What's new

Russia Claims to Build an Aircraft Carrier for Indian Navy

The needs of aircrafts carriers can be of course questionned. What would be the use for an aircraft carrier ? Does India need to project its power overseas ? Will India participate in a major conflict or operation far from its borders that will necessite such power ? Or is it just for show ? @mike2000 is back @Blue Marlin
The needs of such ships can be justified for countries like UK,France,USA and probably China in the future,but India,i don't see.

For developing countries,the needs to such machines should be one of the last priorities as I'd see the firsts as fighting extreme poverty and improving decaying infrastructures,improving health services etc. I agree that I would be upset to see my money spent on carriers and non top priorities if I'm hungry,living in poor conditions,but yet again,they do whatever they want,that's their money,I'm nobody to tell them what should they do or don't.. :P

I agree but for us europeans critical discussion is normal. For them its always an attack. In the end they decide what they do.

The needs of aircrafts carriers can be of course questionned. What would be the use for an aircraft carrier ? Does India need to project its power overseas ? Will India participate in a major conflict or operation far from its borders that will necessite such power ? Or is it just for show ? @mike2000 is back @Blue Marlin
The needs of such ships can be justified for countries like UK,France,USA and probably China in the future,but India,i don't see.

For developing countries,the needs to such machines should be one of the last priorities as I'd see the firsts as fighting extreme poverty and improving decaying infrastructures,improving health services etc. I agree that I would be upset to see my money spent on carriers and non top priorities if I'm hungry,living in poor conditions,but yet again,they do whatever they want,that's their money,I'm nobody to tell them what should they do or don't.. :P
it depends on what opinion you want from me. my honest opinion or the opinion that will make me seem to be a diplomat

Well, Its up to Indians to decide what they want, in this regard, @Abingdonboy is right to voice his hopes/opinion about what India needs to project power outside its neighbourhood. If Indians think they need 4 or 5CBGs then its up to them.
However, as for me, im of the opinion that you are right to some extent, India should follow the Chinese example by putting its economy/living standards first. The rest will naturally follow. I fail to see what India needs 3 or 4 CBGs for. I dont see them fighting wars far away from their neighbourhoods like U.S,U.K,RUSSIA and France, for which you need not only the capabilities/experience/allies and skills but also large overseas military bases. So India should take it one at a time IMO

Last edited:
SH!TE hole called India than Pakistan

Have a carrier, don't have a carrier is your business but don't use Pakistan as excuse. India is nearly 1,300 million toward 195 million Pakistan. That make's Pakistan a tiny country up against giant India. To suggest Pak flags over India is like saying wolf will swallow elephant. Is that the confidence you have in 1,300 million of your people. Are they insects?

The exact comparison is saying tiny Tunisia will overrun Italy. Both have about 6.5 times differntial. Pak Navy is tiny and even then mostly composed of submarines as defence against the huge Indian Navy. So stop using Pak as excuse.

Well,your honest opinion,but if too harsh the other.. :enjoy:
i think india deserves the right for an aircraft carrier, however india must also recognise that such funds for such a carrier can be used for othes purposes

@Vauban @mike2000 is back @Blue Marlin

India wants to be a global power, its interests today do not reflect the interests it will have a decade or more from now. By 2050, India is predicted to have the second largest economy in the world:

tumblr_o2sp5grms21tjfjuco1_1280.png

No nation in histroy has risen to be a global super power without a powerful navy, the most glaring example is the British Empire where the British taxpayers actually paid a tax that went specifically to the navy as it was understood this was how empires are made. The French, Spanish, Portugese and recently USA are all further examples of this.

As such, in order to become one of the world's most powerful nations it is clear that India will have to grow its capabilties in order to match its outlook and as it grows so will its areas of interest. I can understand that today the notion that India is a global power or one that needs to have independant power projection capabilties seems rather flawed but the world of tommrow will be very different. A few decades ago China was in a similar situation but now the world recognises its right to protect her interests and that it will build up its military, in the future this will be said of India also.

I am not saying the IN will have 5+ CBGs anytime soon, by the IN's plans this will not happen before 2035, when India is the third largest economy in the world (with an economy 3 times the size of the nation in 4th place) and will very much have an expanded reach and area of responsibility.

Simiarly, as a global power, it is only right that India build up its capabilties to protect the global commons- the high seas. Why should India sit back and expect Western nations that are in decline to be willing to protect India's interests or the IOR?

Again, I would point to the sheer amout of volume that currently flows through India's area of interest:

satellite_ais_data.jpg

This is only going to increase as the world grows (we will have 10 billion people to share the planet with come 2050) and as India's (and all of Asia's) economy grows the amount of traffic occuring in India's area of interest will only increase. It is only right that India grows its military to secure these interests. If India outsources this to someone else it is placing its economic security at risk.

Again, I understand the compulsion to belittle India's intentions but I would like to make it clear that these plans are being laid out with the future in mind and that the world of tommorow will be very different to the world we have come to know (ie a few Western nations requiring these capabilties only).

@PARIKRAMA @Levina @anant_s @Skull and Bones @AUSTERLITZ @MilSpec @kbd-raaf @Roybot @nair @SpArK @Taygibay @ayesha.a @ni8mare @Ankit Kumar @knight11 @scorpionx @Capt.Popeye @danish_vij @mkb95

Last edited:
Mostly the "fish" comes before the "chips" :p:

Hahaha, so it does... !! :ashamed::tongue:

lets just say their excuse for a carrier is quiet pathetic. who are they going to use it against?

I suppose a host of reasons. Plus, India places emphasis on its Navy as Legacy. Perchance --- a testimony to the Royal Navy's own....

Pakistan.:p::toast_sign:
ohh yeah i forgot you need a 50000 tonne aircraft carriet to sink a 3000 tonne warship which was made in the 60's:p:

Hahaha, so it does... !! :ashamed::tongue:

I suppose a host of reasons. Plus, India places emphasis on its Navy as Legacy. Perchance --- a testimony to the Royal Navy's own....
back then was differant were countries invaded one another it had to be done and it the same ti other counties back then too france , spain, portugal and heck even japan. times have changed.

@Abingdonboy That is well presented case for the carrier. Ultimately India is soveriegn state and I suppose she will do what she thinks is best for her. Looking at the figures you posted for 2050 what is readily apparent is the shift of economic power to the east. If those figures are to be believed even Indonesia will be force to be reckoned with.

@Nihonjin1051 Mate you will be sat bang next to the centre of the worlds power by 2050. God help yeh ...

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom