What's new

Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag named new Army chief

Madamoiselle; that is the most appropriate word that I can find for a "bunch of bandicoots" aka Politicians who have messed around enough with India. The last thing that I can countenance is their messing up the institution which (arguably) is least tainted by them...........the Armed Forces. But their shenanigans are again surfacing in the case of this appointment of the COAS; for purely partisan reasons. More so; an ex-serviceman has a lot to with it. Which is more the pity. We would do well to keep the corrosion of politics away from this institution, to the extent that we can.
I concur!!!
But you could do without that word too.:sick:
The funniest part is that the supreme commander of all the armed forces in India is a politician,the President.
There's no way we can keep politics out of armed forces, fortunately unfortunately.
But yes the rules should be amended so that the the ruling party doesnt get involved in the selection of COAS.In this case since the President belongs to the ruling party, UPA definitely interfered with the selection.
Nonetheless as I said earlier it would be interesting to see 2 bitter enemies as Defence minister (Gen VK Singh) and COAS (Lt.Gen Suhag)
Little off topic but still relevant is how Lt Gen Dalbir Singh and Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra were promoted as commanders breaching seniority cum merit criteria during Gen.Bikram Singh's term.And also the fact that the DV ban was lifted over Lt.Gen Dalbir singh very conveniently.
All this was politically motivated but nobody raised their voice.

Irrespective of what people say. Lets welcome our new army chief. He is one of the most experienced officer with a great carrier.

I concur!!!
But you could do without that word too.:sick:
The funniest part is that the supreme commander of all the armed forces in India is a politician,the President.
There's no way we can keep politics out of armed forces, fortunately unfortunately.
But yes the rules should be amended so that the the ruling party doesnt get involved in the selection of COAS.In this case since the President belongs to the ruling party, UPA definitely interfered with the selection.
Nonetheless as I said earlier it would be interesting to see 2 bitter enemies as Defence minister (Gen VK Singh) and COAS (Lt.Gen Suhag)
Little off topic but still relevant is how Lt Gen Dalbir Singh and Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra were promoted as commanders breaching seniority cum merit criteria during Gen.Bikram Singh's term.And also the fact that the DV ban was lifted over Lt.Gen Dalbir singh very conveniently.
All this was politically motivated but nobody raised their voice.

The Supreme Commander may well be a politician, but it will be incumbent on him to act as the "President of India" which is supposed to be a non-partisan appointment ; which you may be aware of, I hope.

Then your thought that the ruling party is involved in the selection is funny; surely you meant that the Government is involved in the selection process; which I should assume that you are also aware of.
You seem to be implying that President is involved in the selection; which is also wrong. That even seems to display your unfamiliarity with the Indian Democratic system then.
The President while being SC of the AF is bound to act upon the advice of the Government. He/she cannot and does not arrogate the right to act independently. In case of any reservations that the President may have; he may well in turn offer his opinion(s) back to the Govt. Only in case of an Emergency; will the Govt.'s powers then devolve upon the President. I can tell you about past precedents on this matter; the earliest being back in the 1960s.

Then that bit of your post (unfortunately) exposes your political bias. Political bias(es) are insufficient reason to tamper with some established systems and procedures. Which is why the expression "MOFO" was used by me (with justification) to describe the imbecilic yet dastardly efforts used by political entities to muck about in such matters.

The last part of your post, off-topic as it may be is simply irrelevant. Lots of unsubstantiated innuendo has been thrown around mindlessly at many of the Generals; including V.K.Singh and his 'samdhi', Lt.Gen.A.K.Singh. You will do well not add your voice to that infernal chorus; Mademoiselle.

About V.K.Singh becoming RM..............................

The Supreme Commander may well be a politician, but it will be incumbent on him to act as the "President of India" which is supposed to be a non-partisan appointment ; which you may be aware of, I hope.
Ofcourse I am.

Capt.Popeye said:
Then your thought that the ruling party is involved in the selection is funny; .
Why should it be funny???
India’s Defence Ministry headed by Mr.AK Antony,a politician, recommended the name of Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag for the top post of the Indian Army.Isnt it??
The ministry had sent its recommendation to the Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by none other than the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh himself who again is a politician, shortly after receiving the go ahead from the Election Commission to which the matter had been referred in view of the Model Code of Conduct.
So isnt the ruling party involved???
Why did it sound funny to you I've no idea :coffee:
Capt.Popeye said:
You seem to be implying that President is involved in the selection; which is also wrong. That even seems to display your unfamiliarity with the Indian Democratic system then.
The President while being SC of the AF is bound to act upon the advice of the Government. He/she cannot and does not arrogate the right to act independently. In case of any reservations that the President may have; he may well in turn offer his opinion(s) back to the Govt. Only in case of an Emergency; will the Govt.'s powers then devolve upon the President. I can tell you about past precedents on this matter; the earliest being back in the 1960s.
So be it!!
But Mr.popeye,you completely misconstrued my post is what I would conclude.

Capt.Popeye said:
Then that bit of your post (unfortunately) exposes your political bias.
Really???

Capt.Popeye said:
Political bias(es) are insufficient reason to tamper with some established systems and procedures. Which is why the expression "MOFO" was used by me (with justification) to describe the imbecilic yet dastardly efforts used by political entities to muck about in such matters.

The last part of your post, off-topic as it may be is simply irrelevant. Lots of unsubstantiated innuendo has been thrown around mindlessly at many of the Generals; including V.K.Singh and his 'samdhi', Lt.Gen.A.K.Singh. You will do well not add your voice to that infernal chorus; Mademoiselle.

About V.K.Singh becoming RM..............................
Mr.know-It-All does it again!!!
:coffee:
You misconstrued the last part of my post too.
One,I am a political mugwump ergo the words like politically biased dont go down well.
Two,the last part of my post wasnt really irrelevant because i was talking about Lt.Gen Dalbir Singh SUHAG.
Three,words like MOFOs show your frustration against the politicians.And trust me these words dont even reach the politician's ears so using it here is risible.

Ofcourse I am.

Why should it be funny???
India’s Defence Ministry headed by Mr.AK Antony,a politician, recommended the name of Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag for the top post of the Indian Army.Isnt it??
The ministry had sent its recommendation to the Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by none other than the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh himself who again is a politician, shortly after receiving the go ahead from the Election Commission to which the matter had been referred in view of the Model Code of Conduct.
So isnt the ruling party involved???
Why did it sound funny to you I've no idea :coffee:

So be it!!
But Mr.popeye,you completely misconstrued my post is what I would conclude.

Really???

Mr.know-It-All does it again!!!
:coffee:
You misconstrued the last part of my post too.
One,I am a political mugwump ergo the words like politically biased dont go down well.
Two,the last part of my post wasnt really irrelevant because i was talking about Lt.Gen Dalbir Singh SUHAG.
Three,words like MOFOs show your frustration against the politicians.And trust me these words dont even reach the politician's ears so using it here is risible.

Nothing ever reaches (through) the ears of the Politicians aka MOFOS; that is precisely the reason why they have gone onto muck about matters in India for so many decades. Maybe you can think about that. :)

Nothing ever reaches (through) the ears of the Politicians aka MOFOS; that is precisely the reason why they have gone onto muck about matters in India for so many decades. Maybe you can think about that. :)

Wasn't I pointing at the same thing??? :coffee:
We're back to square one after taking a trip around the world.
But plsss get over your obsession with that word.:girl_wacko:

Well thanks for saying that, and thank god that it is so.
Any functional Democratic Country worth its salt, should have all its institutions fully developed enough so as to be independent of each other. One can't have the Army running Govt. or the Press running the Judiciary or the Judiciary running the Army or the Army running the Judiciary or the Govt running the press and so on.
If any of that is allowed to happen; then the state will be reduced to a "Bonsai State" running a "Banana Republik".

What an idea sirjee?
So the MOFO Old Bandicoot Poilticians then get to run the Army, like in the lovely days of 1962?
And fcuk everything up.
No more "ullu banoing" by the usual "ullu ke pathey".
Let effing Politics stay out of the Army and all things related to it. Otherwise you'll just end up being ground into the dust under some jack-boot eventually. Like some other people have had to on numerous occasions.

YOU COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT OF MY POST. THE INTERFERENCE OF POLITICS IN DEFENCE IS THE MOTHER OF ALL PROBLEMS IN INDIA .....I dont have a clue what you are talking about. Re read what I posted

The first and the loudest to complain against news of the outgoing Manmohan Singh government initiating the process to select a new Army chief was General V.K. Singh, now transitioning to full-time politics as a BJP Lok Sabha contestant.

The protest was strange, particularly coming from a former Army chief himself. The long-established Indian tradition in appointing service chiefs is about respecting seniority, irrespective of which government is in power. Supersessions are a rare exception. In fact, Gen V.K. Singh himself is a beneficiary of this tradition. He was made Army chief on 1 April 2010, despite grave reservations expressed on record by his predecessor, Gen Deepak Kapoor, whose apprehensions were borne out by V.K. Singh's tumultuous and very controversial tenure.

Now, after the calm of V.K. Singh's successor Gen Bikram Singh's tenure, which is due to end in July, the succession tumult is returning to haunt the Army.

The current Vice-Chief, Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, will be the senior-most Army officer when Bikram Singh retires, and by dint of seniority and tradition, is the front-runner for Army chief, no matter which government is selecting a chief. And unlike the recent case of the Navy, where the senior-most Vice-Admiral, Shekhar Sinha was overlooked on grounds of "moral responsibility" following a spate of accidents under his command, there's no such obstacle in Suhag's path.

General V.K. Singh's objections would, thus, appear curious, unless seen in context. In case Suhag is discredited as a UPA favourite or otherwise ruled out, the next-in-line for appointment as chief is the Southern Army Commander, Lt Gen Ashok Singh, who is related to V.K. Singh through marriage. V.K. Singh's daughter is married to Ashok Singh's son.

While in office, Gen V.K. Singh targeted both Bikram Singh and Suhag with a ferocity which stunned even the biggest cynics in the Army. V.K. Singh not just disapproved of both Bikram and Suhag, but his tenure coincided with determined campaigns to derail the careers of both these officers who were in line to succeed him.

Curiously, Ashok Singh would be the beneficiary if either Bikram or Suhag's careers were aborted.

Training his guns first at Bikram, V.K. Singh had openly slammed the succession chain, which his supporters claimed had been rigged to put Sikhs as Army chiefs (incidentally, Suhag is not a Sikh). He pointed fingers at former Army chief, Gen J.J. Singh, incidentally the first Sikh Army chief, for having patronised a communal succession chain, also insinuating that this had the blessings of the Sikh Prime Minister. This charge was strongly denied by Gen J.J. Singh, who, ironically put V.K. Singh in the succession chain by promoting him Lt Gen in 2006. The baseline for an officer to come in contention for the post of Army chief is promotion to the rank of Lt General. Thereafter, how far an officer progresses is a factor of his age relative to those of his peers. There is no deep selection after promotion to 3-star rank (Lt General). Bikram Singh was promoted Lt General during the tenure of General Deepak Kapoor, who was not known to see eye-to-eye with J.J. Singh.

It was even loudly alleged by V.K. Singh's supporters that Bikram Singh was related to the Prime Minister through his wife. This was factually incorrect.

The campaign against Bikram Singh was given a distinctly communal overtone, but Bikram Singh was to face even more vicious charges. It was alleged, first by whisper and innuendo and then through a PIL, that he faked an encounter in Kashmir. The PIL was filed in the J&K High Court by an unknown NGO, which was later probed for its sources of funding which were allegedly linked to a rogue unit in Military Intelligence.

Bikram Singh's detractors even made an issue of his Muslim daughter-in-law, by wrongly insinuating that she was a Pakistani.

Had Bikram Singh not made it as Army chief, the next-in-line to succeed V.K. Singh would have been Lt Gen K.T. Parnaik, whose retirement schedule would have put V.K. Singh kin, Lt Gen Ashok Singh as the frontrunner after him.

Bikram Singh survived the campaign against him, unprecedented in the Indian Army for its viciousness and communal colour. It was then that Lt Gen Dalbir Suhag came in the line of fire.

In March 2012, on the day the then Chinese President Hu Jintao was in New Delhi for the BRICS Summit, Gen V.K. Singh asked the CBI to probe Dalbir Suhag for alleged corruption in the procurement of parachutes during his tenure as Inspector General in the China-specific special force, the SFF. India has always denied to the Chinese the existence of this force, and ironically, the cover was blown off this secret force by V.K. Singh. This organisation was all over the headlines the day Hu Jintao was in town. The CBI threw out this complaint as frivolous.

