

½ cup chopped pecans

Confectioners’ sugar and whipped topping, optional

Method

In a small bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and gradually beat into the sugar mixture, mixing well. Fold in the chopped mango and pecans.

Transfer to a 9-inch greased baking pan. Bake at 375°C for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Let it sit for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack. Cool completely, garnish with confectioners’ sugar and whipped topping. Enjoy!

Mango Banoffee Pie
595de801b8ce9.jpg

Mango Pie.

Ingredients

6 to 6 ½ oz crushed Graham crackers

3 oz. butter

4 perfectly ripe mangoes

14 oz. can of condensed milk

(Note: Seal the condensed milk — in its original can — and boil in a full pot of water for four to five hours until the condensed milk turns to caramel. Please ensure that the can is submerged in boiling water for the entire length of time it is set on the stove to boil. Keep on adding more water as it evaporates and ensure the water does not run out in the boiling pot, since that will cause the can to explode and can be dangerous. I usually boil several cans and freeze them, so they are ready to use as a quick and easy dessert when needed.) 1 pint heavy whipping cream (or double crème).

Optional, for decoration Crushed graham crackers Chocolate shavings A dash of coffee powder Castor sugar to taste to be added to whipping cream while whipping (Note: I prefer not to add it since there is enough sweetness in the caramel, mangoes and crust. The unsweetened whipped cream deliciously balances out the sweetness of the pie.)

Method

Mix graham crackers and melted butter in a food processor, form pie crust by pressing down the pastry at the base of a pie dish and set in fridge to chill for half-an-hour to one hour. Once the crust is chilled, slice four mangoes and set on the crust, pour caramel (add a dash of milk to make the caramel consistency spreadable, maintaining the thickness), beat whipping cream until it forms soft peaks. Pour on caramel and decorate if desired. Store in the refrigerator to set.

Mango Juice

44.jpg

BISMA TIRMIZI .... FOOD CONTRIBUTOR

A little about the mighty mango and two recipes to enjoy it this summer

593a585aea078.jpg

I never understood why oranges harvest in the winter. Why is it that bright, sweet, delicious citrus grace our glasses during chilly days and cold nights, right?

Nature must have its reasons, but I don’t quite understand them. However, what I do understand is our need to consume chilled fruit juices, fruit punches, sorbet, yogurt and milk laced fruit drinks in the hot sub-continental summer. Yes, phul ka ras (fruit juice) is a sweet life force that keeps us nourished and hydrated during the long hot summer, and has been doing the same for our ancestors of millenniums past.

593a56fe95ff8.jpg

I thought I’d focus on a variety of fruit punches and drinks, but the king of fruits, none other than the mango beckoned, and I humbly caved in, content in the knowledge that most desis would forgive my folly for they are slave to the mango, much like me, and of course Mirza Ghalib.

Mirza Ghalib was passionate about mangoes, aptly scribed in the article titled, The fruit that sent Mirza Ghalib into raptures.

However dismissive one is of the opinion of others, one cannot help but take Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib seriously on this topic. Quite apart from that impressive name and his lofty standing as the Urdu poet, Ghalib has a well-deserved reputation as a mango-lover extraordinaire.

One has to go through his letters – the first instance of Urdu prose –- to realise that his passion for mangoes crosses the line into obsession. I have often gazed longingly at the names of mangoes mentioned by him in his missives to his friends, and tried to imagine what many of the unfamiliar ones would taste like.

Ghalib’s mango-philia is so strong that he is not averse to humbling himself for a chance to be gifted the fruit. In a letter addressed to the caretaker of Calcutta’s Imambargah, he wrote: 'Not only am I a slave to my stomach, I am a weak person as well. I desire that my table be adorned and that my soul be comforted. The wise ones know that both these [desires] can be satisfied by mangoes.'

593a552e94dc9.jpg

Ghalib’s concern isn’t without basis, for he certainly had a voracious appetite for the fruit. As a 60-year-old, he laments in a letter that he can no longer eat 'more than ten or twelve at a sitting..... and if they are large ones, then a mere six or seven. Alas, the days of youth have come to an end, indeed, the days of life itself have come to an end.'

Altaf Hussain Hali, Ghalib’s student and biographer, relayed anecdotes about Ghalib and mangoes in his book Yaadgaar-e Ghalib. A few of these mango tango tales make for familiar and fun story telling. It is said that once Ghalib and Bahadur Shah Zafar were walking through Baagh-e Hayaat Bakhsh, a fruit orchard reserved for the nobility. Ghalib peered at the mangoes with sufficient intent for Zafar to ask what he was looking for. Ghalib replied in a calculated fashion:

I have heard the elders say:

bar sar-e har daana ba-navishta ayaañ

ka-een fulaañ ibn-e fulaañ ibn-e fulaañ

Translation: On every piece of mango one can see written quite clearly, the name of the person it belongs to.

Zafar got the message and Ghalib his case of mangoes.

On another occasion where mango was under discussion, Maulana Fazl-e Haq turned to Ghalib and asked him for his opinion on the fruit. Ghalib replied, mangoes need to satisfy only two conditions, they need to be sweet, and plentiful.

When it was time for me to indulge in mango tango I turned to the old and natural; fruit, soda, and fruit juice.

Here it is from my kitchen to yours.

Mango and Strawberry Virgin Mojito

593a552ea74ad.jpg

Ingredients

2 mangoes, cubed

8 strawberries, halved (or any other seasonal berry)

1 large orange (sliced, or any other citrus)

1 lemon, cut 1/8

16 oz. club soda

16 oz. clear soft drink (any brand)

Crushed ice

A few mint leaves

Method
Cut and slice fruit, add club soda, let sit in fridge for an hour, add soft drink, crushed ice and mint, serve chilled. Serves 4.

Mango Orange Punch

593a5531418be.png

Ingredients

2 mangoes, cubed

16 oz. orange soda (soft drink)

16 oz. fruit juice

4 to 6 scoops of mango sorbet

A few mint leaves

Method

Mix and serve, chilled. Serves 4

A View of Mangoes Stall - Lahore c. 1900s

922834_10151439415408214_648446989_n.jpg