What's new

Failure of Another Indian Brand: Why Indian Automotive Mfr. Mahindra Left Bangladesh

Bhaiyye Punjab mein bhi marwadi hote hai. Nagaland mein bhi milenge tujhe marwadi
Kaliye , marwadi sari duniya me milte hai , lekin rajsthani baniya ko marwadi kahte hai unke surname bhi alag alag hote hai sabki origin marwad ki hoti hai , punjabi business man punjab me paida huye punjabi ko kahte hai jo mostly khatri hote hai , punjab ke baniya bhi bade businessman hai lekin khatriyo se alag hote hai aur apna surname baniyo wala hi lagate hai .

Kaliye , marwadi sari duniya me milte hai , lekin rajsthani baniya ko marwadi kahte hai unke surname bhi alag alag hote hai sabki origin marwad ki hoti hai , punjabi business man punjab me paida huye punjabi ko kahte hai jo mostly khatri hote hai , punjab ke baniya bhi bade businessman hai lekin khatriyo se alag hote hai aur apna surname baniyo wala hi lagate hai .
Bhaiyya sub human, North Indian, Gujarati, Marwadi log cockroach ho tum. Sab jagah milte ho.

Agarwal Marwadi bhi Punjabi bolte hai Punjab mein khud ko Punjabi khelate hai

Last edited:
ignore that "im**" dolt. he it just click-baiter

No market is negligible, Say to this any business and will laugh at your mentality - y

Well he says this but all three largest Japanese motorcycle brands have assembly plants locally (soon going into indigenous/local content). Plus there are half a dozen local motorcycle brands. Sounds like "sour grapes" to me.

The story is the same for Indian electronic and home appliance brands like Godrej and Videocon, among others from India. They stayed in Bangladesh for twenty years but in the end exited the market. No one bought their products.

These Indian brands also exited Bangladesh market because they don't get the same props/benefits here, which they get in the protected license raj Indian market. Plus for most of the Indian stuff - quality is not up to snuff, definitely not like Japanese or even Chinese products. People know about that here in Bangladesh.

Now - even local brands are capturing most of the local market, such as Walton etc.

Then Bangaldsh has access to better cars and Indian company is simpl y not able to make better product - competition is tough

You hit the nail on the head. India is still more or less a closed market. Bangladesh even in Pakistan times was a wide open market.

When you have a closed market you have a license Raj situation, dominated by inefficient companies exploiting special govt. favors.

Indians say that their market is open, but in reality it is not. Far from it.

Low quality goods sold in a protected market to line the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats - egged on by opportunist industrialists.

Ok, so they don't want to burn their cash to expand in a piss-poor market but will keep selling their products through various distributors...

Is this a failure?

At the end of the day, Mahindra products did not sell (some did) and they could not "cut it". End of story.

Last edited:
I have a Mahindra Xuv500 since 2013. Still is an absolute joy to drive and looks good too. For comparison I also have a 2012 toyota LC200 which is in a different league. But the mahindra is still not top bad compared to the LC200

Maybe their strategy failed in BD, but their products are good in my experience.
1689701262451.jpeg

At the end of the day, Mahindra products did not sell (some) and they could not "cut it". End of story.

The article says Mahindra has wound up a company it incorporated few years back, there is no change in sales. The sales will continue through it's various distributors as was going on even before.
The article is poorly written, which is understandable coming from a Bangladeshi but atleast read what you post instead of listening to the voice inside your brain.

Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) data showed that 2,867 vehicles were sold between January and March, bringing the monthly average to 955 units, down 31 per cent from a monthly average of 1,391 seen in 2022.

If this statistics is correct, Mahindra will sell more in single city in India than in entire BD. Totally pointless market.

I asked a question earlier, how many Merc/BWM are sold in BD by the so-called rich in bangladesh? Looks like these guys are still counting the vehicles in the road.

I have a Mahindra Xuv500 since 2013. Still is an absolute joy to drive and looks good too. For comparison I also have a 2012 toyota LC200 which is in a different league. But the mahindra is still not top bad compared to the LC200

Maybe their strategy failed in BD, but their products are good in my experience.
View attachment 939483

Inside India and outside India is a different story.

What you have in your XUV-500 is a back-dated SUV reminiscent of world market cars (style-wise and tech-wise) from fifteen years ago.

What the rest-of-the-world has is exemplified in a common Toyota SUV comparable to your car, which is the Toyota RAV4 or Highlander. Both are (in their fifth generation more or less) available in Bangladesh and are extremely common, as are similar SUVs from other Japanese and Korean brands (Tucson, Santa Fe etc.).

I don't have to mention Toyota reliability, but here are some stylistic renditions of the RAV4.

1689719131707.png

1689719168021.png

Design wise - Indian cars are really backdated.

Both are (in their fifth generation more or less) available in Bangladesh and are extremely common, as are similar SUVs from other Japanese and Korean brands (Tucson, Santa Fe etc.).
So, looks like all the rich people in BD are still counting the number of luxury cars in BD. Maybe they buy so many, nobody is able to count such a big number.
Notice how none of them ever gave a number so far.

Mahindra must have done market study before entering. So there's money to be made definitely.
Not all investments can give profit, I think they are now trying Australia market.
Let's see, if they can increase thier build quality like TATA to be successful.
Mahindras build quality is excellent , their SUV scorpio has big presence on Indian roads .

So, looks like all the rich people in BD are still counting the number of luxury cars in BD. Maybe they buy so many, nobody is able to count such a big number.
Notice how none of them ever gave a number so far.

It's not quantity - but quality. Car ownership may be less per capita, but people will not buy little tiny cars that resemble a tuk-tuk or an auto-rickshaw. Even Middle class people will save money before getting a Toyota Allion/Premio instead of what passes for a toy - like the Tata Nano. This Allion is bigger than a Corolla and boasts Lexus-like smoothness and handling in smaller package.

1689738856315.png

Or another popular model is a Toyota Noah. Bangladesh is not India, circumstances and people's taste/choices are different. Bangladeshis and Pakistanis have been used to Japanese cars since 1947. Something like the Indian Toyota Innova would never sell in Bangladesh. Here is a Noah.

1689739100105.png

Allion and Noah are the cheapest cars sold in Bangladesh and are priced around 35 to 40 lacs. But there are also very pricey cars in Bangladesh, priced at several crores. People in India could never afford cars at Bangladeshi prices. Tariff is 300% minimum, then 800% for luxury cars like MBZ's, Range Rovers, Audi and BMWs.

Last edited:
The article says Mahindra has wound up a company it incorporated few years back, there is no change in sales. The sales will continue through it's various distributors as was going on even before.
The article is poorly written, which is understandable coming from a Bangladeshi but atleast read what you post instead of listening to the voice inside your brain.

So writer of the article has $hit for brains - and so do I.

Thanks - I guess....

The few Mahindras I have seen on the road (very rare) look like this. I guess it is cheap and usually day laborers are riding on it.

1689739990586.png

Bias Ply tires, Leaf springs back and front, hinge doors, flat windshield - not exactly the epitome of modernity, is it? Only ode to the twentieth century is the ugly plastic fascia and headlamps - which will crack in no time from UV exposure.

But Mahindra sales people say - as a construction vehicle you can fix it with parts bought from a roadside stand!

That is no respite because by the third year the engine is gone and so is the body, rusted to oblivion. Unless the plastic fascia goes first, erm - no guarantees there....

This wraps up why Mahindra vehicles don't sell where better options are available, they are throwaway objects and bad investments with no good return on the money spent. It may be king of the road in India, but that speaks more about choices available in India itself, than anything else.

even local brands are capturing most of the local market, such as Walton etc.
Walton is not some cheap arse brand - It has established itself to become a very good Brand - and I am very glad to find that Bangladesh
only 52 years old has managed to get a very decent Brand - Competetiion has been raised to next level for Indian Products now

Low quality goods sold in a protected market to line the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats - egged on by opportunist industrialists.
That why is Expansion in Africa is the option till Africans also develop or get access to better Items

Bangladesh even in Pakistan times was a wide open market.
I bet Bangladesh Market is much better Than the Pakistani Market - We were going to have good Car manufacturers during the IK era then you know military junta jumped over as usual to destroy it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom