What's new

Indian Navy in talks with france for 2 mistral Class LHD Ships

India today took a major step towards upgrading its Navy's maritime air reconnaissance capability and amphibious warfare strength by deciding to order four each of P8I Poseidon aircraft and Landing Pontoon Docks (LPDs) totally worth over USD 5 billion.

The four P8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft will be an add-on to the eight that India ordered from the US in January 2009 for USD 2.1 billion or nearly Rs 10,000 crore. These four aircraft from the US aerospace major Boeing's stable would cost India about USD 1 billion (less than Rs 5,000 crore).

The four LPDs, on the lines of INS Jalashwa that India bought from the US for USD 50 million in 2007, would come at a cost of Rs 16,000 crore and a global tender would be issued for its under the Defence Ministry's 'Buy and Make' production policy. Under this, India would make the warships through license from a foreign firm.

here is source

Ships are to be built in India under a ToT
Nno off the shelf

India today took a major step towards upgrading its Navy's maritime air reconnaissance capability and amphibious warfare strength by deciding to order four each of P8I Poseidon aircraft and Landing Pontoon Docks (LPDs) totally worth over USD 5 billion.

The four P8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft will be an add-on to the eight that India ordered from the US in January 2009 for USD 2.1 billion or nearly Rs 10,000 crore. These four aircraft from the US aerospace major Boeing's stable would cost India about USD 1 billion (less than Rs 5,000 crore).

The four LPDs, on the lines of INS Jalashwa that India bought from the US for USD 50 million in 2007, would come at a cost of Rs 16,000 crore and a global tender would be issued for its under the Defence Ministry's 'Buy and Make' production policy. Under this, India would make the warships through license from a foreign firm.

here is source

Nno off the shelf
Your source also says that license production in India will happen.

Your source also says that license production in India will happen.
Yes source was old whe tender was issued but indian navy changed the mind they buy them off the shelf other2 might be built in india
What difference it make india is getting them anyway

Pakkstan just has to buildup it’s A2AD capabilities, namely Hypersonic glider equipped Anti-Ship Ballistic missiles as well as IM/EW capabilities.

I. Hope @Imran Khan put some light or sense in it
Pakkstan just has to buildup it’s A2AD capabilities, namely Hypersonic glider equipped Anti-Ship Ballistic missiles as well as IM/EW capabilities.
Yes but we should buy bigger ships to house them in bigger vls corvetes frigates wont do it
we wasted lot of money on corvetes let marines use these smaller ships

I. Hope @Imran Khan put some light or sense in it

Yes but we should buy bigger ships to house them in bigger vls corvetes frigates wont do it
we wasted lot of money on corvetes let marines use these smaller ships
Small boats (armed with Anti-ship ballistic missiles) have a place if they are paired with a sensor network that will allow them to play to their strengths. Similar to the Taiwan “Porcupine” strategy.

Indian Navy recently issued a tender for 4 LPDs, not 2. If Mistral is selected, it will be for 4 ships I think.

Last edited:
Their focus is landing a force near Karachi after beating through the A2/AD systems. Their plans aren’t flawed but their execution is.
Once they fix the execution aspect which requires a cultural change then Pakistan is done for.
Thank God the PN is the most open-minded and progressive thinking force. Good call on their part to pursue shallow-water attack subs (SWATS) to help deter enemy amphibious operations. I wish the PN got the budget to upgrade the Marines into a true combined arms force (@Signalian) -- e.g., IFVs, AFVs, ATGMs, attack helicopters, assault helicopters, and a dedicated PAF CAS unit.

Their focus is landing a force near Karachi after beating through the A2/AD systems. Their plans aren’t flawed but their execution is.
Once they fix the execution aspect which requires a cultural change then Pakistan is done for.
Sir darain tuo na

Hope for better future
Thank God the PN is the most open-minded and progressive thinking force. Good call on their part to pursue shallow-water attack subs (SWATS) to help deter enemy amphibious operations. I wish the PN got the budget to upgrade the Marines into a true combined arms force (@Signalian) -- e.g., IFVs, AFVs, ATGMs, attack helicopters, assault helicopters, and a dedicated PAF CAS unit.
Agreed bro mrines need more focus
Indian Navy recently issued a tender for 4 LPDs, not 2. If Mistral is selected, it will be for 4 ships I think.
Yes but they will initially buy two than later build two in india

Once they fix the execution aspect which requires a cultural change that's a tough task to accomplish, anyways India was looking for helicopter carriers for sometimes and these would not be a bad addition to their arsenal.
This makes no sense - surely India would not buy this class of ship - but design and build herself - given that she can now build destroyers and Aircraft carriers

Does seem to go against the "make in india" for something that they have the capability to build...

(corrections above).
they can only make them at home if France would agree to TOT.

Which is why I cite execution as being key. At the end if it is a very simplistic equation of planning x resources x execution then its
P x R x E

India will have the advantages in R throughout so the only way Pakistan beats that equation is P&E

Mistral is LHD, not LPD.

LPD (071 class)
IMG_20211123_070853.jpg

LHD
(075 class)
IMG_20211123_070755.jpg

(Mistral class)
IMG_20211123_071114.jpg

Last edited:
Mistral is LHD, not LPD.

LPD (071 class)
View attachment 796098

LHD
(075 class)
View attachment 796099
(Mistral class)
View attachment 796100
Yes, but IN is looking at Mistral to satisfy the LPD tender.

Back
Top Bottom