What's new

India's best & brightest students dominate the world ranking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
50% is a lot of people mind you, 600 million. So India does have the language advantage. On the other hand, you ll be lucky to find someone proficient in English outside the major cities of China.

I don't think India conducts the test or has any say in the matter(being a non OECD state), the tests are conducted by OECD.

Besides this was the first time, they might conduct the test in respective mother tongue"s" in the 2012 test. It will be a nightmare for the people who conduct the test though, as they d have to make the test in at least 10-15 different languages.

I have been to China many times and it's indeed difficult to find someone really proficient in English, even in major cities like Shanghai. But then again, the same is here in Germany and most other EU countries. Most Germans, French and South Europeans don't speak English at all, even after at least five years of mandatory English class at school. So, I was wondering what advantage India has just because of English. We are doing quite well without being fluent in English.

In the EU the tests are done in 28 languages. So, there shouldn't be any problems to do that in India.

Both China and India were chozen as the first-time participants of PISA in 2009, albeit only focused on some key regions of the two countries. Shanghai Metro tops global league table on all 3 categories. OECD also noted that in about 7 or 8 other provinces tested in China (results to be released soon), the scores were similar to Shanghai ( all well above OECD mean) despite of the fact that these provinces are much less developed than SH, some of them even "relatively improverished" in the words of OECD spokeman, Schneider is his name I guess.

Do you have any source on this? As far as I know these are all the tests PISA has ever conducted.
PISA 2000: 43 countries/economies participated in the assessment.
PISA 2003: 41 countries/economies participated in the assessment.
PISA 2006: 57 countries/economies participated in the assessment.
PISA 2009 : 65 countries/economies participatied in the assessment in 2009. A further 10 carried out the same assessment in 2010.Click here

So I don't know where you got that story from. Although I did find a remark from a different Mark Schneider? about China.

Mark Schneider, a commissioner of the Department of Education’s research arm in the George W. Bush administration, who returned from an educational research visit to China on Friday, said he had been skeptical about some PISA results in the past. But Mr. Schneider said he considered the accuracy of these results to be unassailable.

“The technical side of this was well regulated, the sampling was O.K., and there was no evidence of cheating,” he said.

Mr. Schneider, however, noted some factors that may have influenced the outcome.

For one thing, Shanghai is a huge migration hub within China. Students are supposed to return to their home provinces to attend high school, but the Shanghai authorities could increase scores by allowing stellar students to stay in the city, he said. And Shanghai students apparently were told the test was important for China’s image and thus were more motivated to do well, he said.

“Can you imagine the reaction if we told the students of Chicago that the PISA was an important international test and that America’s reputation depended on them performing well?” Mr. Schneider said. “That said, China is taking education very seriously. The work ethic is amazingly strong.”

China, Hong Kong and Singapore... all Chinese-majority places. :P

It is the parents I think. Chinese parents can be really crazy when it comes to their children's educations.

Götterdämmerung;2400048 said:
I have been to China many times and it's indeed difficult to find someone really proficient in English, even in major cities like Shanghai. But then again, the same is here in Germany and most other EU countries. Most Germans, French and South Europeans don't speak English at all, even after at least five years of mandatory English class at school. So, I was wondering what advantage India has just because of English. We are doing quite well without being fluent in English.

In the EU the tests are done in 28 languages. So, there shouldn't be any problems to do that in India.

There is no advantage "just" because of English. It just helps.

IQ testing
25-08-2010

Chinese IQ = 105
Indian IQ = 78

Chinese their average IQ is high.
Indians score BELOW the Western average on IQ

» Israel, India, China and IQ - Blogger News Network
AverageIQ-Map-World.png

lol
this one shows different data:
Title
800px-IQ_by_Country.png

which is different than tis one:
World map of National IQ Scores vs Average Penis Size by Country - TargetMap
this one is excellent: it shows the correlation between the penis size and the IQ :rofl:

There is no advantage "just" because of English. It just helps.

Of course it helps, my English has helped me a lot in my career, but most people I know are doing equally well without any command of English. I'm sure most millionaires in China don't speak a word English as well.

Unlike China, Germany's internal market is the size of a Chinese province. We rely much more on export than most countries in the world and still, te command of English would be useful, but not so much as we have to depend on it.

Götterdämmerung;2400101 said:
Of course it helps, my English has helped me a lot in my career, but most people I know are doing equally well without any command of English. I'm sure most millionaires in China don't speak a word English as well.

Unlike China, Germany's internal market is the size of a Chinese province. We rely much more on export than most countries in the world and still, te command of English would be useful, but not so much as we have to depend on it.

I don't think India "depends" on English either. Outsourcing is probably the only industry where India benefited from English. Most of the Germans that I have met speak pretty good English though.

You can't compare India and technological superpower like Germany. India practically was stunted and shunted in the 19th and first half of 20th century under the Britishers, while the Europeans and Americans were undergoing Industrial Revolution.

The Marxist historian Rajani Palme Dutt said: "The capital to finance the Industrial Revolution in India instead went into financing the Industrial Revolution in England."

So yeah thats that. It will take India at least another 50 years to catch up. But we have the numbers in the meantime, even if 10% of the Indians are bright and smart that should be good enough to keep things moving and compete on the world stage.

I don't think India "depends" on English either. Outsourcing is probably the only industry where India benefited from English. Most of the Germans that I have met speak pretty good English though.

You can't compare India and technological superpower like Germany. India practically was stunted and shunted in the 19th and first half of 20th century under the Britishers, while the Europeans and Americans were undergoing Industrial Revolution.

The Marxist historian Rajani Palme Dutt said: "The capital to finance the Industrial Revolution in India instead went into financing the Industrial Revolution in England."

So yeah thats that. It will take India at least another 50 years to catch up. But we have the numbers in the meantime, even if 10% of the Indians are bright and smart that should be good enough to keep things moving and compete on the world stage.

The Germans you met are amongst the best educated in Germany, they tend to be more cosmopolitan and travel a lot as well. But come to Germany and go to the supermarket or department store in a second tier city or outside the centre in major cities and see how far you will go with English.

Yeah, I know how we European powers looted the world, but that part of the history is rarely mentionned in our education. It's part of our brainwashing.

India and China indeed have to numbers, but I still think to make a modern society functioning well, one needs an acceptably well educated population. Any illiterate person is a danger to society.

Do you really believe in these rankings? If such was the case then why 35% of scientists in NASA are Indians? :wave:

Get a life loser and stop trolling :blah:

awwwwwww another poor brainwashed bharti :cry: I feel sad for bhartis....

35% Scientists blah blah is a hoax

Almost all senior Indian members also accept that...Sad that you live in a country named bhart..where you are brainwashed and when you come to international forums....your buble get busted..

Oh by the way, you are a rising super power too :lol:

IQ testing
20-08-2010

Chinese IQ = 105
Indian IQ = 78

Chinese their average IQ is high.
Indians score BELOW the Western average on IQ

» Israel, India, China and IQ - Blogger News Network

I don't know from where these people measure IQ's of Indians. Even it is surprising to know that Jews score lower than Westerners on IQ tests, where as almost 30 to 40% of Nobel Prize winners are Jews, and I can say from my experience that Indians are some of the sharpest brains I have seen in the business, even westerners agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom