What's new

India to open sixth air base in Rajasthan, 100 km from Pakistan

This move supports the cold start war doctrine of Indian Armed forces, if ever needed .. Keep it coming

Live long and prosper ... \\//

This been a long due.Better late than never.

During these days,IAF bases have been provided multi-ties Air defence. Unless you are using artillery in salvos, it will be waste of resources using cruise/tactical BMs given the bases will get both ABM and other air defences.

IAF is extending its Akash order to 15 squads.Which is ofcourse a pretty good news.But at the same time Akash system is getting upgrades.

I have no doubt that this AFB will be used as a forward landing base for AWACS. While hovering near the base ,Phalcon can scan a significant part of pakistan. there will be aerostat radars provided for such forward bases. LCA MKII ( for air defence)might be stationed here along with Jags(for deep penetration strikes).

Aim 2 more baburs in that direction.

This is not related to your banter with the member.

I was wondering how effective cruise missile (with conventional warhead) are against airfields?
To make field un-operative for extended duration, how many missiles will be required?
This assume that missile is successful. Means it hits the target.
Can some knowledgble member ans?

This is not related to your banter with the member.

I was wondering how effective cruise missile (with conventional warhead) are against airfields?
To make field un-operative for extended duration, how many missiles will be required?
This assume that missile is successful. Means it hits the target.
Can some knowledgble member ans?

Curise missiles are not actually meant for runway denial. conventional ones are meant for taking out command and control centers, arms depots, fuel dumps, ityadhi...... but not run ways or huge mil bases.

Cruise missiles,given their small payloads can be a good use for nuclear attack-if not intercepted by enemy(considering their sub-sonic ranges,which can even be intercepted by a chasing aircraft with its AAM)

But cruise missiles like supersonic brahmos and hypersonic shourya are a different world.Brahmos is only conventional while shourya is dual purpose.

IAF will use brahmos (the recently placed order) at its border bases of both pak and china. for example the brahmos launched from the new IAF base can strike 2 pakistani bases without being intercepted by SAMs.But pakistan dont have that luxury with their subsonic cruise missiles.

IAF will more likely use its prithvi tactical BM for runway denial.Primary thing is pak dont have ABM capability to intercept prithvi.And prithvis accuracy and purpose designed warheads are a best bet.

OTOH,if a CM is used against a runway,it can be repaired in couple of hours.But one has to look at the aircraft IAF is basing at these forward bases. These can take off and land on semi prepared runways as well .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How easy or difficult is to land an aircraft on highways??? I was going through a thread that talked about PAF practicing landing on Highways in case runways are damged...My question is can we take off from highways as well(if we can land then i believe we can take off as well)???

So apart from danger of parking aircrafts out in open(in case highways) and making operations as well as maintenance difficult for the crew what other damamge can be done if you lets say take off runways??? Second question would be for how long a runway can be damaged if there is a succesful brahmos attack on it???

Curise missiles are not actually meant for runway denial. conventional ones are meant for taking out command and control centers, arms depots, fuel dumps, ityadhi...... but not run ways or huge mil bases.

Cruise missiles,given their small payloads can be a good use for nuclear attack-if not intercepted by enemy(considering their sub-sonic ranges,which can even be intercepted by a chasing aircraft with its AAM)
As I said, lets discuss the conventional weapon load. If we talk nuclear than it changes all factors in eqn.
But cruise missiles like supersonic brahmos and hypersonic shourya are a different world.Brahmos is only conventional while shourya is dual purpose.

IAF will use brahmos (the recently placed order) at its border bases of both pak and china. for example the brahmos launched from the new IAF base can strike 2 pakistani bases without being intercepted by SAMs.But pakistan dont have that luxury with their subsonic cruise missiles.

IAF will more likely use its prithvi tactical BM for runway denial.Primary thing is pak dont have ABM capability to intercept prithvi.And prithvis accuracy and purpose designed warheads are a best bet.

OTOH,if a CM is used against a runway,it can be repaired in couple of hours.But one has to look at the aircraft IAF is basing at these forward bases. These can take off and land on semi prepared runways as well .

Well lets talk in general terms. I was thinking is its possible to make direct hit at runway. Even if it makes direct hit, how much damage can it make? Also, airbase has lot of other potential target. Ammo storage, Oil storage, C&C, Jets etc. This made me wonder if CM or even BM with conventional weapon will make much impact on the any airbase.
deckingraj--
How easy or difficult is to land an aircraft on highways??? I was going through a thread that talked about PAF practicing landing on Highways in case runways are damged...My question is can we take off from highways as well(if we can land then i believe we can take off as well)???

So apart from danger of parking aircrafts out in open(in case highways) and making operations as well as maintenance difficult for the crew what other damamge can be done if you lets say take off runways??? Second question would be for how long a runway can be damaged if there is a succesful brahmos attack on it???

Using Motorway as runway is useful if you have all the auxaliry items avilable. Otherwise they can used for only landing the aircraft in case of emergency. If you land the jet at motorway, how you will re-fuel them, re-arm them? How to protect them with enemy attack. You need to have connectivity between airbase and motorway which is possible in small country like Singapore or Taiwan only.

Jaipur-mapbig.jpg

One day, it will be happened.:victory::chilli::victory:

As I said, lets discuss the conventional weapon load. If we talk nuclear than it changes all factors in eqn.

Well lets talk in general terms. I was thinking is its possible to make direct hit at runway. Even if it makes direct hit, how much damage can it make? Also, airbase has lot of other potential target. Ammo storage, Oil storage, C&C, Jets etc. This made me wonder if CM or even BM with conventional weapon will make much impact on the any airbase.

Using Motorway as runway is useful if you have all the auxaliry items avilable. Otherwise they can used for only landing the aircraft in case of emergency. If you land the jet at motorway, how you will re-fuel them, re-arm them? How to protect them with enemy attack. You need to have connectivity between airbase and motorway which is possible in small country like Singapore or Taiwan only.

As I said before ,CM with conventional warheads are not worth for runway bombing. It is similar to using artillery.but here you are using a much costly artillery with long ranges.

To take out runways, you need so many individual munitions instead of a single large warhead.And the size and capability of a CM limits this usage unlike BMs.

Yes conventional CMs can be used to take out hangers,fuel dumps, CC centers,..... But you need saturation strikes to achieve these objectives because AFB usually get multi layer air defence. And a sub-sonic CM like babur/raad??? no way they can evade the first line defence itself.

Actually usage of weapons is doctrine oriented and also depends on adversary capabilities. In indo-pak case the usage of BM can be mis-interpreted there by putting pressure on pressing the RED button.

Hence both IA and IAF will be using more of long range artillery and CMs.

In the pakistan case,it has no obligations.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Using motor ways is not a big deal these days. But it has to be applied doctrinally,cause the resources need to be dispersed to pre-determined locations. It is all about ones aircraft capabilities and the landing gear and engine capabilities to run in such environment.

IAF has so many bases away from border where pak cant strike without being shot.Hence IAF is not desperate to exercise such an option.But considering pak which has all bases with in the brahmos and prithvi reach,it has to scramble for other options.

How long a runway can be damaged? It is an hypothetical scenario which depends on the capabilities of pak to repair the damaged runways.it depends on their civil engineering skills.hope you got your answer.

Back
Top Bottom