What's new

Retracing my Indian ancestral roots

Status
Not open for further replies.

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
I have a deep love for Kujhwa, Siwan District, Bihar, my ancestral home; & I've always wanted to know more about it. I found some interesting pieces on Kujhwa on the internet. Maybe some of you (probably Biharis, or people interested in history) might have some interest here (or maybe not):

Untitled3-2.jpg

Kujhwa is a village situated 25 K.M away on the southern side of Siwan Railway station which falls under North Eastern Railway. At present this village is under Raghunathpur block and Raghunathpur Police Station of Government of Bihar.

As per Historical records of Bihar State Archives department, Government of Bihar, a FARMAN is available in Persian language (which my mother's first cousin in Patna has). According to this Farman Shah Alamgir had given 200 bighas of land to Bibi Baree (I am her direct descendant, as indicated by my 'Shajrah') for cultivation in Pargana Ander, Government of Saran during the period 1095 Hijree. It was free from any type of Taxes.

After a lot of researches it has been established that village Kujhwa was established by Syed Ghulam Mohammad prior to 1730 on the same land which was given by Shah Alamgir to Bibi Baree.

Kujhwa is a village of notable thinkers, Scholars, Doctors, Engineers and Eminent Ulemas belonging to Shia community. It had a great medieval Historian of his time called Padamshree Prof. Syed Hasan Askari (my mom's "taya", her dad's elder brother). Prof. Askari was also awarded by the Britishers with the title of "Khan Saheb". He is probably only one personality of Siwan District who has received awards from 3 consecutive presidents of India.

First Award was given to him by President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, the second award came from President Neelaam Sanjeeva Reddy and the third award was presented to him by The President Giani Zail Singh.

He was offered by the King of Iran to go to Iran and take the Citizenship there and settle, but he chose to be in India.

The Urdu Magazine published from Kujhwa were AL-SHAMS, AL-KALAM,AL-TAJ. One of the famous Magazine of Shia community named “SHIA” started its publication under the editorship of Syed Haider Hussain sahib of Kujhwa. After his death Janab Askari continued its publication till 1934. From Kujhwa in 1909-1910 a monthly English Paper named “ MUSLIM HERALD” started its publication under the editorship of Janab Syed Haider Hussain sahib. Through this paper he tried to spread the message of brotherhood among the Hindu and Muslim community.

Madrasa Islamia Kujhwa, a purely religious institution was established in 1921 in village Kujhwa by Late Syed Wazir Hasan sahib an Advocate. Major revolutionary changes came into effect in 1984 when Prof Sami Askari (my mom's first cousin) was elected as its Secretary. Inspite of best opposition, Prof Sami Askari changed this purely religious institution into a secular institution.

For the first time on the invitation of Prof Sami Askari, His Excellency Janab Ali Raza Sheikh Attar the Ambassador of Islamic Republic of Iran and the Chief Minister of Bihar Shree Laloo Prasad visited the Madrasa on 4th May 1994.

I would love others to share their historical roots as well, if they've managed to 'record' them.

I expect some Muhajirs to tell theirs.

Unfortunately, I am probably one of those very few Mohajirs that has family left in India, because my mom's family did not migrate to Pakistan in 1947 (but my dad's did), & my mom was born & raised in India (but later moved to Pakistan to marry my Dad, & surrendered her Indian citizenship). Most Mohajirs that migrated to Pakistan had their entire families migrate to Pakistan.

I'm sure we'll have some interesting links here. Perhaps you should've kept it open for both sides.
I know Musharraf was from India while MMS was born in Pakistan.

I'm sure we'll have some interesting links here. Perhaps you should've kept it open for both sides.
I know Musharraf was from India while MMS was born in Pakistan.

Absolutely, it is open to everyone! I just named this thread like this because I was sharing my own personal experience. People who migrated from India to Pakistan, & people who migrated from Pakistan to India. This thread is open to all! Please share your stories of your ancestral roots.

my dearest friend you have started the wrong thread in a wrong time

im an urdu speaker too, but i have no fascination to strange place where my ancestors belonged, not even one thought :lol:, my parents were born in sweet pakistan, they breathed pakistan, and thats all i care, i love entire pakistan, first and last, i will die for pakistani soil first and last, i will not like to be buried anywhere else other than pakistan.

BH, that is not where your ancestry ends. In fact this is a small portion of what you might be able to trace if you put more effort into it. If Mr. Syed Askari is an ancestor, then that makes you an Arab implanted into the land of Bihar.

im an urdu speaker too, but i have no fascination to strange place where my ancestors belonged, not even one thought :lol:, my parents were born in sweet pakistan, they breathed pakistan, and thats all i care, i love entire pakistan, first and last, i will die for pakistani soil first and last, i will not like to be buried anywhere else other than pakistan.

That is good.

Don't you think that there is more to it?

My ancestral place is not in India.

But that does not mean my family history is written off!

If one does not know his roots, it means he is afraid to face the truth!

I believe a gopher is afraid of its shadow and when he comes out and sees his shadow on the snow, he scurries back into his hole!

Nothing wrong with tracing one's past. Just because someone can trace his ancestry to India doesn't make him any less Pakistani or vice versa.

BH, that is not where your ancestry ends. In fact this is a small portion of what you might be able to trace if you put more effort into it. If Mr. Syed Askari is an ancestor, then that makes you an Arab implanted into the land of Bihar.

Yes, originally I do have my roots from Iraq, which then passed onto Iran, which then came to India, & then to Pakistan. My family was not converted from Hinduism to Islam, & we are proud (not boastful) of our Islamic history as well. I do not mean to stir any controversies here on this thread, nor am I saying my experiences are what the average Pakistanis' experiences are. These are my individual 'experiences'. There are Indians that have roots (or their place of birth) in Pakistan, such as Manmohan Singh & Shahrukh Khan, who then show a lot of love & reminiscence for Pakistan, their ancestral home, as well.

My paternal grandparents are from Rampur in UP, great, great, great grandparents were probably from Afghanistan. Mother's side is from Hyderabad Deccan and Britain. Most of my family still live in India, most have now moved to bigger cities. Interestingly this guy named Azam Khan, a politician from UP is my dad's cousin, I met him a few times in Lucknow and Rampur.

I'd like everyone, not just Pakistanis, to share information about their ancestral roots (if you want to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom