What's new

Pakistan Navy seeking new jet power maritime patrol aircraft MPA

I suppose bro we won't really know until Pakistan approaches the Japanese regarding this. Personally I don't see the Chinese being so draconian regarding such a purchase. Someone also mentioned the cost, which is problematic.

apart from cost issue, will USA and India not interfere to pressure Japan to not sale to Pakistan..

apart from cost issue, will USA and India not interfere to pressure Japan to not sale to Pakistan..

India can’t do anything, the US wouldn’t care, it’s business.

Last edited:
In 2016 Pakistan has shown interest on CN 235 MSA, MPA and ASW when General Rashad Mahmoud visited PT Dirgantara Indonesia. I think it will be more efficient to induct propeller airplane to guard the sea than a jet plane.

Here is the news in Indonesia : https://regional.kompas.com/read/20....berminat.beli.pesawat.cn235-220.buatan.pt.di

US Coast guard using CN 235 MPA
73c10e90aaa71a04df9c6f795438575d.jpg

Last edited:
This news is true. However PN does not want anything like the USAF Poseidon. It wants a smaller platform that can evade radar and at the same time carry maritime sensors. Size of a business jet designed for maritime surveillance is the requirement. Many options are available but the only problem is either they are too expensive or they are not available to PN due to restrictions. With the advent of S400 induction with India such platforms will remain under severe threat from across the border

This news is true. However PN does not want anything like the USAF Poseidon. It wants a smaller platform that can evade radar and at the same time carry maritime sensors. Size of a business jet designed for maritime surveillance is the requirement. Many options are available but the only problem is either they are too expensive or they are not available to PN due to restrictions. With the advent of S400 induction with India such platforms will remain under severe threat from across the border
then why bother buying at all

The only non-ITAR platform I can find is basically the Saab Swordfish based on the Bombardier Global 6000. The sensor subsystems of the Swordfish (e.g. Star SAFIRE EO/IR pod, Leonardo Seaspray AESA radar, etc) are already in use by the ATR-72.

I think the main problem is finding a non-ITAR MAD and someone willing to help with integrating ASW torpedoes and AShM of choice at reasonable cost.

The only non-ITAR platform I can find is basically the Saab Swordfish based on the Bombardier Global 6000. The sensor subsystems of the Swordfish (e.g. Star SAFIRE EO/IR pod, Leonardo Seaspray AESA radar, etc) are already in use by the ATR-72.

I think the main problem is finding a non-ITAR MAD and someone willing to help with integrating ASW torpedoes and AShM of choice at reasonable cost.

There are other options as well. The Swedes are good but very expensive

I think PAC is also developing one domestically not sure about the status but the work has already begun.

The previous Air chief announced it him self there was a link here on this very forum. PAC is going to develop a civilian jet. Pakistan Navy will most probably use that jet. This is just an opinion and the reason for PAC to develop a civilian jet is to use it for AWAC and MAP type missions as well. Obviously we not going to develop some thing in the size of 747 but we will develop something like ATR and that jet fits the role Pakistan Navy is looking for.

PAC developing commercial aircrafts means it will serve dual purpose.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...f-commercial-aircrafts-soon-pac-official/amp/

There are other options as well. The Swedes are good but very expensive
The good thing about the Swedish option is that the only things belonging to Saab are its CMS and ASW and AShW weapons (all of which you can change if you pay for it).

But the plane is Canadian (w/UK engines), the radar from Selex (which is the same radar used aboard the PN's ATR-72), Star SAFIRE EO/IR and other COTS parts. The only subsystem of concern is the MAD, which is from General Dynamics Canada.

PAC never gave the size or class it intended to develop but they are working on one that is for sure. So Pakistan will most probably use domestic plane with Chinese or Russian or European marine surveillance tech. Pakistan has a habit of finding cheap solution and this road is cheap for Pakistan.

I think PAC is also developing one domestically not sure about the status but the work has already begun.

No. PAC simply refurbished the EriEye when they got a quote they could not afford from Saab-Ericsson

Back
Top Bottom