What's new

Retracing my Indian ancestral roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh the same old story! Since the thread reduces to Genealogy from roots, here's my two paises!

There is no or negligible genetic difference between different ethnicities in India (no, not Pakistan, please dont jump on me!).

Aryan is not a race or ethnicity, rather a linguistic group.

But you already knew it, didn't you!

Hi,

So basically----two of our greatest leader and thinker were of hindu origin---Jinnah----Iqbal----is that where we should look for direction and guidance:cheers:

Hi,

So basically----two of our greatest leader and thinker were of hindu origin---Jinnah----Iqbal----is that where we should look for direction and guidance:cheers:

I am sure there will be more.

But what of it?

The mind is where the brain lies.

The heart influences some too!

Hi,

only those who are the decedents of Prophet have Muslim origin. :P

I wouldn’t be so sure about that Punjabis are too ethnically and linguistically diverse to call them the same race. The Punjabi identity was given by Ranjith Singh who forcibly occupied the Multan province and united most of the Lahore, Multan region. During mughal era there was no province by the name of Punjab. Punjab consisted of Province of Lahore and province of Multan.

You have areas of Pak Punjab who see themselves as Siraikis, Potwaris, Hindkowans, or Pahari rajputs, Kashmiris and pushtuns. Jatts and rajput claim different ethnic origin and some have different customs and tradition.

Punjabi people are not like sindhis or pushtun who share the customs or tradition. They are too diverse to be given central punjabi identity. Not all share the same hindu customs

The Mughal King Jahangir mentioned the word 'Panjab' in Tuzk-i-Janhageeri.

Ain-i-Akbari (Institutes of Akbar) 16th century document written by Akbar's vizier, Abu'l-Fazl ibn Mubarak mentions that the territory of Punjab was divided into two provinces, Lahore and Multan. Similarly in the second volume of Ain-e-Akbari, the title of a chapter includes the word Panjnad (Sanskrit equivalent of 'Punjab') in it.

The first known use of the word Punjab is in the book Tarikh-e-Sher Shah Suri (1580), which mentions the construction of a fort by "Sher Khan of Punjab".

The first mentioning of the Sanskrit equivalent of 'Punjab', however, occurs in the great epic, the Mahabharata (pancha-nada 'country of five rivers').

Saying Multan was never part of Punjab before Maharaja Ranjeet Singh's Empire is not correct.

History of the Punjab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Punjabi is not a race, many people of different origins inhabit the Punjab - all it takes for someone to be Punjabi is to speak the language and have some knowledge of Punjabi culture.

Ahh the same old story! Since the thread reduces to Genealogy from roots, here's my two paises!

There is no or negligible genetic difference between different ethnicities in India (no, not Pakistan, please dont jump on me!).

Aryan is not a race or ethnicity, rather a linguistic group.

But you already knew it, didn't you!
I agree Aryan is not a race. It is a linguistic groups which specifically refers to Indo-Aryan languages which are split into Indic and Dardic languages. Their "cousin" languages are the Iranic languages like Balochi, Farsi and Pashto which are part of the greater Indo-Iranian languages.

I disagree with your views on genetic differences between the ethnicities of India being negligible. There are clear differences. Different ethnicities share different levels of admixture, physical anthropological differences (height, size, etc.) and there are even linguistic differences primarily between North and South.

There is nothing wrong with the differences but that's just how I see it.

Punjabi is not a race, many people of different origins inhabit the Punjab - all it takes for someone to be Punjabi is to speak the language and have some knowledge of Punjabi culture.

Yes, it isn't a race but an ethnic group. Many Punjabis might have different origins but are culturally, genetically and linguistically are still tied together. Also, I disagree with your statement in regards to language and culture. When you learn another language and culture through living in another country, do you suddenly become part of the ethnic group/groups of that country?

Unless you folks are interested in talking about your ancestry.. and not whose the "owner" of it..
THis thread may have outlived its usefulness.
Any post after this that does not talk about ancestry alone.. and not whether Gujrati's had were not Indian's but rather a 15th jewish tribe or whatever.
I close the thread.. and give the idiot an infraction.

VIBS those doing that are idiots imho. Proving your patriotism, does not require rubishing your ancestery.
But don't doubt the patriotism of the ones detailing their ancestary here either.
I know that after listening to my late grandparent's tales of the horrors inflicted on them by hindus and sikhs, after hearing from my late paternal grand uncle how my great grandmother hid him in the hay loft when sikhs and hindus were rampaging through their muslim majority village. How she was martyred by the bastards while reciting the Quran (he kept that blood stained Quran with him all his life) as he watched helpless.
How my ancestral land which was a muslim majority area contigous with and supposed to be a part of Pakistan was dubiously given to India.
After knowing all this I will never come to love India or hindus or sikhs ever. Neither do my family/ extended wether in Pak or abroad. And I'll make sure neither do my prospective children in the future because I've learnt all that was told to me by heart and I'll make sure that they get to know all this by heart too.
Me and people like me will come to terms with the Indian kind, live alongside them, work alongside them but will never respect them or love them. Peace yes, Bhai Bhai over our collective dead bodies.

This happened with Hindus/Sikhs also dude and this is likely to happen today also.It was a stupid move by Mountbatten to do it like this.Typical half-brained british style move where they just let the country rot and decade.The brits are experts at killing the hen that gives the golden egg and you should not claim deep hatred for someone because of a political decision.

The worst thing for a moderate hindu like me is that when you see muslims getting extreme right,i have no choice but to turn extreme right to bring a balance.

BTW I'm surprised there is no one here who can trace their ancestry to the other country post partition. I have a friend who's mother was born in Karachi but married and settled down in India. I know of couples living abroad who have married among themselves. Any one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom