What's new

How can a small country like Sweden develop fighter jets with only a few million people?

Superboy

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Draken, Viggen, Gripen, they've made some of the best in the world. Viggen had the first digital computer avionics I think. :o:

Draken, Viggen, Gripen, they've made some of the best in the world. Viggen had the first digital computer avionics I think. :o:
Eurofighter, Gripen and rafale were all European Union's joint efforts to develop fighter jets. All European countries have pitched in some help for these fighter programs. Sweden alone might never be able to make it.

Eurofighter, Gripen and rafale were all European Union's joint efforts to develop fighter jets. All European countries have pitched in some help for these fighter programs. Sweden alone might never be able to make it.

Rafale is from Dassault. Typhoon is from EADS. Gripen is from SAAB. You mean they funded each other in some way? :coffee:

IMO, Draken which is a 1950s plane, Mach 2.2, looked better than MiG-21, F-4 and F-5, Mirage III :o:

Saab 35 Draken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The size of a nation has little to do with what it is capable off, the British Empire is a prime example of this.

Sweden is a rich and developed country, it is extremely well of in the sciences and engineering, of course it would be capable of developing such a fighter.

If Sweden wanted, it could develop a 5th gen, but it has no need for such a thing and only requires self-defence weapon systems. The foreign sales of the Gripen are just a bonus.

Rafale is from Dassault. Typhoon is from EADS. Gripen is from SAAB. You mean they funded each other in some way? :coffee:

IMO, Draken which is a 1950s plane, Mach 2.2, looked better than MiG-21, F-4 and F-5, Mirage III :o:

Saab 35 Draken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You'd be surprised, most european and US consortiums have a history of sharing their knowledge and helping each other. For example, the Gripen's engine the Volvo RM12 is a licence built engine, derived from the GE F414, an engine from US based General Electric.

When it came to marketing Saab looked at forming partnerships, including with BAE Systems

Source: Saab JAS 39 Gripen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Source: Volvo RM12 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[Edit]: I incorrectly stated "For example, the Gripen's engine the Volvo RM12 is a joint venture between Swedish firm Volvo and US firm General Electric.", I've sinced ratified the mistake after proper research.

Yes, the only good stuff Sweden lacked was engine. First using British then using American. France had a population of some 50 million at the time and was able to develop very good engines.

People,

Engineering is a frame of mind. The technology reflects who you are. Saabs and volvos and weapons and weapons system--each and everything the swedes come out with has been a masterpiece of engineering technology---a stepping stone for many a nation.

Why not? Sweden is producing extraordinary pool of Scientists, Physicists,Mathematicians, chemists, Engineers,Inventors since ages. As far as size and population is concerned it does not count at all. When we are talking about scientific progress, the quality of education, mindset of a society and it's preferences are all that matters.

For some reason, Norway has no high level technology like Sweden does. Norway has about half the population as Sweden, but is much warmer.

Their country since its Independence doesn't experience any Brain drain there; like Pakistan does. Also in the past decade, Pakistan has brain drained much beatiful minds that were developed in the times with great efforts which are now helping and proving their selves in other countries which Pakistan silently considers them its Enemies :)

Back
Top Bottom