What's new

Pakistan Navy seeking new jet power maritime patrol aircraft MPA

AFM article on p-8 acquisition by Royal Navy best option at the time was c-295 (evals) but Due to political reasons went with p-8s but too expensive to acquire in large number plus operational cost per author

swordfish and other options such as airbus were not available or still design concepts

As said earlier, the Saab Swordfish on the Bombardier Global 6000 has 2/3 acquisition cost and 1/2 the life-cycle cost of the Boeing Poseidon. So we're looking at a purchase cost of around $80 m per Swordfish MPA and around $140-180 m per Swordfish (vs. $250-300+ m per Poseidon) with spare parts, training and weapons.

I am personally privy to the current PN requirement for a LRMPA that was launched in 2016 and its designed around a Business Jet Model and not an airliner model. PN wants to have smaller and more than to have larger and only a few. They are presently considering integration companies from Sweden, Germany, UK and USA.

I am personally privy to the current PN requirement for a LRMPA that was launched in 2016 and its designed around a Business Jet Model and not an airliner model. PN wants to have smaller and more than to have larger and only a few. They are presently considering integration companies from Sweden, Germany, UK and USA.
It's worth noting that Turkey's indigenous AShM - 'Atmaca' - will now enter serial production. I suspect their LWT - Orka - will follow in the near to mid-term. While there's always a need to test and negotiate, the PN now has a new Western-friendly armament option in Turkey. So arming MPAs isn't an issue. The key I think will be getting the US to release General Dynamics' MAD (ITAR).

I think the idea is to conduct long range anti submarine operations and patrolling in extended EEZ and beyond for extended hours by adopting jet power MPA in this case any MPA based on business jet might not be helpful

Turbofan powered Drones can patrol the EEZ while Affordable manned Jet Powered MPA patrol closer closer in would be a more economical and innovative approach to meeting the needs while saving on costs.

Turbofan powered Drones can patrol the EEZ while Affordable manned Jet Powered MPA patrol closer closer in would be a more economical and innovative approach to meeting the needs while saving on costs.
any such drone is available to PN at present or in near future .... ??

any such drone is available to PN at present or in near future .... ??
We can use these if China are willing to sell and modified these UAV to MPA role

WZ9/WZ-2000
WZ-2000.jpg

WZ-7
XiangLong-2.jpg

XiangLong-1.jpg
@HRK

We can use these if China are willing to sell and modified these UAV to MPA role

@HRK
still in development/not operational and its not clear that what ISR package it will carry so to perform MPA role it is premature to say that it will be an option for PN in a role PN want to employ Jet power MPA, secondly I find it difficult to believe that current drone could replace conventional MPAs, their role is limited even the American RQ-4 variant for Marine surveillance.

PN is already using drones in coastal area surveillance

still in development/not operational and its not clear that what ISR package it will carry so to perform MPA role it is premature to say that it will be an option for PN in a role PN want to employ Jet power MPA, secondly I find it difficult to believe that current drone could replace conventional MPAs, their role is limited even the American RQ-4 variant for Marine surveillance.

PN is already using drones in coastal area surveillance

Drone LRMPA is a bit fancy for PN at the moment. Barring US or maybe Russia or China and that too in a more trials stage only, no nation on Earth is using drones for dedicated LRMPA roles.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom