What's new

Smriti Irani Stops 70,000 Students of KV From Learning German, Makes them Switch to Sanskrit

The other language students learn is mostly useless. My friends learn French and German in school, unlike English they knew broken French or German totally useless for any kind of job purpose.
may be am a bit biased.. but I love learning new languages. Its one of my great regret that I can barely make any headway in spanish.
Its not just jobs.. music or dance or craft classes are not for jobs too.. I tend to believe a person who can master more language spurs more activity in his/her brain.. is more worldly aware.. and can compete with others in jobs which requires a more rounded personality.
I cant prove it though.. its just a belief.

I am worried that we are too inward looking, compared to kids of other countries.
Actually Indians today know a lot more about other countries than their own. There are probably far more people who have read shakesphere and other western works compared to Indian ones. Asking people about Indias contribution to the world, you wont get much more than "zero" while they will a lot more about the west/China

may be am a bit biased.. but I love learning new languages. Its one of my great regret that I can barely make any headway in spanish.
Its not just jobs.. music or dance or craft classes are not for jobs too.. I tend to believe a person who can master more language spurs more activity in his/her brain.. is more worldly aware.. and can compete with others in jobs which requires a more rounded personality.
I cant prove it though.. its just a belief.

When Indians studies English, they buy a thick Oxford dictionary enriching the vocabulary and perfect grammar was a passion, all because you need to learn English for jobs. But people don't study French, German or Spanish with same passion, you think kids can master these language in just three years with basic sentences taught to them.

Isnt it better for students to select which language they want to study as third option than government asking them to learn a particular language?

You are right but kids need guidance, learning two foreign languages dumping your own is not a good thing. Moreover, schools and boards decide what subjects kids going to study, not the kids themselves, only small level flexibility is allowed.

Err...Proto kannada means an very ancient version of kannada No point comparing Malayalam to Kannada, the split there is fairly recent and is part of recorded history. Reconstruction of language origins gets difficult as we move back longer periods.
Have you heard about 'Badaga language'(Nilgiri dialect of Kannada,now its regarded as an independent language)??..Its supposed to be originated from older version of Kannada and retains many old Kannada features,words that are gone out of usage in modern standard Karnataka Kannada....Badaga version is much more closer to Tamil than standard Kannada to Tamil.. Thats why i think there was a very strong relationship /similarities between Old Kannada and Tamil...

Actually Indians today know a lot more about other countries than their own. There are probably far more people who have read shakesphere and other western works compared to Indian ones. Asking people about Indias contribution to the world, you wont get much more than "zero" while they will a lot more about the west/China

The reality is that today they are more Indians who have read Shakespeare than those who have read Kalidas.

Then one sits and wonders why Indians have a massive inferiority complex.

When Indians studies English, they buy a thick Oxford dictionary enriching the vocabulary and perfect grammar was a passion, all because you need to learn English for jobs. But people don't study French, German or Spanish with same passion, you think kids can master these language in just three years with basic sentences taught to them.
thats not the point.. I understand the importance of mother language.. and English..
but I think we can introduce a basic level 3rd language for secondary education. you dont need to be expert or be able to speak properly..
It should be optional and mostly for fun. For a >12 year old ... you give picture books (that you give to 6 year old when you learn english) and they should be able to speak a few broken sentences by std 10.
They will also get to know the region laguage originated from.. their food.. dance. festivals...
Internet can enable you to pair up with another school/educationist of that country...

stupid Irani

I have no problems with "Sanskrit" being taught

but could have been better handled eg

Switching over to sanskrit in phased manner from NEXT ACADEMIC YEAR from ^th Standard onwards and not immideately

logic

You learn a third language from 6-9th standard in 3 years
now if you switch over immideately for all the students in std 9 will have learnt german for almost 3 years

how much sanskrit they can learn in next 4 months of acemdemic cycle ?

for students of 7&8 standard it will get more awkward

as they have learned german for 2-3 years and will learn sanskrit for 1-2 year, so they will neither learn german nor sanskrit in any meaningful manner

so the logical move would have been to switchover to sanskrit from next acedemic year beginning with 6th standard and in 2016 with 7th standard and so on

BTW to all the people advocating SANSKRIT to be made cumpolsoy

DO YOU GUYS KNOW that SANSKRIT is the wrong word ?

THE CORRECT WORD AND NAME IS

SAMSKRUTAM

and NOT Sanskrit

so next time pl use the correct Name & word - SAMSKRUTAM
:p:

I have talked to numerous Portuguese/Brazilian guys who frequently grumbles that Portuguese is not taught in former Portuguese colonies in India as if Indians have done a great injustice to them, I blatantly told them you guys don't study a second language in school and want Indian kids to learn a fourth language to the sake of their colonial fantasies and further told them we kept English for our own need, not for colonial fantasies of British.

thats not the point.. I understand the importance of mother language.. and English..
but I think we can introduce a basic level 3rd language for secondary education. you dont need to be expert or be able to speak properly..
It should be optional and mostly for fun. For a >12 year old ... you give picture books (that you give to 6 year old when you learn english) and they should be able to speak a few broken sentences by std 10.
They will also get to know the region laguage originated from.. their food.. dance. festivals...
Internet can enable you to pair up with another school/educationist of that country...

Which other country teach two foreign languages to their kids so that they can learn about foreign culture :lol::lol: As for Germans obsession with Sanskrit, we all know why they have such obsession with it. :lol::lol:

Best way is to impose Urdu on everyone for getting being Mughalia feeling and dump all other Pakistani languages. Isn't it Mr. Think Tank. :lol::lol:
Student can still learn german in hobby classes,though i never came across german as any 2nd or 3rd language in my high school untill 2010 not even in CBSE,sound like it was implemented right after 2010?

Best way is to impose Urdu on everyone for getting being Mughalia feeling and dump all other Pakistani languages. Isn't it Mr. Think Tank. :lol::lol:

Urdu is the national language. However, other languages are allowed as well to be taught. Some schools do teach Sindhi, Pashto, Punjabi etc.

Why are you so worried? They were teaching German....it's not like they don't teach English? Why not stop teaching English as well? Oh well, you are only relevant in the 21st century because large swathe of your working populace was taught English.......if they knew only sanskrit, you really think India had or has a chance?

Urdu is the national language. However, other languages are allowed as well to be taught. Some schools do teach Sindhi, Pashto, Punjabi etc.

Why are you so worried? They were teaching German....it's not like they don't teach English? Why not stop teaching English as well? Oh well, you are only relevant in the 21st century because large swathe of your working populace was taught English.......if they knew only sanskrit, you really think India had or has a chance?

Good, only some schools teaching the languages of 92% Pakistanis and here you came to lecture Indians about languages. ::girl_wacko:

Back
Top Bottom