What's new

Separatist Insurgencies in India - News and Discussions.

You gotta treat the poor folks right. They are your partners in building India.

Yeah we r going to treat the poor widows,mothers,fathers,sisters who have lost their loved ones due to this mad SOB Maoists and we ll make them pay with their life.:angry:

I was responding to another ''query''

incidentally, arent many of those naxals also doing caste-based violence?

it happened a few times in bihar; though it may also be tribal dispute. You can provide the elaboration.

The term Naxal comes from Naxalbari, a village in north bengal where tribal revolt against feudal lords agitated in 70's, succeeded by a bloody rebel movement in Calcutta led by brightest lot of that generation mainly from Presidency College and JU. The present day maoists more-or-less believe in same ideology. The war still is ideological in which tribal got involved, tribal rebellion actually predates india's independence. The only connection of maoist to caste based violences I can think of is the skirmishes between Ranvir Sena, a private militant group of landlords and left extremist in 90s. Ranvir Sena got banned and founding members got death sentence recently.

stick to topic ... !

agreed... lets not indulge into measuring contest.

its not like the people of India would not have listened to the maoists,as the problems they have faced are genuine to some extent...But the path they have chosen is wrong,and the crimes they have committed far outweigh the issues faced by them.The maoists have already proved their organizing capabilities.It would have been of some real good if they had taken a peaceful way to protest.But i feel sorry to say,that the situation has gone out of hands,and now there is no going back...

She is not anti-national or anything, she is just delusional, sad demise of once-respected and truly gifted author.

She is just stuckon to the utopian ideas of communism,revolution of the masses, that has de-generated into her opposing anything the state does and supporting anything that opposes the state and sadly becoming totally irrelevant in the process.

Mate dont u remember her famous comment:
Im not a citizen of the Indian republic...im a mobile sovereign republic and the Indian laws dont apply to me.

We cannot just use the word delusional on her...Dangeroulsy delusional to the ppl and the state.

You gotta treat the poor folks right. They are your partners in building India.

fallstuff every country has its own social problems..every country has some one left behind when the growth is occured..as for maosits the government knows they are partially responsible for the problem at hand..that why they are only using paramilitary forces instead of army and pledging devalopment in the areas.but the maoists try to stop the development works of the government in these places,killing of regional developmental officer is one such incident to stop the devalopment in that areas..because once devalopment reach there there will be no cadets for the naxals..there are some mining companies who are willing to invest in that place but government need to devalop awareness among the people about the benefits about these projects to them..till then people only try to oppose these kind of projects...

TechLahore, this is an interesting perspective on why Indian forces in Naxal areas have suffered setbacks.

More food for thought.

India’s topmost counter-Naxalite instructor, Brig. Basant Ponwar, has slammed the government and security heads...

Thanks for the article. I agree that better training always helps, but I guess I was talking about the larger issue here. What is the overall strategy? Engage with them? Bomb them? Escalate the offensive? Bring in regulars? Take action against people in mainstream society who support Maoists? What will the backlash be? Can someone like Arundhati Roy be thrown behind bars for supporting the Naxalites?

What is the official strategy to deal with the entire issue... it's not just about sending better trained recruits into Naxalite areas.

Let me throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks for the article. I agree that better training always helps, but I guess I was talking about the larger issue here. What is the overall strategy? Engage with them? Bomb them? Escalate the offensive? Bring in regulars? Take action against people in mainstream society who support Maoists? What will the backlash be?

The root cause of this mess is the due neglection the tribals in the mineral-rich yet poor central India have been facing for the lasst 63 years.
the Maoists have sucessfully hijacked the movement with their idealogy and wagin a war to overthrow the democratically elected govt and establish a North Korea style communist dictatorship.
The overall strategy ideally should be developmeny of those areas,providing basic infrastructure,hospitals,school etc in those areas and simultaneously using force to eliminate the violence prone Maoists.
There is no single solution..neither fully development nor fully military solution.
IA and IAF should not be called in as they are trained to deal with enemies like shooting watever moves or carpet bombing.
Ideally trained paras in tandem with armed helis,drones for surveillance should be used and it is the head of the snake(Maoist leadership) that shuld be targeted.
But the most difficult part lies in dealing with the mainstream intellectuals,Humanrights activists,NGO s that are legal by the constitution but which are misusing the liberty given to them.
One solution to deal with them is to bring in the AFSPA (armed forces special powers act) like in Kashmir,NE that will give these CRPF jawans immunity to their actions.

Can someone like Arundhati Roy be thrown behind bars for supporting the Naxalites?

ideally she should be stripped of her Indian citizenship.Yes she can be thrown by booking her under terrorist laws but for that Maoists shuld be classified terrorists by the GOI.
There will be some protests by some liberals,NGO for some days but that will be forgotten soon as she doesnt have the common mans support.

What is the official strategy to deal with the entire issue... it's not just about sending better trained recruits into Naxalite areas.

The bloody official strategy is to wait for these poor martyrs to be slaughtered,officially condemning those,calling the Maoists for talks and then forgetting it the next day inlieu of vote banks and elections.:angry::angry:

ideally she should be stripped of her Indian citizenship.Yes she can be thrown by booking her under terrorist laws but for that Maoists shuld be classified terrorists by the GOI.

Actually CPI(Maoist) is a banned organization and there is law by which Roy can be booked. But I don't think GOI should do that, neither it's the right thing to do. Politically, it'll send a wrong message as Roy enjoys, rightfully, an international niche audience. Morally, there also should be some voice representing the Naxal. But the problem with roy is, her voice day by day becoming fundamentalist. Fundamentalist as in, blindly supporting naxal even when they committing atrocities, and having an authoritarian approach to anyone who is against her way of portraying things.

Actually CPI(Maoist) is a banned organization and there is law by which Roy can be booked. But I don't think GOI should do that, neither it's the right thing to do. Politically, it'll send a wrong message as Roy enjoys, rightfully, an international niche audience. Morally, there also should be some voice representing the Naxal. But the problem with roy is, her voice day by day becoming fundamentalist. Fundamentalist as in, blindly supporting naxal even when they committing atrocities, and having an authoritarian approach to anyone who is against her way of portraying things.

I care my foot if she gets an international audience.
Let she live with them and entertain her audience as after her citizenship is stripped she cannot remain India and who cares where she goes..?
It will also send a strong message and set a strong example to those lime-light seeking Human rights activists.
This is a war where propaganda plays a very important part and we cannot afford negative publicity from these scoundrels.

Thanks for the article. I agree that better training always helps, but I guess I was talking about the larger issue here. What is the overall strategy? Engage with them? Bomb them? Escalate the offensive? Bring in regulars? Take action against people in mainstream society who support Maoists? What will the backlash be? Can someone like Arundhati Roy be thrown behind bars for supporting the Naxalites?

The overall strategy, AFAIK, is even now being debated, so can't answer that.

I do believe that it will go hard with everyone if they bring in regulars. We'll just have to wait and see as a strategy emreges, if it does emerge.

As for taking action against mainstreamers who are Maoists, can't be done unless they actively (i.e. money, guns, participation, direct leadership) support this movement.

Arundhati Roy - no way will she go to jail even if she screams from the rooftops. She might get 1 or 2 days if she makes a public nuisance of herself (say disrupting,

But serious jail time is out of the question

For one, she's speaking for the rights of the oppressed, which is not a punishable offence. For another, I doubt she'll ever compromise herself by actively participating in the movement.

BTW guys the Indian constitution specifically disallows GOI from stripping citizenship from any Indian, regardless of what that individual has done or is accused of doing.

It's part of our fundamental rights, IIRC.

However, if that person takes up citizenship of another country, Indian citizenship terminates.

So, good luck with that.

BTW guys the Indian constitution specifically disallows GOI from stripping citizenship from any Indian, regardless of what that individual has done or is accused of doing.

It's part of our fundamental rights, IIRC.

However, if that person takes up citizenship of another country, Indian citizenship terminates.

So, good luck with that.

but she soent deserve it..except being born in Mother India..

also i ve seen many ppl using IIRC.....its an abbreviation for.?

I have come to a place very near to Dantewala in Chattisgarh. Out of curiosity, I asked people, what they think of Naxals and the killings etc... Two comments have strucked me :-

1) People say that the tribals don't want any development. They don;t want any thing good or bad from us. They want to be left alone. Actual tribal are becoming naxals not for any big obejective, they just want all the mining activities / all the developemnt work etc stops.

2) People say, Central Govt budgetary supports increases many fold for Naxal Areas....there are vested interest who jsy want moer and more budgetary support.

funny recations from Ground Zero.

Security bosses’ disregard sending boys to bloody murder: Instructor
SANKARSHAN THAKUR

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Frontpage | Security bosses’ disregard sending boys to bloody murder: Instructor

New Delhi, April 10: India’s topmost counter-Naxalite instructor, Brig. Basant Ponwar, has slammed the government and security heads for ignoring the rudiment of training and said their “callous disregard” is responsible for “sending our boys straight to bloody murder”.

Speaking to The Telegraph in the aftermath of Tuesday’s massacre of 75 CRPF personnel near Sukma in south Bastar, Ponwar said: “The callous disregard of security bosses for proper training is sending the boys straight to bloody murder.

“This is the outcome of the arrogance of our security bosses, pure and simple, if these fellows had had the basic training they wouldn’t have suffered such loss. People need to know whose grave error this is, why such outrage is happening.”

Ponwar warned that the Sukma slaughter was a sign that the battle against Maoists was about to get uglier. “The terrible sacrifice of lives aside, I know the kind of weapons the Maoists have taken away, you can start a whole new insurgency with that kind of cache, I have been a soldier in the Northeast, I know what such a weapons grab can do for insurgent units, it is really alarming, somebody should wake up.”

In his analysis of the carnage, the troopers were “totally under-prepared” to be sent into conflict zones. “It is evident they cannot site, much less recognise, an enemy harbour, they have no notion of who can take positions where, they were sleeping in a trap, that is what it was. But then, they have not been imparted such knowledge, not their fault.”

Ponwar, who refuses to label himself retired — “I took this job the day I left the army” — heads the Counter Terrorism and Jungle Warfare College (CTJWC) in Kanker in central Chhattisgarh, but is irate that few use the facility he has created.

Spread across 300 acres of hilly jungle terrain, the CTJWC is India’s only institution that runs courses on counter-Naxalite operations for police forces with support from the army which deputes instructors. Ponwar was invited to set up the college after retiring as the commandant of the army’s Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Vairangte, Mizoram.

None of the Chhattisgarh police units he has trained, Powar claims, has suffered casualties in combat, and five IPS officers who have been through his hands won the President’s bravery medal.

“But the problem is the senior people. The men who must actually lead these boys in operations do not want to train. Some senior officers who came last year left because they were meant to stay their tenure in tents. Ridiculous! You cannot train for jungle guerrilla warfare if you want to stay in air-conditioning, my institution is about real terrain training, for jungle war you better get used to living in the jungle,” he said.

“I have been pleading with anyone who listens, please come here and get trained before you confront the enemy, fighting Maoists in the jungles requires unique mental and physical qualities. But nobody listens, they are just happy to have our boys killed without giving them the skills to fight the battles they are sent into. I have long said that half-trained men fight half battles, and our boys are not even half trained, many more disasters are in the works.”

Following the Lalgarh Maoist upsurge last year, Bengal sought help from Brig. Ponwar’s school and was immediately offered it. “After a long delay, 30 fellows finally came, but all of them were sub-inspector and assistant sub-inspector-level, no officers. If the officers do not learn the ropes, who is to lead these boys?”

In the context of the revived debate over training of CRPF personnel, Brig. Ponwar said: “The CRPF do not train with me, although I will be happy to. They do not know how this battle needs to be fought, we at the warfare school do.”

Asked why the CRPF had spurned his offers, Ponwar bluntly said: “Because they think they know everything. Pressure should come on them to learn. If we want our soldiers to go into battle, give them a fighting chance, don’t feed them as fodder to the enemy.”

Ponwar has issues with the mass-contact aspect of forces deployed in Chhattisgarh, too. “You cannot win a campaign if you don’t have civilian support,” he said. “And little is done to win people over. The forces behave like a feudal army, not a force that has come to the aid of people. That is the main reason why there is such poor intelligence and information available with the forces, they don’t have a relationship with the people.”

To him, winning public confidence must be the starting point. “Ask the widows if their pensions are coming, ask if water is available, ask if they need medicine, make friends and then you will get support in return. If you have lost the people, you have lost the battle to begin with.”

Back
Top Bottom