What's new

Tata truck plant near Dhaka

And the indians in this forum have harped on about it continously
Oh really? I was regular on this forum when this NEWS was announced. It was the BD members who did not spare this from the routine INDIA BASHING. Go ahead and search the thread. See what im speaking about.

this is a commercial loan not a gift as some indians make it out to be.
Yes, tell that to some your mates here. We know what this is and oppose it as a waste of Tax payers money.

Considering the conditions and rates even this india friendly government is having second throughts about it.
Is it so, care to let us know your source?

Yea right, why don't you come to BD and tell us in person how benevolent and friendly you guy are and see the reception you get.

Well, get off that Hate HighWay mate. How you precieve us and our policies is your Business. Accept it if you can. Protest -- If you cant. Twitting on the net does not really achieve anything. Serious.

As you are so regular, then open your eyes and stop your arrogant blinkered indian nationalistic attitude...if there was any bashing it may have been well deserved.

here is some info for you.

India has offered 1.75 percent interest rate on $ 1 billion credit to Bangladesh, time limit for its repayment is 20 years including a grace period. Interest rate of ADB's Ordinary Capital Resources (OCR) stands at London Inter-Bank Offer Rate (LIBOR currently less than 1% for periods of 20 years or more) plus 0.6 percent and loan repayment period is 25 years including grace period. So in both rate and period the ADB is still better.

this is the main reason the government of BD has not yet accepted the offer, plus a few other conditions.

if you need source then read some other media sources then indian. try Bangladeshi News site | Bangladeshi News Website | Bangla Daily Newspaper | Bangla News Paper | Kollata News | Calcutta News | Bangla Newspepar | Indian bangla newspaper you'll find some there.

As for hate, either get use to it or find another forum. PS i ain't your mate.

Good to see Tata investing in BD. It will certainly reduce costs of Tata trucks in BD and BD's export will be increased.

China or not, we are capable to compete with Indian textiles and steel in the Indian market. So, instead of ridculing BD as China, better ask your govt to open your market. Take chance with a small BD and see the result. By the way, our textile exports have surpassed those of India about one year ago. Does it perplex you?

We have already seen the result. BD market flashed with Indian goods. And your textile industry is run on special exceptions given rich countries. We know how many Tata trucks run on the roads of BD and what is their %. So gets the fact straight.

Again I say being a lot poorer you can't say India poor! Thats a shameful argument!

Just want to make clear that..Indias export become less in many areas because of the strong internal market..Textiles,Cashews and many more sectors which we used to export now interested in Internal markets rather than exporting..and also why don't we both open our markets and see who is going to survive the competition ;)

Then, do not worry about the competition from our side. Open your gates and see the results.

I am not underestimating anything mate..already a FTA is there between India and Bangladesh ..It clearly shows we dont fear anyone's product..our Industry has survived Chinese prodcuts ..sure we can handle Bangladeshi products too

India Bangladesh SAARC, SAFTA Member Countries. India Bangladesh Free Trade Agreement, Bilateral Trade Areement.
All those FTAs with India are just paper tigers with meaningless words. These words cannot be translated into action only because of India's non-written codes that prohibit any big export from BD.

Duty-free access to India meaningless – Experts

March 29, 2010

The Bangladesh government and clothing trade bodies have requested the Indian government to lift the quota on exports of ready-made garments to India from Bangladesh, since it is not benefiting Bangladesh.

In September 2008, India had permitted Bangladesh to export eight million pieces of garments duty-free to India in a financial year, with the purpose to balance the trade gap between the two countries.

But according to experts, the good intentions never translated in to action, despite there being a good demand for Bangladeshi goods for the reason that, India imposed eight percent countervailing duty and a four percent special additional duty.

This made the landing cost of Bangladeshi clothing very costly in India and completely negated the impact of duty-free access, due to which Bangladesh has been able to ship only 50 percent of the eight million pieces quota.

They are also of the opinion that exports under the tariff rate quota (TRQ) involve long procedures, which sometimes discourages exporters and advice that, if India really wants to make the offer meaningful, it must relax rules.

At a recently held meeting it was decided that, Bangladesh would explain its current position vis-à-vis the TRQ and then request India to remove the ceiling on Bangladeshi exports of clothing to that country.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India

Good to see Tata investing in BD. It will certainly reduce costs of Tata trucks in BD and BD's export will be increased.

