What's new

Investment Ideas in Pakistan with $65,000 (Rs. 1 Crore)?

I want to start this thread. Not only for myself for others who maybe in the same boat as I am. Want to brainstorm about long term investments in Pakistan with a start seed money of $65,000 (Rs. 1 Crore). Several ideas in mind:
1) Buy property in Islamabad. But I have no relatives there. And @Imran Khan gave me a lot of words of caution about property frauds in Pakistan. I still think that's long term safe bet.
2) Buy/Invest into some hotel business in northern Pakistan hilly areas. Again, don't know anyone there.
3) Start some kind of Savings account in Karachi and let it grow. I hear that interest rates are good in Pakistan. I hear one cousin is living off Rs. 2 Crore invested in a bank.

While life here has been good, America is not a country for the old if you are not rich. Plus the Motherland is often calling me back. No firm plans yet.

I know this is all over the place. But got to start somewhere.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Investing in property is bad idea. Although it will give you easy money but its not productive for the economy. You will indirectly contribute in the skyrocketing of property prices and make it more difficult for poor people to build their own homes.

I would suggest you should invest your in some kind productive work such as agriculture (especially innovative methods like aquaculture, horticulture), smart farming, smart dairy, or invest in tech startups, manufacturing or innovative education etc.

Investing in property is bad idea. Although it will give you easy money but its not productive for the economy. You will indirectly contribute in the skyrocketing of property prices and make it more difficult for poor people to build their own homes.

I would suggest you should invest your in some kind productive work such as agriculture (especially innovative methods like aquaculture, horticulture), smart farming, smart dairy, or invest in tech startups, manufacturing or innovative education etc.

Great ideas!
How come the govt doesn't have initiatives, backed by iron-clad guarantees, for 'sustainable' business investments? Expats like me would love to invest in such areas even if profits are not high as, say, real estate investment. Imagine if many more like me start investing in smart farming? Conservation of water resources is of paramount importance for Pakistan!! Yes, dams are being built but it's a race against time when it comes to the looming water crises facing Pakistan.

That is only possible if you are living in the country or if you have enough money to outsource the work hence real estate is perfectly suitable for @Meengla.

That is only possible if you are living in the country or if you have enough money to outsource the work hence real estate is perfectly suitable for @Meengla.

In December 2019 I went to Pakistan and my nephews took me on a tour of Baharia Town Karachi. It is a very large and impressive real estate project! A property manager took us to a bungalow for sale. He was asking Rs. 13.5 million for that. The nephews said they could sell for Rs. 11 million. I was impressed by the bungalow, though it felt a little strange there was even a servants' quarters included! The agent said it was 'move in' ready and was in NOT in some legally non-contested part of BTK. I have often thought of that visit.

But, I think, @Mujahid Memon hints at above, investment in sustainable agriculture etc is a more worthy cause. For me modest income would be fine. It would be even better if I would be able to invest more and more in the future. As I said, the Rs. 10 million is just for testing the water.

In December 2019 I went to Pakistan and my nephews took me on a tour of Baharia Town Karachi. It is a very large and impressive real estate project! A property manager took us to a bungalow for sale. He was asking Rs. 13.5 million for that. The nephews said they could sell for Rs. 11 million. I was impressed by the bungalow, though it felt a little strange there was even a servants' quarters included! The agent said it was 'move in' ready and was in NOT in some legally non-contested part of BTK. I have often thought of that visit.

But, I think, @Mujahid Memon hints at above, investment in sustainable agriculture etc is a more worthy cause. For me modest income would be fine. It would be even better if I would be able to invest more and more in the future. As I said, the Rs. 10 million is just for testing the water.
Good agricultural lands are extremely expensive and it can be a hurdle handing it unless you lease it but leasing it can be dangerous as you will have to watch out for "qabza group" and profit margins will be low . Livestock can be a suitable business for you if you are willing to spend most of your day in the farm. Forget about livestock unless you are going to be present there.

Last edited:
While life here has been good, America is not a country for the old if you are not rich. Plus the Motherland is often calling me back.

everyone here says get out of this country ASAP and here you are saying you want to come back?

everyone here says get out of this country ASAP and here you are saying you want to come back?
If you have money Pakistan is paradise for you. You have no idea how incredibly difficult life is abroad, especially in Europe and North America. Once one has made money abroad it is wise to return home and live a luxury life then.

I know of at least three relatives who were born and raised in Pakistan, then moved to America in last few years, made some money and moved back and are very happy. I am not saying that's going to be the case for everyone, or even me.

Also, the Pakistan I found in 2019 was a much improved Pakistan from the one I left decades ago. Maybe I looked at Pakistan from a tourist's perspective, which is very different from a resident's perspective. But I saw wonderful motorways, trains running on time with professional staff, long distance bus transportation on time and professionally run, better airports and improved check in process, women more active in public life and indeed even general cleanliness seemed better.

Currently, I have no firm plans. But the idea of living in a country on, say, Rs. 300,000/month assured income with the option to escape harsh winters and summers by traveling north or south, depending on the seasons, enjoying great food, wonderful scenery up north...

I know of at least three relatives who were born and raised in Pakistan, then moved to America in last few years, made some money and moved back and are very happy. I am not saying that's going to be the case for everyone, or even me.

Also, the Pakistan I found in 2019 was a much improved Pakistan from the one I left decades ago. Maybe I looked at Pakistan from a tourist's perspective, which is very different from a resident's perspective. But I saw wonderful motorways, trains running on time with professional staff, long distance bus transportation on time and professionally run, better airports and improved check in process, women more active in public life and indeed even general cleanliness seemed better.

Currently, I have no firm plans. But the idea of living in a country on, say, Rs. 300,000/month assured income with the option to escape harsh winters and summers by traveling north or south, depending on the seasons, enjoying great food, wonderful scenery up north...

Someone I know is currently doing this. This may serve what you are trying to do. He has a bunch of short term rental properties all over the US. He has hired a team out of Pakistan to manage these properties. They manage everything from listings to bookings to customer interaction and responses to even calling handymen and contractors. This way, you can keep your investments in the US and provide employment to people in Pakistan who can do all this from their own homes there.

I want to start this thread. Not only for myself for others who maybe in the same boat as I am. Want to brainstorm about long term investments in Pakistan with a start seed money of $65,000 (Rs. 1 Crore). Several ideas in mind:
1) Buy property in Islamabad. But I have no relatives there. And @Imran Khan gave me a lot of words of caution about property frauds in Pakistan. I still think that's long term safe bet.
2) Buy/Invest into some hotel business in northern Pakistan hilly areas. Again, don't know anyone there.
3) Start some kind of Savings account in Karachi and let it grow. I hear that interest rates are good in Pakistan. I hear one cousin is living off Rs. 2 Crore invested in a bank.

While life here has been good, America is not a country for the old if you are not rich. Plus the Motherland is often calling me back. No firm plans yet.

I know this is all over the place. But got to start somewhere.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance!
There is a place in islamabad called golra morh. May there you find something with 1 cror Pakistani rupees.

sounds like a nice plan good luck!
even general cleanliness seemed better.

only in big cities i guess i don't see any cleanliness in my area garbage collector used to visit 3 times a week now if lucky once a week but then again old area from the time of partition or even before so what i can say

sounds like a nice plan good luck!

only in big cities i guess i don't see any cleanliness in my area garbage collector used to visit 3 times a week now if lucky once a week but then again old area from the time of partition or even before so what i can say
Where do you live?

As the title says, there are surely many opportunities available here in Pakistan like Bahria town. I have gone through an ad that was about flat for sale in karachi. The project is sohni saiban and as I have researched well and this project has some luxurious amenities. The price plan is updated and very much legitimate. I need some suggestions, as I am thinking to invest. Share your valuable thoughts.

As the title says, there are surely many opportunities available here in Pakistan like Bahria town. I have gone through an ad that was about flat for sale in karachi. The project is sohni saiban and as I have researched well and this project has some luxurious amenities. The price plan is updated and very much legitimate. I need some suggestions, as I am thinking to invest. Share your valuable thoughts.
I have never bought flats so I can't guide you much but I have lived in flats for 15 years in KSA. In my humble opinion you shouldn't pay too much attention to flats unless you plan on living in it. Bahria Town Karachi is truly wonderful and no one can deny that; however, you will have to be cautious as Bahria Town was involved in stealing land and supreme court took action. Some of areas are trouble free but some are still plagued by this issue. Due to my lack of information I shall not talk more about Bahria Town Karachi anymore.
Do you live in Pakistan? What kind of property are you looking for? Do you mind sharing your budget?

Honestly speaking, If you care about your hard earned money, I’d suggest you keep it in the states. However, if you want to it to be distributed amongst the corrupt institutions and fraud people you are most welcome to bring it to Pakistan. I’m sure you will find hundreds if not thousands of people with some new idea or scheme.

Back
Top Bottom