What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

you see persian gulf missile have only seconds to decide what to do a suicide drone or cruise missile compared to it have all the time in the world. we have land based balistic missile to do that for example we have Fatih-e-Mobin

This example is different compared to the previous video. Here the ROI looks real and not overlaid afterward.

Yet again, I believe the missile is multimodal. IR image processing was successful in this example. Accuracy is like 80-90% depending on the task.

I agree that FPGA has been used for images but for lower level jobs. What do you gain from an FPGA preprocessing in a missile? Time? Accuracy? Do it all within your algorithm.

I watched the video. The fact that the ROI is focused on the ship does not mean guidance is purely image based. The ROI could be overlaid after the acquisition. The way the ROI resizes from 0:15 to 0:16 is like it is overlaid afterward. I don’t think the ROI is computer generated.

I am positive most Iranian missiles are multimodal guidance (Image processing, inertia, GPS) and they combine the data in some way.

Once again if image processing is good enough, let’s have camera-based ATGM and save the life of the Laser guy on the ground.
well Khalij-e-Fars is only EO/IR controlled , Hormoz-2 is Radio anti Radiation and I believe Fatih-e-Mobin can use multiple systems

by the way does not Spike or Type 01 LMAT already can do that

well Khalij-e-Fars is only EO/IR controlled , Hormoz-2 is Radio anti Radiation and I believe Fatih-e-Mobin can use multiple systems

by the way does not Spike or Type 01 LMAT already can do that

If you accept the accuracy of image based guidance, then you can make ATGM too and you can save the life of the guy who emits the Laser.

For Khalij Fars:
Why do you say only IR homing?

Antiradiation is a different ball game with different tracking.

These technologies will continue to mature. I have not been able to find much with regards to the accuracy of the US system, but its safe to say, going forward they will become more accurate. Furthermore, don't focus on this specific US example but the concept of long rang cannons as a whole. The Iraqis tried and failed with that Babylon project. If the issue of accuracy can be solved, then I see this as a highly instrumental addition to Iran.
Guided artillery shells are matured, they can be relied on to hit their targets accurately these days. If they missed, they usually off by 6 feet. They tested where it hit 27 out of 30 targets directly.

who needs accuracy?? it's not a replacement for ballistic missiles but older artillery pieces. even with a CEP of 2 km... it worth it.
When you are shooting artillery pieces, especially 1000 miles away, its going to be off by tens of miles. Obviously it needs to have accuracy to be useful.

It'd be a nice thing to have but you do bring up a really good point. As a feasible (or in this case not feasible) modern military weapon, it is an antiquated idea that performed middling to poorly in the past. I'd imagine the size of said cannon would be smaller then what the Germans had given all the advancements in metallurgy, construction and propellent that would be used in an up-to-date version.

We really shouldn't dwell on it all that much though, Iran doesn't seem to have any plans on building such a cannon as their focus still is missiles but the idea is admittedly alluring since it kind of has that "bad-***" factor to it, you know, big cannons and all that lol. Superficial aesthetics of "strong" military power are often shown off with cannons, so the concept of developing a huge-super longed range one does have its merits if applied correctly.
I know what you mean about the attraction/technological aesthetics of cutting edge ideas related to artillery,one of the most recent being the Metalstorm system,not to mention older concepts like the german ww2 era v3/high pressure pump system with its multi barrels and multiple auxiliary combustion chambers that was intended to reach all the way to london.Plus you also have the very avant-garde derivatives like the sonic cannon and vortex gun.
It would probably make more sense under the circumstances to modernise irans rather aged artillery park as most of that is either from the pahlavi era or the iran-iraq war era and is really starting to show its age.
Another more practical option would be producing a 76mm variant of the iranian basir laser guided shell for the navies 76mm fajr-27 turret guns,as now that the navy has finally gotten serious about drones it would be no problem to have a naval drone designate the target,another advantage is the potential range increases that precision guidance can give you in addition to the accuracy.

I know what you mean about the attraction/technological aesthetics of cutting edge ideas related to artillery,one of the most recent being the Metalstorm system,not to mention older concepts like the german ww2 era v3/high pressure pump system with its multi barrels and multiple auxiliary combustion chambers that was intended to reach all the way to london.Plus you also have the very avant-garde derivatives like the sonic cannon and vortex gun.
It would probably make more sense under the circumstances to modernise irans rather aged artillery park as most of that is either from the pahlavi era or the iran-iraq war era and is really starting to show its age.
Another more practical option would be producing a 76mm variant of the iranian basir laser guided shell for the navies 76mm fajr-27 turret guns,as now that the navy has finally gotten serious about drones it would be no problem to have a naval drone designate the target,another advantage is the potential range increases that precision guidance can give you in addition to the accuracy.

Agreed, if Iran can find the budget to maintain and reasonably upgrade its artillery batteries/units then I'm all game.

I think we will see some sparse projects here and there related to traditional cannon based artillery but for now Iran will just keep on churning-out bigger, better, faster and deadlier missile systems for the time-being. Hopefully we will get to see new cruise-missiles unveiled soon, it'd be nice to get a glimpse at the future of Iranian cruise-missile technology and where it stands now.

Fingers crossed that the rumored supersonic AshCM is real and will be shown off soon!!

Agreed, if Iran can find the budget to maintain and reasonably upgrade its artillery batteries/units then I'm all game.

I think we will see some sparse projects here and there related to traditional cannon based artillery but for now Iran will just keep on churning-out bigger, better, faster and deadlier missile systems for the time-being. Hopefully we will get to see new cruise-missiles unveiled soon, it'd be nice to get a glimpse at the future of Iranian cruise-missile technology and where it stands now.

Fingers crossed that the rumored supersonic AshCM is real and will be shown off soon!!
I totally agree.
As for the AshCM,I`d love to see something like this
The HY-3
HY-3_Anti-ship_missile_20170919.jpg

Or something more advanced like the p-800 onyx
bastionptq_kto-6_njnp.jpg

Supersonic cruise missiles are still the one weapon that iran is clearly lacking in despite the clear need and also having the indigenous capability to produce one.

If you accept the accuracy of image based guidance, then you can make ATGM too and you can save the life of the guy who emits the Laser.

For Khalij Fars:
Why do you say only IR homing?

Antiradiation is a different ball game with different tracking.
Khalij-e-Fars use a caera but that camera as you see in the video work on infrared spectrum

Khalij-e-Fars use a caera but that camera as you see in the video work on infrared spectrum

Regarding ATGM:
As you know we have three types:

1. Manual guidance like a joy stick

2. Line-Of-Sight Laser Beam Riding (LOSBR) or Laser beam guidance, like Kornet

3. Image based guidance or fire-and-forget like Spike

So far, type II has the best accuracy.
With regard to Persian gulf missile:
I think it is multimodal and not just IR homing.
What could the missile do in case the ship makes IR artifacts, ruining the image?
For optical homing you can make a cloud of smoke above the ship.

You cannot be accurate if you do not resolve the counter measures of the ship.

The best is multimodal approach to the target. It is not rocket science and a few good hard working master students can do it.

Last edited:
Guided artillery shells are matured, they can be relied on to hit their targets accurately these days. If they missed, they usually off by 6 feet. They tested where it hit 27 out of 30 targets directly.

Yes, but these are mostly GPS/satellite guided systems. Satellite guidance is not something you can rely on in a major conflict in my opinion. We're discussing internal navigation system that could withstand the extreme g forces.

umm...this is interesting, cuz to me, i've always assumed Iran can put on a good artillery show, if required to. Is Iran's artillery the newest technology? i'm unsure, but is Iran's artillery "effective" or and "standard"relative to regional forces' artillery, then i would say probably. Iran isnt good at having pretty systems, Iran is good at having effective systems.

When you are shooting artillery pieces, especially 1000 miles away, its going to be off by tens of miles. Obviously it needs to have accuracy to be useful.

it’s impossible to fire any shell “1000s of miles”. I mean this is basic physics.

Even Navy’s magical railgun was only 100-200 mile range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom