What's new

Tata truck plant near Dhaka

You must not underestimate our strength in some sectors. Here I am talking about the doors that India keeps closed when it is export from BD. Why Indian govt is so worried about our products? Only consumers have the right to decide if certain products are good or not. So, open your doors to see the reaction of your consumers.

I am not underestimating anything mate..already a FTA is there between India and Bangladesh ..It clearly shows we dont fear anyone's product..our Industry has survived Chinese prodcuts ..sure we can handle Bangladeshi products too

India Bangladesh SAARC, SAFTA Member Countries. India Bangladesh Free Trade Agreement, Bilateral Trade Areement.

bangladesh industry base
Bangladesh -- cotton textiles, jute, garments, tea processing, paper newsprint, cement, chemical fertilizer, light engineering, sugar .

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bg.html

few more

Economy - overview:
The economy has grown 5-6% per year since 1996 despite political instability, poor infrastructure, corruption, insufficient power supplies, and slow implementation of economic reforms. Bangladesh remains a poor, overpopulated, and inefficiently-governed nation. Although more than half of GDP is generated through the service sector, about 45% of Bangladeshis are employed in the agriculture sector, with rice as the single-most-important product. Bangladesh's growth was resilient during the 2008-09 global financial crisis and recession. Garment exports, totaling $12.3 billion in FY09 and remittances from overseas Bangladeshis totaling $9.7 billion in FY09 accounted for almost 25% of GDP.

GDP (purchasing power parity):
$242.4 billion (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 47
$229.5 billion (2008 est.)
$216.5 billion (2007 est.)
note: data are in 2009 US dollars

GDP (official exchange rate):
$93.2 billion (2009 est.)

GDP - real growth rate:
5.6% (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 18
6% (2008 est.)
6.2% (2007 est.)

GDP - per capita (PPP):
$1,600 (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 193
$1,500 (2008 est.)
$1,400 (2007 est.)
note: data are in 2009 US dollars

GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 18.7%
industry: 28.7%
services: 52.6% (2009 est.)

Labor force:
72.5 million
country comparison to the world: 8
note: extensive export of labor to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Oman, Qatar, and Malaysia; workers' remittances estimated at $4.8 billion in 2005-06. (2009 est.)

Labor force - by occupation:
agriculture: 45%
industry: 30%
services: 25% (2008)

Unemployment rate:
2.5% (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 19
2.5% (2008 est.)

Population below poverty line:
36.3% (2008 est.)

Household income or consumption by percentage share:
lowest 10%: 8.8%
highest 10%: 26.6% (2008 est.)

Distribution of family income - Gini index:
33.2 (2005)
country comparison to the world: 94
33.6 (1996)

Investment (gross fixed):
23.7% of GDP (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 51

Budget:
revenues: $11.4 billion
expenditures: $16.3 billion (2010 est.)

Public debt:
38.2% of GDP (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 68
39.4% of GDP (2008 est.)

Inflation rate (consumer prices):
5.1% (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 143
8.9% (2008 est.)

Central bank discount rate:
5% (15 December 2009)
country comparison to the world: 107
5% (31 December 2008)

Commercial bank prime lending rate:
13% (30 September 2009)
country comparison to the world: 38
16.38% (31 December 2008)

Stock of money:
$10.35 billion (30 September 2009)
country comparison to the world: 48
$9.294 billion (31 December 2008)

Stock of quasi money:
$45.23 billion (30 September 2009)
country comparison to the world: 33
$37.98 billion (31 December 2008)

Stock of domestic credit:
$47.03 billion (31 December 2008)
country comparison to the world: 53
$40.1 billion (31 December 2007)

Market value of publicly traded shares:
$6.671 billion (31 December 2008)
country comparison to the world: 74
$6.793 billion (31 December 2007)
$3.61 billion (31 December 2006)

Agriculture - products:
rice, jute, tea, wheat, sugarcane, potatoes, tobacco, pulses, oilseeds, spices, fruit; beef, milk, poultry

Industries:
cotton textiles, jute, garments, tea processing, paper newsprint, cement, chemical fertilizer, light engineering, sugar

Industrial production growth rate:
5.9% (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 17

Electricity - production:
22.99 billion kWh (2007 est.)

Electricity - consumption:
21.38 billion kWh (2007 est.)
country comparison to the world: 67

Electricity - exports:
0 kWh (2008 est.)

Electricity - imports:
0 kWh (2008 est.)

Oil - production:
6,426 bbl/day (2008 est.)
country comparison to the world: 92

Oil - consumption:
95,000 bbl/day (2008 est.)
country comparison to the world: 76

Oil - exports:
2,612 bbl/day (2007 est.)
country comparison to the world: 111

Oil - imports:
87,660 bbl/day (2007 est.)

Oil - proved reserves:
28 million bbl (1 January 2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 81

Natural gas - production:
17.9 billion cu m (2008 est.)
country comparison to the world: 32

Natural gas - consumption:
17.9 billion cu m (2008 est.)
country comparison to the world: 36

Natural gas - exports:
0 cu m (2008 est.)
country comparison to the world: 53

Natural gas - imports:
0 cu m (2008 est.)
country comparison to the world: 80

Natural gas - proved reserves:
141.6 billion cu m (1 January 2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 48

Current account balance:
$2.808 billion (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 31
$1.032 billion (2008 est.)

Exports:
$15.91 billion (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 70
$15.44 billion (2008 est.)

Exports - commodities:
garments, frozen fish and seafood, jute and jute goods, leather

Exports - partners:
US 24%, Germany 15.3%, UK 10%, France 7.4%, Netherlands 5.5%, Italy 4.5%, Spain 4.2% (2008)

Imports:
$20.22 billion (2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 69
$21.51 billion (2008 est.)

Imports - commodities:
machinery and equipment, chemicals, iron and steel, textiles, foodstuffs, petroleum products, cement

Imports - partners:
China 15.8%, India 15.7%, Kuwait 8.1%, Singapore 7.6%, Japan 4.4% (2008)

Reserves of foreign exchange and gold:
$9.213 billion (31 December 2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 57
$5.789 billion (31 December 2008 est.)

Debt - external:
$23.22 billion (31 December 2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 62
$22.83 billion (31 December 2008 est.)

Stock of direct foreign investment - at home:
$7.235 billion (31 December 2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 81
$5.971 billion (31 December 2008 est.)

Stock of direct foreign investment - abroad:
$98 million (31 December 2009 est.)
country comparison to the world: 76
$97 million (31 December 2008 est.)

Exchange rates:
taka (BDT) per US dollar - 69.047 (2009), 68.554 (2008), 69.893 (2007), 69.031 (2006), 64.328 (2005)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publica...Bangladesh&countryCode=bg&regionCode=sas#2142

my 2 cent for bd economics for INDIAN eco go on this link

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/in.html

&

https://www.cia.gov/library/publica...Name=India&countryCode=in&regionCode=sas#2116

this might help all bd member regarding economy base

Praveen..you are better than this man...why help them in derailing the thread..

First of all its a private firm which is investing there..so its there decision how much money to be invested in your country..and also why such negativity in everything mate?There are plenty of Job opportunities created in your country because of it..But most of the Bangladeshis interested in bashing India rather than seeing the good side of it :disagree:

I will welcome TATA's investment but 500 cr from TATA and 500 cr from Nitol makes me suspicious about the whole deal as it probably too less of an investment to build a complete Truck manufacturing plant. May it be another Tax evading scam by Nitol and TATA, who knows by importing disassmebled parts then reassemble it here and then export it to Europe to get the tariff free market access. We have to wait and see.

:coffee::coffee:

There are plenty of Job opportunities created in your country because of it..But most of the Bangladeshis interested in bashing India rather than seeing the good side of it :disagree:

India said many times about 1 billion $ loan. God knows how Indians will act towards Bangladeshis after giving us this so called job opportunity! And that is my concern.

What do you mean by the words Bangladeshi brain? Although you are an ignorant Indian, but even then you have every right to negate a post or criticize a post of a Bangladeshi, but you are not supposed to say ****** things about my country, because you yourself are living in a very poor country called India, although you have a few conglomerates.

But, because your country has a few conglomerates, it does not necessarily put all your people in the category of rich people. But, here and in another post you have made deregotory comments about Bangladesh in a way as if you guys are very brainy and have already become very rich.

Why Indians think that way I just do not know, but in Bangladesh people do not die of starvation, people do not become Maobadi and farmers do not commit suicides, as they do in your CONGLOMERATE country called India. I request you to be careful next time. And do not derail the thread, ok?
Hello, if 'Your Indian brain' is a comment acceptable to you, then why isn't 'Your bangladeshi brain?' I'm reeady to be completely respectful if the same is offered in return first.

India said many times about 1 billion $ loan. God knows how Indians will act towards Bangladeshis after giving us this so called job opportunity! And that is my concern.
Guys get off this conspiracy theory nonsense. The world economy is highly integrated. If Indians started wondering 'the US will behave' because of the all the 'employment opportunities' that companies like IBM & Microsoft have brought in, we wouldn't have had the IT revolution.

India said many times about 1 billion $ loan.

India has announced it one time only........

God knows how Indians will act towards Bangladeshis after giving us this so called job opportunity! And that is my concern.

Benevolent and friendly,as always .......

Benevolent and friendly,as always .......

It definitely sounds good for both India and BD.Mutual opening of market ,transfere of technology and cross border trade increase.

I will welcome TATA's investment but 500 cr from TATA and 500 cr from Nitol makes me suspicious about the whole deal as it probably too less of an investment to build a complete Truck manufacturing plant. May it be another Tax evading scam by Nitol and TATA, who knows by importing disassmebled parts then reassemble it here and then export it to Europe to get the tariff free market access. We have to wait and see.

:coffee::coffee:

I can also smell a conspiracy to destroy the World 12 times in a row in the deal....Why???Because it is a partnership between 2 companies with 50% economic stake taken by each party......wow!!!!!!I made a lot of sense....I should be awarded the next Nobel prize for Economics...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Guys get off this conspiracy theory nonsense. The world economy is highly integrated. If Indians started wondering 'the US will behave' because of the all the 'employment opportunities' that companies like IBM & Microsoft have brought in, we wouldn't have had the IT revolution.

Understand first!

I did not question about your ability to give job opportunity. It's common sense that building industry will create job opportunity.

I told about typical Indian DaDaGiRi and mean attitudes to BD by Indians.

I can also smell a conspiracy to destroy the World 12 times in a row in the deal....Why???Because it is a partnership between 2 companies with 50% economic stake taken by each party......wow!!!!!!I made a lot of sense....I should be awarded the next Nobel prize for Economics...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

You did not make any sense there..

This kind of tax evading deals are all over and very common. I am still not convinced that 1000 cr. could make a truck manufacturing plant. How much did TATA cost for Nano project????

nForce

And the indians in this forum have harped on about it continously, this is a commercial loan not a gift as some indians make it out to be. Considering the conditions and rates even this india friendly government is having second throughts about it.

Benevolent and friendly,as always

Yea right, why don't you come to BD and tell us in person how benevolent and friendly you are and see the reception you get.

Last edited:
Understand first!

I did not question about your ability to give job opportunity. It's common sense that building industry will create job opportunity.

I told about typical Indian DaDaGiRi and mean attitudes to BD by Indians.
Ya well I could talk about the typical AMERICAN DADAGIRI over ALL of the world. You've gotta look beyond these things.

Back
Top Bottom