Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2 September 2012 Last updated at 16:20 GMT

Egypt retires 70 army generals

world-middle-east-19456182

Seventy generals in the Egyptian armed forces are to be retired, the government has announced.
The move comes weeks after President Mohammed Mursi replaced the defence minister and the chief of staff.

However, six of the generals will keep their positions on the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (Scaf).Some analysts say Mr Mursi is asserting his authority over the army. There has so far been little adverse reaction from the military establishment.

Defence Minister Gen Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, who was appointed in President Mursi's military reshuffle last month, announced the changes.Power struggle In August, Mr Mursi had replaced Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi with Gen Sisi as both armed forces chief and defence minister.Gen Tantawi's number two, Gen Sami Enan, was also replaced.

Both men were prominent members of Scaf, the military body that ran Egypt after the fall of President Hosni Mubarak after mass protests in February 2011.In July, Scaf formally handed over power to Mr Mursi, Egypt's first ever democratically elected president.At the same time as the reshuffle, Mr Mursi issued a decree voiding an interim constitutional declaration from June that gave Scaf broad executive and legislative powers.

However, it was also announced that Field Marshal Tantawi and Gen Enan would stay on as advisers to Mr Mursi.Some analysts have suggested that at least some members of the Scaf must have been consulted in advance of such important changes to the military hierarchy.Generals Mohamed Assar, Mukhtar el-Mullah, Mahmoud Nasr, Fouad Abdel Hay, Mohamed Emara, and Mamdouh Shahin, will keep their membership of Scaf.

BBC News - Egypt retires 70 army generals

big-mac-comic-diet-coke-funny-hahaha-lol-Favim.com-42610.jpg

Fired

It is a good idea to get rid of the Mubarak era Generals. BTW, some of these guys look like they are 80 years old ( ever looked at the picture of field Marshal Tantawi ). I wonder what is the retirement age of Egyptian Armed forces ?

Good job.

Turkey has been doing same and it's come as a favor for the economy. Imran Khan states that he would do the same once he is in power.

Imran Khan i think can bring the immediate(Required:shout:) change in Pakistan.

I have a question to Egyptian forum members.
How do these recent changes in the military command structure are views by Egyptian?
are you guys pro or against it?
I mean almost all of the Egyptian high ranking officers (about 80) just got disposed off
and by any standard thats a lot,
Egypt now faces difficult security challenges how do you guys know that this purging of the military command
so quickly isnt a bad thing? it definetly weakens the military. it kinda remind me of stalin military purges to consolidate his power exept now one dies here, yet.

^ they are not at war so the decision wont weaken their defense atm.

Good job.

Turkey has been doing same and it's come as a favor for the economy. Imran Khan states that he would do the same once he is in power.

Why you talk for Turkey while you nothing know about it bro? All that retard so called evidens are proven to be a huge bullsh*t but still the generals are inside. Why? Wasnt AKP for justice? AKP is nothing but a civil dictatorship.

Back
Top Bottom