What's new

Turkey’s $50-billion jet program in question

What exactly was I "wrong" about? I never said the $50 billion is for 1, 5 or 10 years - I just used the figure that was presented in this thread above, and which is from the media reports.

And no, Turkey can't "find" such funds for a project like this - do you know Turkey's GDP and its massive multi-billion dollar debt? If Turkey could have found such money, it would have done it alone, or with preferred partners, and if done it in partnership, would have gotten a higher share. Turkey is not printing dollars, so it can't just "find" $50 billion, even if it's "just" $5 billion per year for 10 years, or $2.5 billion per year for 20 years.

Turkey's entire military budget is just over $14 billion for 2013 (see: ECONOMICS - Turkey )

SIPRI says it's $18 billion. Fine, let's go with $18 billion then, as the higher of the two, so that everyone here feels more proud and happy (however artificial and inflated that feeling is in this context). At least 50% of that defense budget would go to pay for soldiers and officers, and various non-combat costs. So for arms acquisitions, maintenance and R&D there is only the other 50% - and that's at best, an optimistic scenario. So we have just $9 billion per year, at most, in Turkey, for R&D and arms acquisitions. In reality, historically, at least since 1990, Turkey spends only about 25% of its defense budget on arms acquisition and R&D - that's $4.5 billion.

But anyways, this simple "putting things in context" should explain to everyone that $50 billion dollars - whether over 10 or even 20 years - is a lot of money for Turkish defense budget, and considering how expensive it is to maintain the oversized Navy that Turkey has, as well as all those old tanks and jets, there is even less left for F-35, or any indigenous production and development of own fighter jet, especially 5th generation.

Just as a reminder - even the Altay tank (which is not even combat-proven yet) is in reality a borrowed tank design from South Korea, i.e., not a true indigenous production. Even its boron composite materials passive defense is from S.Korea and/or Pakistan. Same with virtually all Turkish weapons systems, which are mostly old German and other variants. This is not criticism, it's normal - same is true for most countries, such as China, North Korea, Iran, etc. But let's remain more cold-headed in our analysis and not jump on each other just because one thinks that his "patriotism" is at stake.

Mate whether it's technically feasible, İ don't know. İ didn't comment on that either. There are much more capable people here that can answer that.

But on terms of economically feasibilty, yes it is.
Even before/without the TFX project Turkey had projects running worth 27 billion dollars made in the last 5 year.
The funding of these projects doesn't even come from the defence budget but rather from the SSDF.

İ don't even know what İ'm discussing with you here.

Were talking about a country with a government budget of well over 200 billion $ and discussing whether he can spend 1 billion dollar annually .

Anyways if you were Turkish İ had a really nice report about government approach of defence.

Are you implying that I'm a good kid :yay:
Heavy water was reference to it. Btw, *better education* is very much relative. Discipline in life with sheer willpower will get you places, you, yourself, couldn't have thought possible.

Isn't the A-bomb a reference to the atomic bomb, and heavy water was for the H-bomb :/?

Canim, I'm one of the first few people who set up your R&D at Tubitak in the 90's. I was working to "set it up", through a project, working on behalf of ODTU. That was your first beginning of *real* research backbone, I was just a kid then........ Later I got bored with R&D and education. It doesn't pay at all. :blink:

Uncle, i want to kiss your hand..... I'm looking forward to your posts. :D

Back
Top Bottom