We have already seen the result. BD market flashed with Indian goods. And your textile industry is run on special exceptions given rich countries. We know how many Tata trucks run on the roads of BD and what is their %. So gets the fact straight.

Again I say being a lot poorer you can't say India poor! Thats a shameful argument!

All that yada yada coming from some guy from the land with the largest number of impoverished poor people in the known history.

Twist this fact Mr. "I only get to eat one meal a day"

Then, do not worry about the competition from our side. Open your gates and see the results.

Ohh I am not..as I said open both gates and let us see..any way its not in my hands..

I will welcome TATA's investment but 500 cr from TATA and 500 cr from Nitol makes me suspicious about the whole deal as it probably too less of an investment to build a complete Truck manufacturing plant. May it be another Tax evading scam by Nitol and TATA, who knows by importing disassmebled parts then reassemble it here and then export it to Europe to get the tariff free market access. We have to wait and see.

:coffee::coffee:

Dude what ever their intention is,it helps creating Jobs there and also once MNC's start investing in your country no matter how small the investment is,this will encourage others to invest also..Over all its a good deal for Bangladesh but you guys wont realise it..too much hatred blinds you guys..

India said many times about 1 billion $ loan. God knows how Indians will act towards Bangladeshis after giving us this so called job opportunity! And that is my concern.

Skies if you read most of the posts here in this Bangladesh section about anything between India and Bangladesh,you will know who started Dadagiri..we love our country as much as you love yours..when others insulting our country you expect us to be silent and watch it??

You did not make any sense there..

This kind of tax evading deals are all over and very common. I am still not convinced that 1000 cr. could make a truck manufacturing plant. How much did TATA cost for Nano project????

There are a few differences which I would like to point out.....

1.The production line of a consumer vehicle like Tata Nano is more complex than that of a small Pick-up vehicle like Tata Ace.This adds up to the cost.
2.The SEZs in India come at a high cost.There are also many strings attached to it ,the major one being the welfare of the people affected by the construction of the SEZ.Costs are comparatively less is Bangladesh.
3.Labour is cheaper in Bangladesh.
4.The critical (motor) parts which are too complicated to be manufactured in Bangladesh at this point will be imported into Bangladesh.That reduces the investment required at the primary level,unlike Nano,as in its case,most of the parts are produced in the plant only.
5.Nano went through cost overrun after the Singur fiasco,which is not the case here...

Well,these are the main reasons for the difference in investment required for a Nano plant in India and an Ace plant in Bangladesh.....

Please enlighten me on how this tax evasion thing works.I m inquisitive.

Nitol plans Nano plant in Bangladesh​

Brand new car may cost customers Tk 3 lakh
Kazi Azizul Islam

Nitol Motors, a local assembling company which sells automobiles manufactured by India’s Tata Motors, is now planning to make and market a Bangladeshi version of Nano, Tata’s much-hyped brand affordable to the lower middle class Indians.

The chairman of Nitol Motors, Abdul Matlub Ahmad, claims that the Nano cars can be made in his planned pant in Bangladesh and the customer-level price of each car will not exceed Tk 3 lakh.

If a deal is struck between Tata and Nitol, the small car manufacturing plant would be set up in Chittagong or Khulna in view of the proximity of the site to seaport, he told New Age on Monday.

The Nitol chairman is scheduled to have a ‘crucial’ meeting in this regard with the managing director of Tata Motors, PM Telang, in Dhaka on March 25.

However, the objective of Telang’s visit is to expand the company’s business in Bangladesh, especially enhancing capacity of Tata’s commercial vehicles assembling unit in Jessore and setting up a new plant in Kishoreganj for assembling Tata’s ACE series of mini trucks, said Matlub.

‘It is my dream to manufacture made-in Bangladesh cars and export them to different countries after meeting domestic demand,’ the Nitol chief said adding that he would be negotiating a deal with the Tata Motors to set up the plant. He mentioned that almost 60 per cent of Nano components would be made in the planned Bangladesh plant under the supervision of Tata Motors.

Bangladeshi customers showed interests in Nano showcased in the India Trade Fair in Dhaka in the past month. ‘But the price of each piece of imported Nano, including one hundred per cent duty, would stand at nearly Tk 6 lakh,’ Matlub pointed out.

He gave his estimate that a unit requires annual production of at least 50,000 cars for its business viability. ‘We see the prospect of selling 10,000 Nano cars a year while the rest can be exported,’ he added.

According to the businessman, northeast Indian states and West Bengal can the convenient export destinations and Nano cars can also be shipped to Europe or Africa.

Nano is a rear-engine four-passenger car which Tata launched in the Indian market in March 2009. It was a pledge by Tata group chairman Ratan N Tata to provide each of common Indians with a car at a price of Rs 100,000.

You did not make any sense there..

This kind of tax evading deals are all over and very common. I am still not convinced that 1000 cr. could make a truck manufacturing plant. How much did TATA cost for Nano project????
One wonders about the state of the Bangladesh Govt if there are more ppl with this kind of thinking out there. Giving Tax Breaks and financial incentives are very standard feature for most countires (incuding US) to attract investments. In india, EVEN TODAY, many states will give you a tax break & land for starting off IT businesses. You can get tax breaks for 20 YEARS if you start a chip factory. The TATA NANO plant was huge benificiary of state incentives in Gujarat so were the plants of Ford, GM, Volkswagen & Mercedes in Pune and Chennai when they set up shop- you know why?

1) THEY CREATE JOBS- MILLIONS OF THEM
2) THEY BRING BILLIONS INTO THE INDIAN ECONOMY EVERY YEAR THROUGH AUTO COMPONENT AND IT EXPORTS
3) THEY SPEED UP THE ECONOMIC GROWTH OF THE WHOLE REGION etc. etc. etc.
Heck if there were more ppl with this kind of thinking, it won't be surprising if you stagnate

Ohh I am not..as I said open both gates and let us see..any way its not in my hands..

We dont have any protectionism in Bangladesh. Come and export anything here except norcotics and alcohol. You know we love your COWS most..

And for India, anti dumping is the extreme measure imposed upon a hostile trade partner which in this case was Bangladesh. Now you should know how hostile your govt is towards BD products.

India lifts anti-dumping duty on Bangladeshi battery
Dhaka: India has formally withdrawn the controversial anti-dumping duty on the lead acid battery export from Bangladesh.

The Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance of India issued a notification, saying there was no export from Bangladesh during the period of investigation and the dumping margin could not be established.

The Indian government imposed the duty on lead acid batteries from all Bangladeshi exporters on January 2, 2002. Rahimafrooz, the leading battery exporter of the country, was the only private party to make an appeal against the duty.

The weak merit of the anti-dumping case coupled with Bangladesh government's petition in the World Trade Organisation (WTO) prompted New Delhi to consider withdrawing the duty on Bangladesh.

The Bangladesh government placed the case before the WTO and a consultation was held on February 26-27, 2004. The Indian authority initiated a review on March 18 upon petition from the Indian importers.

However, the Indian government notification said, "The lead acid batteries originating in or exported from China and Korea have been exported to India below normal value, resulting in dumping. However, the subject goods exported from Japan are above normal value."

"New Delhi withdrew the controversial duty on Bangladeshi batteries as it realised that it had a weak case in hand. There were also technical faults in the case as far as WTO anti-dumping duty rules are concerned and it had very weak foundation," said a government official.

He added had the government taken the case to the WTO earlier, Dhaka could have scored a big victory over New Delhi.

Bangladeshi battery manufacturers have lost huge market stakes because of the duty. The controversial duty also aggravated the trade disputes between Bangladesh and India.

Dhaka raised the issue in different bilateral platforms, but New Delhi insisted that the duty be levied purely in line with the existing WTO guidelines.

Bangladeshi battery used to enjoy preferential tariff facility under the South Asian Preferential Trading Agreement (Sapta). The duty saw an end to battery export to the next door neighbour as Indian importers had to pay as high as 131 percent duty on the item from Bangladesh.

Earlier, battery import duty in India was 64.21 percent, but under the preferential arrangement, the importers were paying 38.33 percent duty.

Indian authorities imposed anti-dumping duty at a rate of US$ 2.53 per kg on Bangladeshi batteries weighing between 7 kg and 30 kg a piece.

When asked, an official of Rahimafrooz said the company will start exporting lead acid batteries to India soon. "In fact, we have lost our previous market because of the duty. We have to make a fresh start now," he said.

The World Trade Review

Back
Top Bottom