What's new

Pakistan will launch a two-seater version of JF-17 - Induction of JF-17B in 2017

Good to hear from you as it has been a while.

Actually, our friend here stated as so I too wanted to know the thing if we missed at all. Interestingly, IMO, WS-13 and RD-93MA are coming for evaluation on the same hence, can expect tough competition and if Chinese Power Plant delivered what PAF expects and surprisingly better than Russian RD-93MA, I will be more happy to go with Chinese solution. The same will give us sense of security against sanctions, shortage or stop of after sale service but will also help a lot in-house overhauling solutions. ToT will be too early to say in this regard but by the time, things can be done that seems impossible at start. WS-13E is representing the future possible Chinese Engine for JFT. Also, reportedly, J-10 has been flying with WS-10x so we are looking at tooany development in this area and going to be interesting.

Also, expected Chinese Engine may also be termed as long time solution w.r.t. predicted NGF of PAF and such commonality is going to be not just flexible but affordable, easy maintaining and less stress of multiple types handling.

Rest about twin seat JF-17b, I am seeing the same around end of March or April most probably.
Thank you for the compliments.I have been out of the country for a while and then struggling with health and other personal issues which has meant restricted input although I have never really been away.
The WS13E claims neeeds to be validated so for the moment we wait and watch.I fully agree that the possibility of two potential engines from trusted sources open new doors for PAF. I think logically they will continue to go with RD93 ad its iteration as it is a tried and trusted engine. However a little healthy competition may yet open previously closed doors and i think PAF should very aggressively milk this cow for all it is worth. Whether the change towards WS13 comes or not remains to be seen but strategically we may have 2 engines one for export if it fits the bill and another one for local use. The former only because it will be pushed by China. However till the WS13 matures we wont know how good it actually is. One glitch and a platform loss may throw a spanner in the works.
A

Thank you for the compliments.I have been out of the country for a while and then struggling with health and other personal issues which has meant restricted input although I have never really been away.
The WS13E claims neeeds to be validated so for the moment we wait and watch.I fully agree that the possibility of two potential engines from trusted sources open new doors for PAF. I think logically they will continue to go with RD93 ad its iteration as it is a tried and trusted engine. However a little healthy competition may yet open previously closed doors and i think PAF should very aggressively milk this cow for all it is worth. Whether the change towards WS13 comes or not remains to be seen but strategically we may have 2 engines one for export if it fits the bill and another one for local use. The former only because it will be pushed by China. However till the WS13 matures we wont know how good it actually is. One glitch and a platform loss may throw a spanner in the works.
A

First of all, my prayers for your health and best of luck with personal issues. TBH, when people with deep insight and weighing opinion penning less, then it is felt like they are not around.

That is correct with RD-93 that PAF is satisfied for the time being, flying the same and having no issue, therefore, IMO, Chinese engine has to go a bit further in performance area beside the full authority on product as expected. Interestingly, there are tight lips in this matter and everyone is hoping for a break. I am just expecting A Chinese engine with more life and desired thrust as DSIs have their own limitation and JFT is not going to cross such limit but still somehow, long life with more power engine would be considered and this is the same matter that we hear about RD-93MA with such possible changes to fulfill the requirements. Chinese Engine progress is already keeping in view the AESA factor and required power, I am sure. Hope to hear about the same in couple of months or so.

OK. All of these have 8-9 stage compressors in H/L config. with annular combustors and two stage turbine. Average reheat thrust for these engines range from 100-110 kN. Bypass ratio - cold compression is 0.6 for all WS engines, its around 0.2-0.3 for european engines. Overall LP compressor stage amongst other things defines the performance characteristics of an engine. EJ-200 tops the list.
what do you mean cold compression, and what is the 0.6 figure for?

interesting! @Horus looks like there might be other developments apart from avionics/weapon package with France. :-) We are the largest operators of french jets in Asia I wonder why they tried to abandon us :sick:
Greed saw money in India. Now it's not happening

Ratio: passive by-pass flow rate & core mass flow rate. Higher the number, more efficient the engine & vice versa.
so the ej200 has a higher by-pass ratio than the m88.
and the flow rate into the core is down to the efficiency of the compressors

as for fitting the ej200 into the jf-17 the ej200 is a tiny engine as compared to the rd93
the differance in the diameter of the ej200 being the most prominent difference would surely bring challenges if they wanted to fit the ej200 into the jf 17

ej200
  • Length: 4 m (160 in)
  • Diameter: 737 mm (29.0 in)
  • Dry weight: 990 kilograms (2,180 pounds)

rd-33/93
  • Length: 4,229 mm (166.50 in)
  • Diameter: 1,040 mm (40.94 in)
  • Dry weight: 1,055 kg (2,326 lb)

Back
Top Bottom