What's new

PAF to get extra F-16 Block-52+ ?

No where did i mention 'kill switch' because that is something i precisely understand.

I merely asked, how would the US know if particular part was opened. There cannot be CCTVs in every nook and corner.......and for USA to be alerted to unauthorised access, there must be a system built in that can record and communicate a breach. It would be possible in a number of ways:
The F-16 computers and systems are built as modules and connected to each other via cables. They are Line Replaceable Units (LRUs) which is a pretty standard aviation design technique. It is this LRU (shoe box shape enclosure) within which electronics are housed. Whether is the computer for the APG68 radar or the DB110 pod. So how does that particular unit communicate that it was opened?

1-It has its own internal power source to power an inbuilt sensor that then communicates information via a RF transmitter. But that RF transmitter would be very small, and hence limited in range. So anyone watching it must be within that range.
2-It records the breach and the next time DeD is inserted, it writes this on the DeD anonymously, which can then be read via systems that the US defense attache might have.

So do you have an explanation?
What about miniature transmitters using satcoms

& what about BVR engagement, further without the coordinates of the targets the Air to ground operation would be limited to dumb bombs only .....
I will just state that all weapons that do not require pre set coordinates can be used.

Its off a simulator site. But it pretty much realistic in terms of the common data that is usually present on the Horizontal Situation Display option in the F-16's MFD.
Have you tried Falcon 4 Allied Force?

As I said before Sir, there is no need to venture into classified territory. Suffice to say, USA would know about any unauthorized access.

Is it really classified.....or you don't know the answer?
I am curious to know which^^^.

So what? The plane will still fly according to the commands of the pilot, always.
And be able to fight to a certain degree as well. One must remember that there is always a level of leeway given by the seller to allow the system to still be kept going lest things get better and there is another opportunity to make a few bucks or so.

But as feared with this subject, a whole range of speculations arises. :rolleyes:
I suppose it has a lot to do with the third world environment in terms of computer systems. We have been too used to piracy. So the idea that a software is locked or with Digital Rights always comes with the idea that it can eventually be "cracked".

What has to be kept in mind is that unlike say your illegal copies of Windows which eventually have some Russian or Asian fellow coming up with an "activator", military grade software is MUCH.. MUCH.. MUCH more robust and with much harder encryption lockouts. If such a lockout was to be cracked.. could it be done? Possibly.. the Chinese could pitch in with a supercomputer or so. But that is just one view of looking at it. Chances are, it cannot be done as simply as that.

Best is to not worry our heads about it. The customer of the system took a concious and probably well thought out decision to purchase the aircraft. A decision that was possibly taken with a tacit assurance that at least with regards to the foe in the east, there would be no hindrances or disabling of systems.

I will just state that all weapons that do not require pre set coordinates can be used.
Sniper can generate coordinates but I have no confirmation that you can feed 'em to jdam in the air. Still if it can be done, you 'll have to get in lgb's range to the target, and then there is no point of using jdam without range advantage. But if you are on a critical target, your pod can see it but can't designate for lgb due to smoke, give away a jdam

And be able to fight to a certain degree as well. One must remember that there is always a level of leeway given by the seller to allow the system to still be kept going lest things get better and there is another opportunity to make a few bucks or so.

But as feared with this subject, a whole range of speculations arises. :rolleyes:
I suppose it has a lot to do with the third world environment in terms of computer systems. We have been too used to piracy. So the idea that a software is locked or with Digital Rights always comes with the idea that it can eventually be "cracked".

What has to be kept in mind is that unlike say your illegal copies of Windows which eventually have some Russian or Asian fellow coming up with an "activator", military grade software is MUCH.. MUCH.. MUCH more robust and with much harder encryption lockouts. If such a lockout was to be cracked.. could it be done? Possibly.. the Chinese could pitch in with a supercomputer or so. But that is just one view of looking at it. Chances are, it cannot be done as simply as that.

Best is to not worry our heads about it. The customer of the system took a concious and probably well thought out decision to purchase the aircraft. A decision that was possibly taken with a tacit assurance that at least with regards to the foe in the east, there would be no hindrances or disabling of systems.

Well said Sir, well said. Agreed 100%.

Is it really classified.....or you don't know the answer?
I am curious to know which^^^.

What does it matter? I will only refer to the conversation between me and Chogy ages ago right here of PDF. Infosec violations are serious bijniss. :D

What does it matter? I will only refer to the conversation between me and Chogy ages ago right here of PDF. Infosec violations are serious bijniss. :D

Do you have security clearance? Because i fail to believe that a classified information would be such freely communicated on internet forums.

Anyway, let's move on.

we can't say for sure. And maintenance and this sort of stuff would not be done in bunker

Maintenance not, but to have a look, yes you can open up the panels. They were designed that way, to be able to be replaced/removed easily on the flight line.

Chogy, for newer members. Was a USAF officer who flew F-15s with the 58th Fighter squadron( a squadron which also had the Pakistani American Pilot who died in a training exersize).

When asked on the subject his response was as follows and I think it only restates what I did and explains the issue best.

The AIM-120 was sold to Pakistan because Pakistan wanted the missile, and the U.S. wants good relations with Pakistan. It's no more complex than that. It would be insulting to Pakistan to limit arms only to those that could be used on the Taliban.

What got me going on this topic is the bold part of your quote... too many guys literally think it is a kill switch, and the jets won't even fly.

Think of the software in the F-16 as an OS, an operating system. You power the jet up, it boots, and you have a "basic installation", F-16 V5.0

You have an AI radar, HUD, algorithms to drop bombs, detect, track and engage airborne targets, navigate, etc etc. It'll fight just fine. But like any OS, you can install programs that might do something a little better than the basic OS applets. So NOTEPAD becomes MS WORD; you get more capability.

This is kind of a lame analogy, but hopefully it's understandable. Some of the software deals with super-sensitive data and operating modes. In my career, we had a vault full of material stamped SECRET/NOFORN, with NOFORN meaning "no dissemination to foreign (non U.S.) personnel. All States have material that they consider highly sensitive. What we have here is a data methodology to allow Pakistan access to critical data, without compromising that data. I hope this makes sense.

Source: Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2 | Page 270

Back
Top Bottom