What's new

India to open sixth air base in Rajasthan, 100 km from Pakistan

we have motorway all the way from Peshawer to Lahore, and out fighters can land there in case of need.

Using motor ways is not a big deal these days. But it has to be applied doctrinally,cause the resources need to be dispersed to pre-determined locations. It is all about ones aircraft capabilities and the landing gear and engine capabilities to run in such environment.

IAF has so many bases away from border where pak cant strike without being shot.Hence IAF is not desperate to exercise such an option.But considering pak which has all bases with in the brahmos and prithvi reach,it has to scramble for other options.

How long a runway can be damaged? It is an hypothetical scenario which depends on the capabilities of pak to repair the damaged runways.it depends on their civil engineering skills.hope you got your answer.

Thanks for answering this....All i am wondering is if in today's world damaging runways is still as lucrative mission as it used to be in past....In other words when shall we call a mission successful as far as damaging runways is concerned...I guess the theory is to damage runway so that enemy fighters gets paralyzed and you can carry on with your mission unhindered.....However if this damage is effective only for few hours then how effective is it going to be?? For example our MKI can operate even on semi-prepared runway so how fruitful would it be for PAF to use Babur/BM/F16 to attack and try to damage our runways???

Thanks for answering this....All i am wondering is if in today's world damaging runways is still as lucrative mission as it used to be in past....In other words when shall we call a mission successful as far as damaging runways is concerned...I guess the theory is to damage runway so that enemy fighters gets paralyzed and you can carry on with your mission unhindered.....However if this damage is effective only for few hours then how effective is it going to be?? For example our MKI can operate even on semi-prepared runway so how fruitful would it be for PAF to use Babur/BM/F16 to attack and try to damage our runways???

Fortunately PAK dont have the luxury to get IAF scrambled for options.IAF bases were spread all over the country and it mandates the use of civilian airports during war times just like IAF can get access to Indian airlines.

PAK given its geographical nature will need different options to exercise.Like take off and landing from semi prepared runways and motor ways.But PAK is not going to exercise the abose said.It will be moving sufficient fighters to a foreign friendly base to do a nuclear strike at the worst case scenario.Hence the need of refuellers .

And the strike aircraft like MKI and M2K ,PAKFA,MRCA wont be based on these western borders during war times. THese long strike ones move into central airfields while the air defence aircraft move to the forward bases.AFAIK,IAF took 40 min to bring a bombed runway back into operation in an exercise. If you are talking about the Pak CMs? then I assure you to go and sleep peacefully provided the multi-tier air defence net at AFBs.

If its china? then it will be totally a different game with different appraoch.

Fortunately PAK dont have the luxury to get IAF scrambled for options.IAF bases were spread all over the country and it mandates the use of civilian airports during war times just like IAF can get access to Indian airlines.

PAK given its geographical nature will need different options to exercise.Like take off and landing from semi prepared runways and motor ways.But PAK is not going to exercise the abose said.It will be moving sufficient fighters to a foreign friendly base to do a nuclear strike at the worst case scenario.Hence the need of refuellers .

And the strike aircraft like MKI and M2K ,PAKFA,MRCA wont be based on these western borders during war times. THese long strike ones move into central airfields while the air defence aircraft move to the forward bases.AFAIK,IAF took 40 min to bring a bombed runway back into operation in an exercise. If you are talking about the Pak CMs? then I assure you to go and sleep peacefully provided the multi-tier air defence net at AFBs.

If its china? then it will be totally a different game with different appraoch.

Got you....I appreciate your time for replying to my basic questions...Thanks mate ...:cheers:

One question that is still unanswered is
- Does it make sense in today's world to even go after runways??? As you just said they can be repaired in 40 minutes...So basically you got to take them off for every sortie that you wanna take....In other words if IAF wants to attack Pakistan then shall we first take off their runways and attack thereafter or simply go after the targets given that there is only limited time that you can cripple runways...

- As far as foreign friendly countries are concerned isn't it too risky for that country.....if they let Pk use their airbases then we might go after them as well...Don't you think so??

Back
Top Bottom