What's new

Pakistan shops for warships to replace British frigates, modernize Navy

I believe the single Perry frigate is being used for training purposes.

As far as I remember we have another ex-RN frigate beside Type 21, just forgot its class name. Is it in service or retired?

The Azmat program has been success so far , meeting all targets and expectations and now we just need the other projects to complete as well

Such as the Turkey Istambol or Ada deal , etc a long awaited deal. And arrival of Swift / Damen ships not heavily armed ships but still the first step is to form a good functional unit

The Type 054 A Unit will certainly fit in perfectly with scheme of things

PNS needs to go PAF route...and established a PAC like facility.

It is really a sad sight that a country which had a respectable ship building industry in the 60s is running around trying to buy ships albeit from brotherly countries.

Had there been sincere policy makers in Pak then PNS would have never had the need to buy second ships. Shameful really.

Chinese ship design has come of age just like Turkey's. Both countries are producing world class surface combatants.

PNS and Pak shipyards need to train engineers and workers...

The best and only viable route is to build ships locally...buy the design and all the necessary systems is you have too... but start building these vessels locally.

It is critical need of the hour to establish this 'strategic' capability.

As the projected economic growth and relevant power of Pak rises... PNS must become a robust force in South West Asia and East Africa.

A nuclear power which can't prouce its own battle ships is not a good sight for Pak Nation.

Make Pak Great Again!!!!

It is really a sad sight that a country which had a respectable ship building industry in the 60s is running around trying to buy ships albeit from brotherly countries.

Had there been sincere policy makers in Pak then PNS would have never had the need to buy second ships. Shameful really.

Chinese ship design has come of age just like Turkey's. Both countries are producing world class surface combatants.

The best and only viable route is to build ships locally...buy the design and all the necessary systems is you have too... but start building these vessels locally.

As the projected economic growth and relevant power of Pak rises... PNS must become a robust force in South West Asia and East Africa.

A nuclear power which can't prouce its own battle ships is not a good sight for Pak Nation.

Make Pak Great Again!!!!
You will see a lot of change when the ongoing upgrade of KSEW is complete.

IMHO the Type 054As are clearly going to be command ships ... one for the 4 F-22P, and one for the 4 MILGEM Ada during wartime and one for reserve and/or guiding the Swift Corvette and Damen OPV in policing the EEZ and SLOC during peacetime. While not as well-equipped as I would have liked (e.g. no OTHR or APAR like the proposed CSOC designs), the standard-fare AAW (with HHQ-16) will still provide an umbrella to each of those other ships (which would, at best, have PDMS). @Gryphon

Hi Bilal,

I would suggest you take this article with a pinch of salt. Written by Usman Ansari and quoting some anonymous 'naval spokesman'. The same author reported purchase of 4 additional F-22P's some years back.

From the article:

A naval spokesman told Defense News that a “contract has been placed in June 2017” for one Type 054A Jiangkai II frigate featuring the same sensors and weaponry as Chinese ships. An order for two more is under consideration.

The PLAN design is not marketed. Neither are some weapons like YJ-83 AShM. There are 2 export variants, which you are well aware of.

Regarding purchase of 1 (+2 optional) ships, I believe PN won't go for <2 ships as an initial order.

There is no compulsion to operate 4 F-22P / 4 Milgem Ada under one command ship (Type 054A export design). As the Ada class is ASW focused, it could be 2 F-22P + 2 Ada in one task force or 1 F-22P + 1 Ada + 1 other (like OHP/Type 21).

IMO, all frigates/corvettes, individually, should be capable of operating independently without relying on a larger ship for AD. 70 km range LY-80N is just a matter of time as well (if other options are not available for some reasons).

Last edited:

Make Pak Great Again!!!!
Battle ship apart we can't even make army trucks thanks to politicians

If USA and Pakistan relationship improved, Pakistan maybe able to acquire additional Perry class frigates (FFG-55 Elrod, FFG-56 Simpson, FFG-59 Kauffman and FFG-60 Rodney M. Davis). Also, German Bremen-Class Frigate will be decommissioned soon, Pakistan should be able acquire last 2 ships (F213 Augsburg and F214 Lubeck).

I think Turkish TF-2000 class frigate project is perfect for Pakistan.
2 TF-2000
4 Chinese Type 054A (Type 57 would have been a better option)
4 Milgem corvette
4 additional Azmat Class FAC

If USA and Pakistan relationship improved, Pakistan maybe able to acquire additional Perry class frigates (FFG-55 Elrod, FFG-56 Simpson, FFG-59 Kauffman and FFG-60 Rodney M. Davis). Also, German Bremen-Class Frigate will be decommissioned soon, Pakistan should be able acquire last 2 ships (F213 Augsburg and F214 Lubeck).

2 TF-2000
4 Milgem corvette
4 additional Azmat Class FAC
I somehow doubt we will go US ways now. And the reverse is unlikely to happen unless US encounters "significant difficulties" in Afghanistan. I dont think we now need to think of second hand ships, but of progressive local production.
A

If USA and Pakistan relationship improved, Pakistan maybe able to acquire additional Perry class frigates (FFG-55 Elrod, FFG-56 Simpson, FFG-59 Kauffman and FFG-60 Rodney M. Davis). Also, German Bremen-Class Frigate will be decommissioned soon, Pakistan should be able acquire last 2 ships (F213 Augsburg and F214 Lubeck) in 2018.

Pakistan Naval invetory should include:
2 TF-2000 class Frigate
4 Milgem corvette (2400T to 3000T)
4 Multimission Corvette (1500T)
4 additional Azmat Class FAC/or better option (500T to 600T)

The thing which we all are forgetting that Jane's in November quoted that PN is negotiating for 4 surface vessels
Jane’s Nov 2016 2+2 surface vessels for PN (1).jpg

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paki...igates-from-china.521954/page-11#post-9957213

plz listen Admiral Zaka Ullah speech at the change of command ceremony (@07:00) he said "Jadeed Jahazoo ke hasool ke liya dost mulk Chin ke saat Frigates ka muhayda tay pa gaya hai"
Naval chief could not use plural words two times in a single sentence by mistake so we can safely assume that this might be the first order of Type-54A from the contracted numbers.

The thing which we all are forgetting that Jane's in November quoted that PN is negotiating for 4 surface vessels
View attachment 445261
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paki...igates-from-china.521954/page-11#post-9957213

plz listen Admiral Zaka Ullah speech at the change of command ceremony (@07:00) he said "Jadeed Jahazoo ke hasool ke liya dost mulk Chin ke saat Frigates ka muhayda tay pa gaya hai"
Naval chief could not use plural words two times in a single sentence by mistake so we can safely assume that this might be the first order of Type-54A from the contracted numbers.

There are countless errors in the article which is all based on some anonymous sources.
According to the author, CSOC 4000 ton frigate is 'similar' to the F-22P. lol

The only thing worthy of reading in U. Ansari articles about Navy is the commentary from analysts.

Hi,

So---my assessments and analyssis of 3-4 years ago was right that pak navy desperately needed the type 054 kind of a Frigate.

So---we getting the subs---now the frigate---the chinese and the Turkish---the 3rd item left on my list was the JH7B type of aircraft---.

Reality hit the navy when the indian sub surfaced---the panicked that must have caused it---would have been worth watching---.

Now---if they really really want to hit the nail hard on the hard and sink it deep---they need the JH7B---2 sqdrn's at least to complete the TROIKA---.

@Khafee --- my stand has been vindicated---I got 2 out of 3---.

Pakistanis have been talking a lot about funds---so where did these funds come from---. See---the issue was never the funds---it was just understanding themselves and making the chinese understand as well about the need of the hour---.

The surfacing of the indian sub close to pak waters to create a diversion---and according to me---the presence of a 2nd indian sub to escape those critical areas---must have been an eye opener for many.

@Mangus Ortus Novem

If USA and Pakistan relationship improved, Pakistan maybe able to acquire additional Perry class frigates (FFG-55 Elrod, FFG-56 Simpson, FFG-59 Kauffman and FFG-60 Rodney M. Davis). Also, German Bremen-Class Frigate will be decommissioned soon, Pakistan should be able acquire last 2 ships (F213 Augsburg and F214 Lubeck) in 2018.
:disagree: No chance to improve relations with west in near future:disagree:

How many Damen ships are planned ?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom