What's new

Israel 'assassinates' Hamas commander in Dubai

After watching that video i am surprised the world still doesn't really care about this. I know Mossad as been doing assassinations for a long time but it is 2010 and this isn't seen as barbaric ? There is something called the "trial" it worked for Turkey when we caught abdullah öcalan who was probably the most hated person in Turkey at the time.

I guess some things like this show the real intentions of countries.

The **** is about to hit the fan. Britain summoned the Israeli ambassador and the foreign minister said he is "outraged" by this. UAE is not happy about this either.

That's not a good location to put a camera. You can watch only so much from there. I believe those might be the stairs. It would be a better idea to place the camera (or a series of cameras) behind each other face down the hallway in the vertical direction. Something like this:

http://img404.imageshack.us/i/plancouloirmysterieux.jpg/

It would still cover the stairs.
I know that's a lot of cameras, but considering how many cameras they already have, it shouldn't be a problem. Or place them slightly farther away to reduce the number of cameras. So instead of having 5 cameras in this picture, there would be 3.

The **** is about to hit the fan. Britain summoned the Israeli ambassador and the foreign minister said he is "outraged" by this. UAE is not happy about this either.

They are outraged but what are they going to do in the end ? That is the important part.

It's the passports situation that I find most interesting. Were they the real thing, or were they copies? In his book Inside the Aquarium ex-Soviet spy "Viktor Suvorov" describes that there is always a market for stolen passports, and that collecting these is a low-to-medium task for intelligence officers. I wonder if somebody did just that, then decided to use them...

Which intelligence service would (1) have the opportunity to collect old passports of Israeli immigrants, (2) want to assassinate a Hamas commander, and (3) be so low-tech, so unskilled, as to use existing passports, rather than manufacture copies?
They used European passports of dual Israeli citizens. The UAE government has put the ball (and blame) onto those European government to launch up investigations of their own.

However the people who did commit the crime were different people than who is on the passports.

At the very least by launching this global hunt and giving this massive over the top response, all governments would think twice before using UAE as their sparring grounds. UAE has to maintain its high standards of security.

They are outraged but what are they going to do in the end ? That is the important part.
UAE's response has been very responsible and haven't stopped at rhetoric, they're pinging every agency and making them work to provide answers for their questions.

It's been the top headlines in local newspapers till now.

After watching that video i am surprised the world still doesn't really care about this. I know Mossad as been doing assassinations for a long time but it is 2010 and this isn't seen as barbaric ? There is something called the "trial" it worked for Turkey when we caught abdullah öcalan who was probably the most hated person in Turkey at the time.

I guess some things like this show the real intentions of countries.
Then why do you commit to NATO if you are so against "these countries"? Why not become neutral like us and feel free to criticize any faction that is right or wrong? Because I am sure that there is only one Israel and "these countries" doesn't refer to a single country.

At the rate at which Britain is going against Israel, I think they both are headed on a collision course unless someone intervenes. First the threat to arrest Tzipi Livni and now this...

Israel seems to be getting into a lot of hot water by using fake passports. This isn't good for the reputation of the respective countries whose passports they held. However the news report claims that the identity of the holders was different from the one who actually did the killing. Then how is this possible? Curious.

At the rate at which Britain is going against Israel, I think they both are headed on a collision course unless someone intervenes. First the threat to arrest Tzipi Livni and now this...

Israel seems to be getting into a lot of hot water by using fake passports. This isn't good for the reputation of the respective countries whose passports they held. However the news report claims that the identity of the holders was different from the one who actually did the killing. Then how is this possible? Curious.
I've heard of Russians who can make you any passport of the world for US$5000. Usually what they do is, they have some inside guy who can change photographs in the official database of European governments. They take the passports of any individual who is dead but not yet processed as dead (meaning on records he/she is alive), and do a switchover with your photograph. You get the dead guys name and ID.

If the Russians syndicates can do it, so can the Israeli government.

Then why do you commit to NATO if you are so against "these countries"? Why not become neutral like us and feel free to criticize any faction that is right or wrong? Because I am sure that there is only one Israel and "these countries" doesn't refer to a single country.

Being commited to NATO is from a military stand point and it is good for Turkey it keeps us in good relations. You don't have to be Neutral to criticize Israel the PM of Turkey did it at Davos after the Gaza incident. I shouldn't refer to it as Israel but more so as the government and policies that government still has. I am not criticizing the people more so the policies and the way they go about doing things.

Thaw relations. The UK is not like America. The population are not as supportive of Israel as you might think. Especially with the elections in few months, this could turn out bad for Israel.

They used European passports of dual Israeli citizens. The UAE government has put the ball (and blame) onto those European government to launch up investigations of their own.

However the people who did commit the crime were different people than who is on the passports.

At the very least by launching this global hunt and giving this massive over the top response, all governments would think twice before using UAE as their sparring grounds. UAE has to maintain its high standards of security.

The UAE is scared that Israel is trying to turn it into the Beirut of the middle east. As soon as this incident occurred, Jerusalem times ran an article about how insecure, unstable and dangerous the UAE is.

By the way, they used forged passports, they didn't use the passports of dual Israeli citizens. That is why the UK is so angry.

Thaw relations. The UK is not like America. The population are not as supportive of Israel as you might think. Especially with the elections in few months, this could turn out bad for Israel.

I hope the UK takes serious measures i see from the news they are not taking this lightly at all.

Robert Fisk: Britain's explanation is riddled with inconsistencies. It's time to come clean

How could the Arabs pick up on a Mossad killing, if that is what it was? Well, we shall see

Collusion. That's what it's all about. The United Arab Emirates suspect – only suspect, mark you – that Europe's "security collaboration" with Israel has crossed a line into illegality, where British passports (and those of other other EU nations) can now be used to send Israeli agents into the Gulf to kill Israel's enemies. At 3.49pm yesterday afternoon (Beirut time, 1.49pm in London), my Lebanese phone rang. It was a source – impeccable, I know him, he spoke with the authority I know he has in Abu Dhabi – to say that "the British passports are real. They are hologram pictures with the biometric stamp. They are not forged or fake. The names were really there. If you can fake a hologram or biometric stamp, what does this mean?"

The voice – I know the man and his origins well – wants to talk. "There are 18 people involved in the killing of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh. Besides the 11 already named, there are two Palestinians who are being interrogated and five others, including a woman. She was part of the team that staked out the hotel lobby." Two hours later, an SMS arrives on my Beirut phone from Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates. It is the same source.

"ONE MORE THING," it says in capital letters, then continues in lower case. "The command room of the operation was in Austria (sic, in fact, all things are "sic" in this report)... meaning the suspects when here did not talk to each other but thru the command room on separate lines to avoid detection or linking themselves to one another... but it was detected and identified OK??" OK? I ask myself.

y source is both angry and insistent. "We have sent out details of the 11 named people to Interpol. Interpol has circulated them to 188 countries – but why hasn't Britain warned foreign nations that these people are using passports in these names?" There was more to come.

"We have identified five credit cards belonging to these people, all issued in the United States." The man will not give the EU nationalities of the extra five – this would make two women involved in Mr Mabhouh's murder. He said that EU countries were cooperating with the UAE, including the UK. But "not one of the countries we have been speaking to has notified Interpol of the passports used in their name. Why not?"

The source insisted that one of the names on a passport – the name of a man who denies any knowledge of its use – has travelled on it in Asia (probably Indonesia) and EU countries over the past year. The Emirates have proof that an American entered their country in June 2006 on a British passport issued in the name of a UK citizen who was already in prison in the Emirates. The Emirates claim that the passport of an Israeli agent sent to kill a Hamas leader in Jordan was a genuine Canadian passport issued to a dual national of Israel.

Intelligence agencies – who in the view of this correspondent are often very unintelligent – have long used false passports. Oliver North and Robert McFarlane travelled to Iran to seek the release of US hostages in Lebanon on passports that were previously stolen from the Irish embassy in Athens. But the Emirates' new information may make some European governments draw in their breath – and they had better have good replies to the questions. Intelligence services – Arab, Israeli, European or American – often adopt an arrogant attitude towards those from whom they wish to hide. How could the Arabs pick up on a Mossad killing, if that is what it was? Well, we shall see.

Collusion is a word the Arabs understand. It speaks of the 1956 Suez War, when Britain and France cooperated with Israel to invade Egypt. Both London and Paris denied the plot. They were lying. But for an Arab Gulf country which suspects its former masters (the UK, by name) may have connived in the murder of a visiting Hamas official, this is apparently now too much. There is much more to come out of this story. We will wait to see if there are any replies in Europe.

Robert Fisk: Britain's explanation is riddled with inconsistencies. It's time to come clean - Robert Fisk, Commentators - The Independent

Interpol issues arrest warrants for 11 over Dubai hit
Updated at: 0755 PST, Friday, February 19, 2010

DUBAI: Interpol has issued arrest warrants for 11 suspects accused of killing a senior Hamas official in Dubai last month.

The warrants were issued after Dubai Police Chief Dahi Khalfan Tamim called on Interpol to issue "a red notice against the head of Mossad… as a killer in case Mossad is proved to be behind the crime, which is likely now."

According to Tamim, investigations have revealed that the Israeli spy agency Mossad was behind the murder of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh.

“It is 99 percent, if not 100 percent certain that Mossad is behind the murder," he told the United Arab Emirates newspaper The National on Thursday.

On Monday, Dubai authorities launched an international manhunt for 11 suspects in the murder of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, who was killed in his hotel room on January 19, hours after he arrived in Dubai from Syria.

The Dubai police identified 11 people, 10 men and a woman, suspected of killing the top Hamas official who had survived at least three other assassination attempts. According to the police, the suspects arrived in Dubai the day before the killing. Five of them carried out the crime while the remaining six served as lookouts, the police said.

Dubai police said on Monday that the 11 suspects had European passports: one French, three Irish, six British, and one German. A French national, identified as Peter Elvinger allegedly acted as the logistical mastermind in the Dubai hit.

Meanwhile, there are reports that Austrian phone numbers were apparently used to plan al-Mabhouh's assassination.

The Austrian Interior Ministry says the country's investigators are in touch with the Dubai police to try to get to the bottom of things. Media reports speculate that the killers used up to seven Austrian SIM cards or phone numbers while preparing for the hit.

Interpol issues arrest warrants for 11 over Dubai hit

Back
Top Bottom