What's new

Investment Ideas in Pakistan with $65,000 (Rs. 1 Crore)?

I would suggest you not to trust anyone here with you money, in any sector. The only way you can invest if you are physically present here and deal with everything yourself.

Can't you buy some stocks in USA?Would be a better idea dealing there than 1000 miles away.

Excellent advice....

Stay away from investing in pakistan and DO NOT TRUST YOUR RELATIVEs.

We have just had 2 murders in the family over land with no value. Sick people
Much bitter experience being shared here.

I won't suggest real estate business. Rather go for a business which have strong export potential. Like cattle/meat/poultry or a factory or dairy. Something that you can get income in foreign currency so that you don't have to deal with one of the worst performing and highly unstable PKR currency. Hire a manager who take care of everything and supervises and manages your business. This way you will create multiple jobs and earn even prayers. Not to mention the foreign currency will be helping your motherland as well.

Thank you. Thoughtful.
Firstly, about real estate. I have bought and sold real estate in America. Top of my head: At least 9 real estate 'Closing' done. The experience was super safe, reliable, and easy. A lot could be done online via DocuSign (incidentally, I can be a DocuSign API programmer...). But I have decided to move on from real estate. Twice burned because of my own follies. Besides, I am reducing my footprint in America.

Secondly, my priority would be to have at least $65,000 out of here to Pakistan. I am being generous to people here. But can't forget the people in the Motherland, should something happen to me. All eggs are in one basket right now. I have conveyed to my family recently to expect a chunk of $$ their way in case of Covid affecting me.

As to your post--I think problem is in the execution. Where to begin? From reading about the business practices in Pakistan, looks like fraud and swindling is rampant! That Pakistan is so hard to safely invest for a born and raised expat is a disappointing eye opener to me.

Bhaijans! I do have some invested in USA and they, along with Social Security, will start bringing some assured money upon retirement. And I am no 'Chacha'--still too young to retire right now. Anyway, if in today's terms, one person can live comfortably off Rs. 200,000/month in Pakistan then I will have that from just the retirement/pension alone. Yes, the more the merrier but I don't want to stress out about investment or running a business hands-down. As you can see--short of a major health crisis--there is comfortable retirement in Pakistan on the retirement income alone, so why bother? Enjoy life now.

But I admit that I don't think I have a clear idea about the future. But long term I see going back to Pakistan. Some of my relatives have done that--went back to Pakistan upon retirement, taking their money. Living a decent life--though they don't have the imagination to escape the nasty dirty hot Karachi even during summers. I know, I am being judgmental here but I am not like them.

Also, I did try to invest a few months ago here through some managed account-- @Nilgiri and @PakFactor know that. But I chickened out.

Anyway, with going back to Pakistan as a possible eventuality and also I want to make sure if something were to happen to me then at least some $$ ends up in Pakistan, for Pakistan, through my family there.

This discussion is not just about money or investment. But also finding some idealized life. About really trying to help the Motherland which gave me almost free education through the university level. We are all different in our life situations. Look at my signature. But I do know that none of my choices are likely lead to dead ends.

To answer someone above: I am a software engineer with a Masters from an American university. Fairly successful, though I have lived like Americans: Earn and spend, but in a responsible way.

Yup my parents are basically almost fully retired/moved to India now (after spending much time outside where yours truly was brought up mostly - HK+singapore).

Their purchasing power of savings is much much higher there and they much enjoy to be around their family and culture there etc.... lot of day to day conveniences compared to outside of India...and they picked safe and nice enough area. They did plenty of scoping out and vetting etc first though.

I am sure its similar in Pakistan for retiring.

As for your OP post, 65 grand you can go a few routes:

1) Research some vetted groups that monitor good sound startup/fledgling companies, and infuse the capital there....Pak is still very capital and credit starved in lot of sectors, it should be sellers market for you. You will also help business grow in Pakistan which will grow employment and skills etc. Many years back, for example....my mom invested bunch of her earnings into papad village industry groups (and they do other food processing)...and they are all flourishing and giving good employment to women in these villages. Some of the women have now progressed to starting their own business too. So its best to do some research where your seed money will have most long term carry to help others. We use our business contacts to also help them find buyers for their craft industries etc....my dad did lot of this....also helped indian startups do business networking early.

2) Charity/social improvement group. Edhi foundation kind of thing....you are basically donating (no finance return) but you get peace of mind that its being commited to helping the needy fully. My dad prefer this route latly, he does lot through temple trusts and things like that.

Overall my family goes about 50/50 split on 1) and 2). But always check how trustworthy everyone is etc...whats the proven track record of the groups you cooperate with etc.

3) Very similar to (1) ....FPI and venture capital on E-industries and stocks....thats my route, but it needs training, time and experience to do right. It can give great returns and allies itself well to less time available for ground based side of it. Benefits accrue again to higher order businesses and such the social benefit again comes through their employment growth etc.

you better invest in USA then i cant see you loss money and complain here after few years sir :P why you want to invest in a country which is far away and hard to maintain your investment . hotel line is not easy as i know .

yesterday one of my friend call me he was mad told me he want to sale his patrol station and want some peace of mind its worth 5-6 crores but low profit too much mess . he need 5-6 lakhs per month but with peace of mind . its not easy to do business in paksitan .

i fear you will end up lost these 65000 and then relaxed in USA :(

he is in USA and he will stay in USA this is the problem if he was local then we have 1 million ideas for him he may invest adn go back after a month then tell me hotel se ye kisi bhi kam se inko peechy se log profit bhegy gay apny imaan se batay ? yahan log saky bhai baap ka maal kha jaty hain jo bahir ke mulk ho :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:
Even a cattle farming/poultry /meat exporting business is great. Gulf market is next door and India is the only country in the neighborhood taking benefit of it even though they will kill their citizen for eating beef or meat.

It will not only create jobs, but op can earn foreign currency instead of Pakistani currency which is very unstable.

@Meengla
You know iran has no life stock industry. They import meat. I think same case in afghanistan. Yeah u got huge potential in live stock.

In between 20 to 30 m pkr
Despite being a modern DHA phase, phase 10 has 2 major problems that other modern phases lack. Phase 10 doesn't have underground wiring like phase 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. But it has another problem much bigger than this which is "ganda nala". Whenever it will be windy almost the whole phase will smell like shit. Only the area with 1 kanal plots is unaffected by this problem. I will recommend you to buy a plot in phase 8 and try buy only 1 kanal plot/plots as they sell the best in DHA. Phase 8 will be the greatest DHA phase ever, it will have huge commercial activities due to many malls, office towers and most importantly its fantastic location. DHA seems to be heavily focused on phase 8 right now, more than 6, 7 and 9. As for phase 9 it is good too but it will take a lot of time for development, regardless it is a great place to invest but you will need a lot of patience. As for phase 6 it is good but overpriced. As for 7 it is good too but the development pace is very slow as DHA is heavily focused on phase 8.

V nice assessment ,I have seen that ganda Nala many times it's a real embarrassment to live near it , the extension made on the other side of that Nala with lot of flats made in it seems to be overcrowded when fully inhabited,

Thank you. Thoughtful.
Firstly, about real estate. I have bought and sold real estate in America. Top of my head: At least 9 real estate 'Closing' done. The experience was super safe, reliable, and easy. A lot could be done online via DocuSign (incidentally, I can be a DocuSign API programmer...). But I have decided to move on from real estate. Twice burned because of my own follies. Besides, I am reducing my footprint in America.

Secondly, my priority would be to have at least $65,000 out of here to Pakistan. I am being generous to people here. But can't forget the people in the Motherland, should something happen to me. All eggs are in one basket right now. I have conveyed to my family recently to expect a chunk of $$ their way in case of Covid affecting me.

As to your post--I think problem is in the execution. Where to begin? From reading about the business practices in Pakistan, looks like fraud and swindling is rampant! That Pakistan is so hard to safely invest for a born and raised expat is a disappointing eye opener to me.
The Housing societies which are run by the military have no fraud and they are the best for expats, these societies include DHA, Fazaia Housing Scheme, Naval Anchorage, Askari and Cantt. They are some other institutions that are also safe to invest in and two of them are Gulberg Greens and Gulberg Residencia. Both are run by Intelligence Bureau, a civilian intelligence agency in Pakistan. Both Gulberg Greens and Gulberg Residencia are built alongside each other and are connected by road so they can be considered single housing society. You should seriously consider investing there due to its incredible location and development. Telenor has even constructed their HQ in Gulberg Greens.

V nice assessment ,I have seen that ganda Nala many times it's a real embarrassment to live near it , the extension made on the other side of that Nala with lot of flats made in it seems to be overcrowded when fully inhabited,
In the future DHA may do something about it but for now this remains a problem. You have to understand the philosophy of DHA. DHA doesn't develop all the phases at the same pace, there prioritize the development of each phase on the basis of commercial and residential activity in that particular phase. DHA phase 8 has an incredibly good location due to which it will attract huge commercial activity which is why they are so focused on it.

Thank you. Thoughtful.

Yes fraud is rampant there but rear estate is similar or worst. Especially if you have no one to take care of. Service sectors and restaurant is only viable if you have any experience but again that will only circulate local currency. Which will not really help the country. If you really wanna grow and help your country then my suggestion is business which have export potential. Gulf and Middle East have big demand for meat, milk /dairy products. Therefore the safest, easiest and most helpful business is cattle /poultry business with keeping export as the only source of income.

Exporting will also avoid your local rivalary with other business as they won't see you as their competitor.

How to execute - I'm not too sure but I don't think it's that hard of a deal. Start small and grow it up from there. I guess someone with enough knowledge can help you with that part.

Despite being a modern DHA phase, phase 10 has 2 major problems that other modern phases lack. Phase 10 doesn't have underground wiring like phase 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. But it has another problem much bigger than this which is "ganda nala". Whenever it will be windy almost the whole phase will smell like shit. Only the area with 1 kanal plots is unaffected by this problem. I will recommend you to buy a plot in phase 8 and try buy only 1 kanal plot/plots as they sell the best in DHA. Phase 8 will be the greatest DHA phase ever, it will have huge commercial activities due to many malls, office towers and most importantly its fantastic location. DHA seems to be heavily focused on phase 8 right now, more than 6, 7 and 9. As for phase 9 it is good too but it will take a lot of time for development, regardless it is a great place to invest but you will need a lot of patience. As for phase 6 it is good but overpriced. As for 7 it is good too but the development pace is very slow as DHA is heavily focused on phase 8.
wow ganda naala its mean free time someone can go fishing there :rofl:

If you really wanna grow and help your country then my suggestion is business which have export potential. Gulf and Middle East have big demand for meat, milk /dairy products. Therefore the safest, easiest and most helpful business is cattle /poultry business with keeping export as the only source of income.

Thank you. And thanks to others above who have suggested DHA real estate as good options.
But what about tourism sector? Say hotel along major tourism routes? Or even restaurants? Are there not people with good business experience in hospitality industry but can't grow because of lack of capital? There should be some forum for them to seek venture capital? The tourism sector in Pakistan has immense potentials.

PS. The yearning to go back to the Motherland is not so strange. Only yesterday I met a friend from Eastern Europe who, after living here for over two decades, wants to go back. To him the relative poverty there is better than the drudgery here.

Thank you. And thanks to others above who have suggested DHA real estate as good options.
But what about tourism sector? Say hotel along major tourism routes? Or even restaurants? Are there not people with good business experience in hospitality industry but can't grow because of lack of capital? There should be some forum for them to seek venture capital? The tourism sector in Pakistan has immense potentials.

PS. The yearning to go back to the Motherland is not so strange. Only yesterday I met a friend from Eastern Europe who, after living here for over two decades, wants to go back. To him the relative poverty there is better than the drudgery here.
Hotel industry is mostly feasible in the north. But locals in the north don't have much opportunities but this. So it won't help them. But yes listen to all but do what you think is feasible and better for you.

Go with dha or bahria town on ground real estate

Back
Top Bottom