What's new

Pakistani Biryani/Nihari v Indian Biryani/Nihari

Ate Indian food twice in my life. Both terrible experiences. They put god damn haldi in everything.

Never again.
What dish are you talking about in particular ?

In my village we use our own masala, never dubba.

Heavy cream for North Indian dishes.
You mean dal makhni or butter chicken ? Well those are incomplete without cream ofcourse. That's what gives it the rich thickness

What dish are you talking about in particular ?

You mean dal makhni or butter chicken ? Well those are incomplete without cream ofcourse. That's what gives it the rich thickness

I ate mutton curry which had gravy made of heavy cream. Made me feel sick afterwards. Too heavy.

And I ate a South Indian chicken dish which had coconut milk in it. I didn’t particularly like it.

Also I once tried home cooked Gujrati food/daal from work associate and I was like WTF is this shit? It was sweet.

Pakistani salan has viscosity of broth, which makes it very tasty. Indian salan is like thick gravy and very heavy.

Last edited:
I ate mutton curry which had gravy made of heavy cream. Made me feel sick afterwards. Too heavy.
And may I ask where did you eat it from ? Did you visit a bawarchi in Old delhi , hyderabad or lucknow or were you sitting in Canada visiting an indian restraunt which serves nothing indian at all !
And I ate a South Indian chicken dish which had coconut milk in it. I didn’t particularly like it.
I didn't have coconut chicken but Coconut milk dishes with fish are extremely good , south indian style fish fry with coconut oil and spices is also extremely good.
Also I once tried home cooked Gujrati food/daal from work associate and I was like WTF is this shit? It was sweet.
It again depends on where you had your food from , Gujrati food is generally mildly sweet , dhoklas , etc. There is a restraunt in ahemadabad called Govardhan thaal. Those guys serve the best gujrati food at affordable costs.

You can also try some traditional Rajasthani/Rajput Dishes like Dal Baatti Churmaa and Laal Maas ( made with mutton)
Pakistani salan has viscosity of broth, which makes it very tasty. Indian salan is like thick gravy and very heavy.
No, no , this is the biggest stereotype I've ever heard. The type of salan and preparation method in both the countries is ditto same , the difference lies in where you get it from. It varies from restraunt to restraunt. In my experience ,Some restraunts serve water thin salan while others serve thickened versions. There is no homogeneity whatsoever.

Indian and Pakistan foods are totally different. We can not use their species at our home always Shan or if not, then National.
Shan Masala was available in india a few years ago.

Last edited:
And may I ask where did you eat it from ? Did you visit a bawarchi in Old delhi , hyderabad or lucknow or were you sitting in Canada visiting an indian restraunt which serves nothing indian at all !

I didn't have coconut chicken but Coconut milk dishes with fish are extremely good , south indian style fish fry with coconut oil and spices is also extremely good.

It again depends on where you had your food from , Gujrati food is generally mildly sweet , dhoklas , etc. There is a restraunt in ahemadabad called Govardhan thaal. Those guys serve the best gujrati food at affordable costs.

You can also try some traditional Rajasthani/Rajput Dishes like Dal Baatti Churmaa and Laal Maas ( made with mutton)

No, no , this is the biggest stereotype I've ever heard. The type of salan and preparation method in both the countries is ditto same , the difference lies in where you get it from. It varies from restraunt to restraunt. In my experience ,Some restraunts serve water thin salan while others serve thickened versions. There is no homogeneity whatsoever.

Shan Masala was available in india a few years ago.

I tried these foods in a couple restaurants in the US.

Regarding the Gujrati food.. that’s a hard pass. My brain is not configured to accept sweet daal.

Ah jeez. A white guy is going to tell us which nihari is better?

I think he’s qualified to review the McDonald’s, but bandar ki jaane adhrak da sawaad...
bro, it's not like we are going to change our opinion based on what he thinks. it's important to have a 'soft image' in the West. Unfortunately, the gora, though often a dumbfvck of the same magnitude as us, wields a greater power within his vote.

just kidding. which side wins in the west decided whether the bombs getting dropped on us are plain or rainbow colored.

There is one big difference in how religion has caused different attitudes towards food in India and Pakistan
I have observed that serving only vegetarian food to guests in India is normal while the same in most households would make you seem like a cheapster and disrespectful towards guests
Rich or poor meat is always on the menu when you invite guests for dinner but I havent observed that to be the case for guests in India
What a nonsense.

India is a vast country with different food habits.
In my state the guest will be served with meat , fish, We have meat and fish stalls every corner. Hardly we eat veg. Even the dal or vegetable preparations have non veg contents in them.

When it comes to nehari, biryani, qorma or haleem, Delhi will most probably beat any city in Pakistan except for Karachi.
Karachi is the nehari and biryani capital of the sub continent, period!
Hyderabad, Lucknow or Kolkata will stand far better than the all of these dishes you mentioned above.
In Hyderabad there is an eatery which is more than 150 years old serving Nihari with bread everyday in breakfast. Things get finished before 9 AM.

Last edited:
1660325474110.png

Dum vegetables Biryani..

1660328911153.png

38 ingredients​

Gluten free
Produce
  • 2 Bay leaf
  • 1 Bell pepper, large
  • 1/4 cup Broad beans, Green
  • 2 Carrots, medium
  • 1/2 cup Coriander
  • 1 tsp Cumin-coriander, powder
  • 1 Eggplant, large
  • 1 Green chili
  • 1/2 cup Green peas
  • 3 Lemon, slices
  • 1 tsp Mango, Dried powder
  • 1 cup Nibble potatoes
  • 1 Onion, large
  • 2 Pepper corns
  • 1 cup Pigeon peas
  • 3 Plums, dried
  • 2 Tomatoes
Condiments
  • 2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
Pasta & Grains
  • 3 cups Basmati rice, aged
Baking & Spices
  • 1/4 tsp Caraway seeds
  • 1/2 Caraway seeds
  • 3 Cardamom pod
  • 2 Cinnamon stick
  • 4 Clove
  • 1 tsp Fenugreek, dried
  • 1/8 tsp Food coloring, Orange
  • 1 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
  • 1 Mace, whole
  • 3 tsp Salt
  • 8 Threads saffron
  • 1 tsp Turmeric, powder
Oils & Vinegars
  • 1/2 cup Oil

Nuts & Seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin
Dairy
  • 1/4 cup Oil or ghee
  • 1/2 cup Whole milk yogurt, plain
Frozen
  • 1 1/2 tsp Biryani masala, homemade
  • 1/2 tsp Biryani masala
Liquids
  • 8 1/4 cups Water

20210719_093303.jpg

Good old beef nihari at Muhammadi Nihari Lahore. Not the best but satisfying as anything!!!!

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom