What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

They opted or a limited widespread opening strike thinking that they would only face paltry Ukrainian resistance (boy were they fucking wrong lol). Using COIN tactics to achieve their missions objectives but, as you correctly said. They've absolutely failed to nullify advanced TB2 drones (amongst other assets) which are now hidden all over the place and attacking vulnerable sections of Russias long armored columns.

It seems as though they've changed pace and are going a more traditional heavy counterforce route in order to achieve battlefield objectives.

Either that, or they just don't have enough of the Iskander missiles for this operation. The rest are somewhere else.

Either that, or they just don't have enough of the Iskander missiles for this operation. The rest are somewhere else.

Rob Lee on Twitter has a thread about how the Russian military (unlike America, Iran, etc..) doesn't have that large an arsenal of precision weaponry (missiles, cruise, quasi-ballistic). So that might have been a reason why the opening salvo was not as impactful.

Rob Lee on Twitter has a thread about how the Russian military (unlike America, Iran, etc..) doesn't have that large an arsenal of precision weaponry (missiles, cruise, quasi-ballistic). So that might have been a reason why the opening salvo was not as impactful.
Makes you think about the hoopla on new missiles and other armaments like the new stealth fighter and bombers, nuclear sea drones, etc. I'm sure some are real, but I think they are having a hard time producing them in large quantities.

Makes you think about the hoopla on new missiles and other armaments like the new stealth fighter and bombers, nuclear sea drones, etc. I'm sure some are real, but I think they are having a hard time producing them in large quantities.

Undoubtedly this is the case.

The Su-57 is a perfect example of this issue. I still remember when the Russians and Indians were working on this 5th-gen fighter together until the Indians finally decided that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and left the project leaving only Russia to work on it and they still haven't gotten it to mass-production phase yet I believe.

Only other nation on the Earth that has managed to both mass-produce and field their own domestic 5th-gen fighter is China with their J-20.

Iran vs Al Assad Airbase, Iraq:
Ain_al-Assad_air_base%2C_8_jan_2020.png

Russia vs Ozerne Airbase, Ukraine:
FMtAz0_XMAQeCD8

If this were an American operation, you would have seen thousand of civilians killed already. Going into this, for the sake of their image, the Russians wanted to avoid civilians casualties if they could help it. They also wanted to keep most of Ukraines infrastructure intact since that would be an asset.

Ukranians are putting up more resistance than Putin would have liked but we have to keep in mind that not only the US but the entire west is supporting Ukraine with modern weapons. When the US invaded Iraq, the Iraqis had almost no ATGMs and MANPADS to speak of. They also had no support from anyone.

Anyways the Russians are sending more and more reinforcements into Ukraine and are now using more heavy handed and ruthless tactics. Right now there is a column heading to Kiev that is 65 KM long. Most of the weapons being sent to the front now consists of heavy armor.

Of course with multiple fronts it's difficult to stay organized and to provide air defenses to every unit. Another issue is that the Russians seem to be far too over confident going into this. Notice how their columns are not spread out like they should be. Also a system like TOR is famous for being able to be active while mobile, but the Russians don't even bother activating its radar while on the move ? That's either sheer stupidity or overconfidence on their part.

Anyways it will be interesting to see what transpires as the Russians tighten the noose and begin pounding enemy positions with their full might. Despite losses they are advancing and soon the Ukrainians will begin to run out of food, water, ammunition and they will have no heating or electricity. Cunningly the Russians have offered civilians a way out through "humanitarian corridors" If this escalates, soon Ukrainian cities that don't concede defeat will be turned into ghost towns and rubble.

Last edited:
Well the Russians have also destroyed most of Ukraine's airforce and air defenses at this point. They've also struck hundreds of other targets. The Russians could easily show off their achievements but they don't want to antagonize and enrage the Ukrainian population anymore than they already have.

Yes Iran has done pretty well for itself considering its limitations. Al Assad was really about sending a message more than anything and it did. However in case of a real war scenario, Iran would only strike at the most sensitive and vital targets of the enemy, including communications, command and control, etc.

Airfields can always be quickly repaired, but people who have been trained for decades are much harder to replace. A group of commanders or vital communication equipment at an HQ that costs tens of millions, even fighter jets that cost $100 million each. These cannot so easily be replaced.

Iran vs Al Assad Airbase, Iraq:
Ain_al-Assad_air_base%2C_8_jan_2020.png

Russia vs Ozerne Airbase, Ukraine:
FMtAz0_XMAQeCD8

It looks like the 4 Missiles at the right fall 20 Meters to short, what is within the CEP of 10-30 meters.

The missiles themselves would have coordinates locked in prior to launch, so something must have gone wrong during in-flight correction or during the terminal descent phase.

Wow...Russia's performance has been an utter disaster. I can't believe what I'm seeing....
the missile also need altitude of the target , also altitude of where you are and then they also need coordination of target and your own coordination . any of them can made the problem

They opted or a limited widespread opening strike thinking that they would only face paltry Ukrainian resistance (boy were they fucking wrong lol).

Why must we posit they were expecting paltry Ukrainian resistance? The Russians are thoroughly informed about Ukrainian capabilities and certainly have very good intelligence on the decision making process in Kiev. Moscow might very well have opted for a limited opening strike while being perfectly aware this would cost them some casualties, which I believe is the more probable hypothesis.

After all the goal of such an operation is not to terrorize the opponent's constituency but on the contrary, to make Russia appear under as benevolent a light as possible. Thus Russia would refrain from operating like the US regime, known for smashing and carpet bombing everything that moves in order to try and ensure zero casualties among their own troops (and then claim they have more regard for human life). The Russian public has a higher threshold of tolerance for casualties than America.

They've absolutely failed to nullify advanced TB2 drones (amongst other assets) which are now hidden all over the place and attacking vulnerable sections of Russias long armored columns.

Significantly, these UAV's have been the single most efficient weapons system in inflicting damage on Russian assets. Whereas the Ukrainian air force failed to achieve anything worth mentioning.

What this goes to confirm, is how smart and clear-sighted Iran's military planning has been, given Iranian focus on drones alongside missiles, rather than much more costly investment in less survivable air power.

In a theoretical war against the US, Iran will be in a position similar to Ukraine versus Russia, i.e. the assumed underdog. Only Iran will be several fold more efficient than Ukraine, which is lacking Iran's BM force, an air defence grid as developed as Iran's etc. All the more so, such a powerful force would wreck havoc on any regional adversary.

It seems as though they've changed pace and are going a more traditional heavy counterforce route in order to achieve battlefield objectives.

This was probably part of the plan from the get go: increase the pressure on Kiev step by step, for so long as they show no willingness to accept Russian ceasefire terms. A good strategy by Russia, one that avoids civilian casualties to a large extent while having a high chance of enabling Moscow to meet its political objectives.

Last edited:
Either its bad equipment or conscripts that don't know how to fire missiles.
Strange. I expected better, kinda looks like the old days for Iran when running tests.

Whether they are cruise missiles or ballistic, maybe they were subjected to electronic warfare? I would imagine the US would want to test some of their electronic devices here in preparation for destabilizing the accuracy of Iran's missiles. or GLONASS is just not good enough to met GPS standards.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom