What's new

Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag named new Army chief

It's a done thing. No one will reverse this decision. There are no question marks about the man, VK Singh's opinion alone will not matter. The BJP isn't filled with idiots even if they occasionally do idiotic stuff. Any messing about with this appointment will clearly be politicking & the BJP is not about to do that. Which was why Ravishankar Prasad left it to the government's wisdom whether they wanted to proceed or not. Unlike other decisions, this one won't be even looked at for reversal.

we hope that BJP leaders shows maturity which UPA government has thoroughly lacked ...

But that does not mean that those of us in public maintain silence about this immoral and unethical action by UPA government .

This is not the first instance ...UPA has done it repeatedly n number of times ....

That's why they need to be taught lesson ...

what is surprising is that many people here are supporting and justifying actions of UPA government ..

@Indo-guy bro don't drag the new COAS's name through the mud just because of the general dislike/distrust of the UPA. I personally believe there is nothing wrong with this accession, since Bikram Singh became COAS Dulbir Singh has been in line to become the next COAS- fro 2 years now this has been on the cards and only now (during an election) the BJP are raising their objections. This has a LOT to do (actually everything to do) with VK Singh, it is his belief that the entire age issue that forced him out the door was because there was some nefarious conspiracy hatched to get Dulbir Singh as COAS, this was the narrative HE put out there because this is the only way he could defend himself on the issue. 2 years down the line and he has been pretty much silent on the matter until election time comes around (interesting that, not to mention he is now part of the BJP). His allegations on the TATRA trucks have come to NOUGHT- the CBI closed the case a few weeks back because there was absolutely 0 evidence of wrongdoing only an unsubstantiated claim by VK Singh.

Now I don't know what Mr VK Singh is playing at but it certainly seems that he is using anti-UPA sentiment to further his own interests I mean he has quickly been absorbed by the BJP and is set to attain quite a lofty position in the next Govt. He has broken with almost every established norm and thrust himself into politics immediately after retirement and let's not forget took the Govt to court (a move that is just not done in the Indian Mil) whilst still serving. Who knows how long he has been planning this? Possibly he was always looking to get into politics after retiring and has set him self up nicely to do the same.

I have no doubt that VKS has used the whole matter to further his own goals but through the process has tarnished the image of the institution that has made him all he is, I'm sorry but this is just not on.

Anyway, let's not forget, the post of COAS whilst being senior in the IA is not all that powerful a position. The Indian Mil is still 100% subservient to the civilian authority so even IF (and that's a big if) he has ties to Congress (again entirely unsubstantiated and bordering on slander really) so what? The BJP govt (looks to be the next GoI) will still be able to dictate to him quite easily and he will not have any say on national policy.

The supporters of Congress and BJP on this forum need to be controlled.

This is defense forum not political one.

On Topic: Best luck to our new army chief.

Now I don't know what Mr VK Singh is playing at but it certainly seems that he is using anti-UPA sentiment to further his own interests I mean he has quickly been absorbed by the BJP and is set to attain quite a lofty position in the next Govt.

I believe that you are right. Unfortunately the legal tussle between him and GOI along with the age row has cost the image of India Army.

Indian Army is meant to protect nation and should be away from politics.

Last edited:
The supporters of Congress and BJP on this forum need to be controlled.

This is defense forum not political one.

On Topic: Best luck to our new army chief.

He has been 'named' as successor to current army chief by Cabinet committee .

President is yet to give his assent to the appointment .

and even if president gives his assent ...the decision will materialize only after 2 months that too if next government does not rescind the decision .

You need to wait , otherwise your wishes may turn too premature !!!

what is wrong with this ascension is the timing .

UPA government has no moral authority to name successor of current army chief when it is lame-duck and when it's matter of few hours to days when new government will be installed

same government took several months to fill in the vacancy of Navy chief ...and why they are in hurry to name successor to Army chief ???

Let the results come out,

Dont count on mangoes before they ripe.

Let the results come out,

Dont count on mangoes before they ripe.

Did I count mangoes ?

I said new government ...did I say NDA government ...Modi government ???

Do you understand the difference ???

My contention is that even if it was UPA-III government in waiting ....UPA - II should have left the decision for incoming government ...does that make sense to you ???

I am not taking any party line ...

This is the question of propriety and ethics ...they transcend beyond party lines ...and are above other issues like institution of army , constitutional right of government , executive function and so on ....

I hope you will understand what I am trying to say here .

stop justifying absolutely obscene step taken by UPA government .

Is Indian army in crisis ....that government has to name successor of current army chief in such hurried manner ...

these retards took several months to name new Navy chief ...which was much more important and urgent .

They similarly tried to instigate judiciary probe panel against modi ..which backfired because allies backtracked ...

There is pattern to UPA decisions ...

I do not understand why you are so blinded that you can't see their machinations ...rather you dare to go on defending their moves ....

The explanation offered by @Abingdonboy is satisfactory.

I agree with him, this issue should not be politicized.

The selection of Mr. Suhag is legal, he has been selected as he was in line of succession and senior most.

Did I count mangoes ?

I said new government ...did I say NDA government ...Modi government ???

Do you understand the difference ???

My contention is that even if it was UPA-III government in waiting ....UPA - II should have left the decision for incoming government ...does that make sense to you ???

I am not taking any party line ...

This is the question of propriety and ethics ...they transcend beyond party lines ...and are above other issues like institution of army , constitutional right of government , executive function and so on ....

I hope you will understand what I am trying to say here .

I do, but consider this.

It is not clear yet that which party will come to power.

The new government could be UPA-3 or UPA-3 supported heavily by third front parties too.

The selection of Mr. Suhag is legal, he has been selected as he was in line of succession and senior most.

The new government could be UPA-3 or UPA-3 supported heavily by third front parties too.

The issue is not who is going to be next army chief ...issue is whether the minority government should have done so when it's matter of just few days that new government will be installed.

There was no urgency to do ...

It's immoral act on part of UPA government to rush to take decision...pragmatic thing would have been to let the new government announce the decision .

It's UPA government that has politicized the issue by rushing to take this decision .

@Abingdonboy is not GOD .

You may agree with him . I am not obliged to .

I am free to express my opinion ...just as you or anybody else should be .

I do, but consider this.

You think that new government could be UPA -III or UPA III + or whatever you want to name it ...

But unfortunately UPA II does not share your unfettered optimism ....that's why they rushed to take decision with just 3 days to go for counting of votes .

If they knew they are coming to power by backdoor..they would not have done what they did ....

Their frustration and hopelessness is reflected in their hurried calculated moves .

Last edited:

I do, but consider this.

Why this unseemly haste in army chief appointment?

The unseemly hurry with which the government has bulldozed the appointment of Lt. Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag as Chief of Army Staff betrays the opportunistic instincts of the Congress-led UPA-2.
There are barely four days to go for the Prime Minister to demit office and involving him in making this appointment possible before the next government takes over points to thinking that only the UPA can decide what is good governance.
In any case, the UPA’s chances of forming the next government cannot be altogether discounted regardless of what the exit polls may project as the highest possibility. The EC has given permission for the appointment to be made and there is no doubt with regard to the credibility of the officer in question, or his seniority and eligibility to head the Army.
Questions will arise only if the incoming government forsakes the seniority principle the Army follows scrupulously in choosing the most senior officer with at least two years’ service left to be the chief. Even so, the appointment would have been morally right and politically correct if it had been left to the next government to make.
The outgoing government is setting a bad precedent by going ahead at this late hour. The greatest feature of the Indian Army is its largely apolitical character that goes way beyond any individual preferences and personality politics within the ranks.
No officer’s name need be dragged into needless controversy over elevation in such circumstances. The whole process of elevation of the most senior officer is being vitiated in the manner in which it is being done in an open democratic set-up.

The accession of the Navy chief and Army chief are two very different issues bro. In the IN's case Mr Joshi left PREMATURELY and he himself nominated Admiral RK Dhowan as his immediate replacement in his resignation letter. The months it took to sort out the IN CNS issue was because Vice-Admiral Shekhar Sinha was senior to RK Dhowan BUT it was Vice-Admiral Shekhar Sinha, commander of the Western fleet, under whom mishap after mishap had taken place which had pi$$ed off both the CNS (then Joshi) and the MoD and it was Vice-Admiral Shekhar Sinha who had been reprimanded ad made to march up in ceremonial dress to the IN's senior leadership ( a form of reprimand used on lower officers mostly and almost unheard of for such senior officers) as a result of these mishaps. Very rightly the MoD felt that Vice-Admiral Shekhar Sinha was not up to the task of running the IN and correcting the issues that he himself had let occur under his watch up to then. For this RK Dhowan was made the CNS quite rightly too.

You cant be serious...

we hope that BJP leaders shows maturity which UPA government has thoroughly lacked ...

But that does not mean that those of us in public maintain silence about this immoral and unethical action by UPA government .

This is not the first instance ...UPA has done it repeatedly n number of times ....

That's why they need to be taught lesson ...

what is surprising is that many people here are supporting and justifying actions of UPA government ..

Your argument holds little water. An action is illegal or legal, attaching morality doesn't make a lot of sense because definition of that can vary. You can argue till the cows come home about how the UPA has no moral authority but that has little bearing on the actual fact because till the new government is formed or atleast till the election results are out, this government is completely in control. Just like the NDA government was during Kargil(not comparing the two situations but the legal logic is the same). Actually morally even more so (legally same), because this government was not defeated on the floor of the house & retains the full authority of the constitutional powers vested in it until that time when it changes.

I agree with you that they should not have gone down this route. However, there are absolutely no legal barriers nor can this decision be criticised on merit.

Your argument holds little water. An action is illegal or legal, attaching morality doesn't make a lot of sense because definition of that can vary. You can argue till the cows come home about how the UPA has no moral authority but that has little bearing on the actual fact because till the new government is formed or atleast till the election results are out, this government is completely in control. Just like the NDA government was during Kargil(not comparing the two situations but the legal logic is the same). Actually morally even more so (legally same), because this government was not defeated on the floor of the house & retains the full authority of the constitutional powers vested in it until that time when it changes.

I agree with you that they should not have gone down this route. However, there are absolutely no legal barriers nor can this decision be criticised on merit.

Your argument does not hold water .

If UPA government is legally correct to name successor to current army chief who is about to retire in 2 months ..then new government will also be legally right to overturn that decision .

do you see what happens if we just rely on legality of decisions ???

If new government does go ahead and use its constitution borne Executive right to withdraw nomination of Lt Gen Dalbir singh & appoint some other person as army chief that it deems is appropriate to lead Indian army ...then will your argument regarding legality of Government's decision continue ???

It's a done thing. No one will reverse this decision. There are no question marks about the man, VK Singh's opinion alone will not matter. The BJP isn't filled with idiots even if they occasionally do idiotic stuff. Any messing about with this appointment will clearly be politicking & the BJP is not about to do that. Which was why Ravishankar Prasad left it to the government's wisdom whether they wanted to proceed or not. Unlike other decisions, this one won't be even looked at for reversal.

Good point.

Also I've always said I don't like this VK Singh guy. He's more a AAPTARD than a Hindutva Fascist if you know what I mean ;)

New Army Chief starts with a handicap he could have done without - Rediff.com India News

It would perhaps have been better for Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh to have been elevated to the top post by the new government, notes R S Chauhan.

Getting elevated as the next Army Chief starting August 1 is like winning only a quarter of the battle for the current Vice-Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh (apparently, he doesn't like to use the 'Suhag' in his name, according to his spin doctors).
Cleared to become the Indian Army's 26th chief in a last gasp decision by the outgoing United Progressive Alliance government on Tuesday, General Dalbir Singh will have to overcome perceived and real perceptions among the possible leading lights of the next government, that his selection was hastily pushed through.
Essentially, General Dalbir Singh will start with a handicap he could well have done without.
In the normal circumstances, the appointment of a new Army Chief should have been kept out of any political wrangling, but the stand taken by former Army Chief and now the Bharatiya Janata Party's Ghaziabad Lok Sabha candidate General V K Singh (retd), that the outgoing government's unseemly haste in appointing General Dalbir Singh smacks of a conspiracy, has inevitably given the process a political colour.
General V K Singh and General Dalbir Singh have a history. As the outgoing Army Chief in the last week of May 2012, General V K Singh had imposed a disciplinary ban on General Dalbir Singh for having ignored a serious breach of standard operating procedures by an intelligence unit under him in the Dimapur-based 3 Corps.
That ban meant General Dalbir Singh would have become ineligible to be an Army Commander, a prerequisite to become Army Chief.
General Bikram Singh, General V K Singh's successor, however, lifted the ban the moment he took over on June 1, 2012. General Dalbir Singh was promptly elevated to become the Eastern Army Commander and then brought to Delhi as Vice-Chief in January this year.
As the senior-most general when General Bikram Singh demits office on July 31, General Dalbir Singh is rightfully the next chief.
If -- as widely predicted -- the Bharatiya Janata Party comes to power and General V K Singh too becomes an MP, if not a minister, General Dalbir Singh will have to overcome the suspicion that will linger on in sections of the new dispensation.
It would perhaps have been better, as NDTV's Nitin Gokhale wrote on his blog last week, for General Dalbir Singh to have been elevated to the top post by the new government. Gokhale wrote, 'Whoever is the next incumbent as the Chief of Army Staff -- and there is no indication to believe the next government will go against the seniority principle -- will start his innings on a strong wicket if the announcement is made by the fresh government in Delhi. Whoever it is will not carry the baggage of being the previous government's man, if the new government makes the appointment.'
The challenge of overcoming a lingering suspicion among the top political leaders of the next dispensation apart, General Dalbir Singh will have to make sure that the Indian Army makes optimum use of increasingly scarce resources at a time when it has set itself the ambitious target of raising a Mountain Strike Corps which is estimated to cost over Rs 70,000 crore at current prices, to be spent over the next seven years.
The Army is also battling obsolescence in most of its basic weaponry and is short of critical weapons platforms like artillery guns and is saddled with outdated basic infantry weapons. General Dalbir Singh, who will have a two year, four month tenure, will have to make special efforts to expedite the acquisition processes so that the troops remain armed with the latest weapons.
Commissioned into the 4/5 Gorkha Regiment in 1974, General Dalbir Singh has traversed the usual path that an infantry officer in the Indian Army takes -- Sri Lanka, Kashmir, North-east -- to reach the top. But his last couple of years in uniform will perhaps be the most challenging for this soldier.

Your argument does not hold water .

If UPA government is legally correct to name successor to current army chief who is about to retire in 2 months ..then new government will also be legally right to overturn that decision .

do you see what happens if we just rely on legality of decisions ???

If new government does go ahead and use its constitution borne Executive right to withdraw nomination of Lt Gen Dalbir singh & appoint some other person as army chief that it deems is appropriate to lead Indian army ...then will your argument regarding legality of Government's decision continue ???

The new government would be entitled to reverse this or any other decision, it would be foolish of them to do so which is why the won't, but still legally correct. There was no hanky-panky in announcing that the senior-most general will be the CoAS. If the Congress had pushed for someone else, that would certainly be the case but not here. There is simply not much of an argument here to be made against this decision.

Back
Top Bottom