What's new

TAI chose it's partner on TF-X Project

What Ive read even Koreans where thinking of taking help from Saab in designing so Saab is a good decision. But its not official and others are still one the table we will probable know in a few months.

Canards in stealth design? Is it possible?

Depends on the angle in ratio to the fuselage.
Diamond shaped is the most common(for stealth) and there is the question of materials(maybe a strong non metal) used for the canards.
Best shape would be like a diamond,so both sides of the canard have to be equal.
Its like a triangle with 1 side fixed to the fuselage,cant provide any link.

Say what you say about Canards, but I'm damn sure J20 will pop up on the radar much sooner than F35.

Stealth is mostly about simplifying the design and it's the most important defense of the 5th generation fighter. Anything violates that should be thrown out of the design.

It's just not worth it, even though 5th generation planes can obsolete all dogfight tactics, if the designers want maneuverability so badly they should go for thrust vectoring systems :)

Well, what can i say? Skunk Works wrote the book, this is the coolest thing ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTCGJAoAz_8

According to the latest report of SSM the conceptual designs of the TX and FX are ready, we can add those to the IDEF2013 to be expected introductions.

Also the conceptual pre-design of the turbo jet engine seems to be ready.

an old schedule

42sp0.jpg

Say what you say about Canards, but I'm damn sure J20 will pop up on the radar much sooner than F35.

Your assessment is flawed, you have not kept J-20 radar in perspective you might know the radar range and detection of F-35 but information on J-20 radar would remain unknown. You may question J-20 [PROTOTYPE] Avionics, EW suite etc but the design is well with-in defined stealth parameters.

Is this still going on?

Last i heard Saab will develop the new Gripen model with the Swiss, although they have not yet signed the contract just selected it in a tender.

Your assessment is flawed, you have not kept J-20 radar in perspective you might know the radar range and detection of F-35 but information on J-20 radar would remain unknown. You may question J-20 [PROTOTYPE] Avionics, EW suite etc but the design is well with-in defined stealth parameters.
I just assumed the radar signature should be relatively bigger, it makes sense to me. First of all the J20 is about twice the size of F35 and the design is more complicated. It's radar signature would be near B2 spirit i think. It isn't bad at all...

Whatever, I'm looking forward to see TF-X' concept design in IDEF-'13.

According to the latest report of SSM the conceptual designs of the TX and FX are ready, we can add those to the IDEF2013 to be expected introductions.

Also the conceptual pre-design of the turbo jet engine seems to be ready.

an old schedule

42sp0.jpg
The question is what does conceptual design mean, what will they show? A mockup or maybe requirements?

The question is what does conceptual design mean, what will they show? A mockup or maybe requirements?
Probably just a CAD image until the first prototype is built. The only important thing is the engine(s) I'm betting on a twin-engine concept, maybe a twin GE-F110 engined air superiority aircraft.

Rest of the design isn't very important. Canards or no canards, TVS, no TVS doesn't really matter. If they come up with a non-stealth delta-wing design than it matters :D

is it just me or the photoshop of the aircraft in first post resembles to gripen ....if you add one more engine to gripen it will end up with quite a bit resemblance

Back
Top Bottom