V.K. Singh reserved his frontal assault on Dalbir Singh Suhag for the last week of his tenure. On the basis of a complaint of theft of a mobile during a low-level Military Intelligence raid on a suspected ULFA hideout led by a female captain in Jorhat in late 2011, V.K. Singh put Dalbir Singh on a promotion ban (Discipline & Vigilance ban) without first subjecting him to an inquiry. Dalbir, then commander of 3 Corps, was accused of lapse of command. Despite approval by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet of his promotion to the rank of Army Commander, which would put him in the line of succession, he was rendered ineligible by this unexpected ban by V.K. Singh. This ban was revoked by General Bikram Singh soon after taking over as chief.

No prizes for guessing who the immediate beneficiary of the relegation of Dalbir Singh Suhag would have been: Lt Gen Ashok Singh.

An Army court of inquiry ultimately ended with indicting a havaldar for stealing a mobile during the Jorhat raid, on the basis of which V.K. Singh wanted to unsettle the chain of succession to the post of Army chief.

Another interesting nugget on the V.K. Singh-Ashok Singh bonding was the troop movement to the outskirts of Delhi in January 2012 which "spooked" the UPA government and left it suspecting the intention of the Army chief at the height of his confrontation with the government over his age. A regiment of armoured vehicles from the Hisar-based 33 Armoured Division was moved to Delhi's periphery, causing much consternation and making the Defence Secretary summon the DG Military Operations to explain the movement. This unit was under 1 Corps, which was then commanded by Lt Gen Ashok Singh. V.K. Singh's headquarters dismissed this as a routine exercise. A bit curiously, neither the South-Western Army Commander (to which 1 Corps reports) nor the Western Army Commander (under whose command the Delhi Area falls) was aware of this movement when the matter was brought to their notice by intelligence agencies.

Gen V.K. Singh's renewed attack on Dalbir Singh comes in the final stages of the Defence Ministry processing the succession after Gen Bikram Singh. V.K. Singh has reiterated his severe reservations on Dalbir Singh, a soldier of humble origins, who is now being painted by some as a UPA general

V.K. Singh makes final bid to derail Army succession

This post doesn't look good at all,this VK singh guy seems like an overambitious vindicative person.

This post doesn't look good at all,this VK singh guy seems like an overambitious vindicative person.

1.Because the next in line is Southern Command chief Ashok Singh who is humzulf/brother-in-law of VK.

2. Is Suhag a mona Sikh or a Rajput?

So basically the top brass of their armed forces have their personal grudges against eachother!!!!!! Interesting.

Too many Singhs in indian army.

Other than Punjabis, other indians are gutless pretty much (except Muslims)....

lol

shitty armies have this issues all the time. Seeing this in indian army is no surprise.

Why do u always do this?Write useless racist posts to derail indian threads?

lol

shitty armies have this issues all the time. Seeing this in indian army is no surprise.

Oh this SHITTY army did 1971!!!! OOPss!!!

Why do u always do this?Write useless racist posts to derail indian threads?

Because that's what Armchair warriors with fragile egos do.

To cover up their insecurity they do this.

lol

Garbage post.

Fact- Singh is a Hindu/Sikh surname. The Sikhs took it from Hinduism to Sikhism as they converted.
Singh means lion and is a Kshatriya surname. Just like Pakistani rajputs still use hindu titles like Rana which they took along with them when they converted.

There are more Hindu Singhs in India than Sikh Singhs and both will not bat an eyelid before giving any sacrifice for our nation.

Stop spreading illogical and deluded lies that your parents have fed you. Pakistan lost half its territory because of such archaic thoughts of racial supremacy.

Neither

He is a Jat.

Third Gen Pakistanis think that Jats/Jatts/Gujars/Rajputs are muslim tribes. You have got to be more specific.

Mr. Dalbir Singh Suhag is a Hindu Jaat from Haryana.

2. Is Suhag a mona Sikh or a Rajput?

Glad to know that you understand the Sikh and Rajput cultural similarities. Didn't expect anyone from BD to know the term 'mona sikh'. Nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom