What's new

Modi's initiatives to make Hindi lingua franca

Most major countries have a de facto national language.

In America and Britain it is English (even though a large percentage of their populations are not native English speakers), in Germany it is German, in Japan it is Japanese.

Do you think Germans originally spoke the same language, a few hundred years ago? No, they were many different tribes with many different languages.

But as long as the de facto language is a native language, I don't see any reason why it should erode "cultural heritage" or anything like that.

I'm a native Cantonese speaker, but I learned Mandarin when I was young because that's the best way to communicate with other Chinese people. It's a common Chinese language, which reinforces Chinese culture rather than weakening it.

Modi simply sucks in spoken english................no big deal about it.
The article is absolute trash.

Plus no need to go gung ho on regional languages,,,,english is the future

They aren't that good in English either. I'm not generalizing, but whenever i hear some Tamil or Andhra guy speaking English, i picture how the Americans got their 'wobbly head' notion about Indian from.

Yea it's strange and it gives a (false) sense of inferiority complex.

How difficult is it to understand that the south Indian languages are very different from the north Indian languages and ergo the shyness in speaking hindi?
Albeit I have seen good amount of change in the attitude now.The youth of south understand and speak hindi.

And English is less different from South Indian languages? Come on, that excuse doesn't work anymore, it is much easier to learn Hindi for them than it is to learn English.

Behenji, kripiya aap is nikrist byakti ka hindi bhasa me dakshyata ka pariksha na le. :D
Hume iss baat ka puran gyaan hai ki aap ko sirf beeped words ka upyog karna aata hai. :P

And English is less different from South Indian languages? Come on, that excuse doesn't work anymore, it is much easier to learn Hindi for them than it is to learn English.
Did I not tell you that times have changed???
There a lot of north Indians living in the southern states of India and vice versa.That has brought the change.
But dont expect south Indians to speak hindi without an accent anytime soon.

Well he will converse in whatever language he is comfortable with after all he is the PM :o:

Tell that to the tamils and the other dravids who have an aversion to Hindi,
who are dravids??
we have no objections in learning hindi or whatever..Moreover Hindi is a compulsory subject from 5-10 th standard in Kerala...and optional in +1&+2...
if you don't know anything..STFU..

Yes, but they gets neutralized pretty quickly, while the accent of a typical south Indian lingers.

Dude, go to a corner store or hotel owned by a Gujarati or Punjabi next time. If you think there's no accent(compared with American), you probably have an Indian accent.:lol:

Good initiative. Indians don't speak English anyway..

5295924519_cfc5253d35.jpg

who are dravids??
You know clearly who I am talking about. I recently found out madrassi is offensive so I stopped using that word.

we have no objections in learning hindi or whatever..Moreover Hindi is a compulsory subject from 5-10 th standard in Kerala...and optional in +1&+2...

It needs to start earlier.

if you don't know anything..STFU.

Rude.

Yes, but they gets neutralized pretty quickly, while the accent of a typical south Indian lingers.
Oh phaaleez!
Do you want me to show you the accent of north Indians?? :P
The show starts at time stamp 1:47.

Last edited:
Dude, go to a corner store or hotel owned by a Gujarati or Punjabi next time. If you think there's no accent(compared with American), you probably have an Indian accent.:lol:

I have, and i'm not denying that. And given that i'm here for only a year, i might not be an apt example here. How about my observation on people staying here for more than a decade?

I have, and i'm not denying that. And given that i'm here for only a year, i might not be an apt example here. How about my observation on people staying here for more than a decade?

Even Sardars or Gujarati uncles who have been here still have an accent. And of course their kids dont count.

Some young Indian fobs, regardless of area do "neutralize" though. Unlike older folks.

Even Sardars or Gujarati uncles who have been here still have an accent. And of course their kids dont count.

Some young Indian fobs, regardless of area do "neutralize" though. Unlike older folks.

Sadar is an offensive word to us now much like madrassi is to you. Please stop using it.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom