What's new

Egypt expels Turkish ambassador

Sorry for taking it a little bit off-topic. I see that there is already plenty of off-topic posts so I hope that it does not matter if I ask a question that has nothing to do with the topic, now when I have seen two German users here.

Where does the German seriousness and work ethic come from? This must be something relatively new because before you became Christian some 1000 years ago or so, you were known as "barbarians" by the Romans if we look at their sources.

I believe that most experts say that it comes from Martin Luther and Protestantism in the early 1500's and its moral ethics and teachings. Is that correct?

It is just astonishing to see the difference in mentality between Southern Europeans and Germans. Or just Frenchmen and Germans despite both countries bordering each other. You notice it immediately when entering the country from France and vice versa.

Please elaborate, @Bismarck, @MarkusS

LoL,
While we at it with offtopic posts.
Zu aller Deutschers, warum sprechen die Deutschers so wenig Englisch? I can't find my way in Germany with only english. Such a difference with the Netherlands.

LoL,
While we at it with offtopic posts.
Zu aller Deutschers, warum sprechen die Deutschers so wenig Englisch? I can't find my way in Germany with only english. Such a difference with the Netherlands.

Truth. They don't understand a word of French either.

:rofl:

Quite frankly neither Dutch or German are pleasing languages to the ears. I hope that I don't offend anyone by saying this. Just my own opinion. German is better than Dutch though. That language is so strange, man.

Neither is Danish.

Truth. They don't understand a word of French either.

:rofl:

Quite frankly neither Dutch or German are pleasing languages to the ears. I hope that I don't offend anyone by saying this. Just my own opinion. German is better than Dutch though. That language is so strange, man.

Neither is Danish.

Hahahaha,

Yeah I heard that before. Especially for Germans.
By the way I think that there is no hard feeling, since it's mutual. Arabic sounds to them like someone is cleaning his throat making himself ready to spit the excess glue in the throat.

In the end to everyone their mother-language sounds the best. French is also good to the ear.

Hahahaha,

Yeah I heard that before. Especially for Germans.
By the way I think that there is no hard feeling, since it's mutual. Arabic sounds to them like someone is cleaning his throat making himself ready to spit the excess glue in the throat.

In the end to everyone their mother-language sounds the best. French is also good to the ear.

In terms of accent then the most similar European languages to Arabic is Spanish and Portuguese. Of course aside from Maltese which is a Semitic language and a mixture of Arabic, Italian and mainly French/English loanwords.

Especially Spanish since up to 25% of all Spanish words derive from Arabic. Many words/letters are also pronounced in the exact same way or in a very similar way. THis is why Arabs have a very easy time picking up Spanish and pronouncing the words correctly.

But I think it is widely known that Dutch or German are not pleasing languages for the ears, neither musical in anyway, at least in Europe. I heard this very often. Heard it in France when I lived there and I hear it here in Denmark despite Danish not being the most beautiful of languages either. But you often here "German language jokes" here. Arabic rather the opposite since many Arabic songs are popular in the world and rhythms. You also have a lot of Arabic dialects that differ in the pronunciation. Much more diverse than German for example where you only have the North/South divide. But of course this is all personal opinions. I am more interested in learning about that German work ethic and seriousness and whether my theory is right.:)

Obviously Egyptians aren't liking the muslims the turks have become , they would rather see them secular and poor.

Sorry i was sleeping. Well romans called us barbarians because they could not understand us, but that does not mean our ancestors were lazy. Germany was never conquered from rome...and later we managed to destroy rome. you need discipline for that. we live in a harsh country. in old times you had to work hard in the summer to survive the winter. i think that all plays into it.

as for the language, most germans speak no english or just barely. the young ones do, but im not that good in it. people here dont like english. in germany you speak german, thats what people think. we like our language. it is normal that it sounds strange for other europeans. They got all raped from romans and their language was romanized. ours not, so thats why they sound different. ;)

[video]

Hahahahaha, fkin Germans man, haha. Germans are good people but they have no humor. :)

Sorry i was sleeping. Well romans called us barbarians because they could not understand us, but that does not mean our ancestors were lazy. Germany was never conquered from rome...and later we managed to destroy rome. you need discipline for that. we live in a harsh country. in old times you had to work hard in the summer to survive the winter. i think that all plays into it.

as for the language, most germans speak no english or just barely. the young ones do, but im not that good in it. people here dont like english. in germany you speak german, thats what people think. we like our language. it is normal that it sounds strange for other europeans. They got all raped from romans and their language was romanized. ours not, so thats why they sound different. ;)

Thanks for the answer. No, your English is fine.

Was all of Southern Germany not part of the Roman Empire for a long time?

What about Slavic people? They were never a part of the Roman Empire either.

But I mean many people had to survive in harsh climates. Most if not all people back in the day.

But this German seriousness and work ethic must be a fairly recent phenomenon. I have heard most theories saying that it came after the Reformation by Martin Luther in the early 1500's. So I wanted to hear your view of it.

Anyway thanks for the answer. I have been to Germany many times. Driven from North to South. I prefer Southern Germany I have to say. Many times over.

Actually German is very similar to English, for exsample, i never learned English in School, only from TV (I used to watch Cartoon Network in English as kid :D), many words are similar, but German grammar is the horror. :lol:

[video]

Hahahahaha, fkin Germans man, haha. Germans are good people but they have no humor. :)
Dude dont post comments like this, why do you offend people all the time?

Actually German is very similar to English, for exsample, i never learned English in School, only from TV (I used to watch Cartoon Network in English as kid :D), many words are similar, but German grammar is the horror. :lol:

That is because both German and English are Germanic languages. English too, unlike German, is heavily influenced by French and thus Latin since French is a Latin language. This is seen in the pronunciation of words. So actually French had somewhat of a bigger influence on English I would say.

I speak both English and French (lived in France for years) so I know that they are more similar in pronunciation than English and German is despite belonging to different language groups.

Thanks for the answer. No, your English is fine.

Was all of Southern Germany not part of the Roman Empire for a long time?

What about Slavic people? They were never a part of the Roman Empire either.

But I mean many people had to survive in harsh climates. Most if not all people back in the day.

But this German seriousness and work ethic must be a fairly recent phenomenon. I have heard most theories saying that it came after the Reformation by Martin Luther in the early 1500's. So I wanted to hear your view of it.

Anyway thanks for the answer. I have been to Germany many times. Driven from North to South. I prefer Southern Germany I have to say. Many times over.

Yeah because Switzerland is there.... :azn:

That is because both German and English are Germanic languages. English too, unlike German, is heavily influenced by French and thus Latin since French is a Latin language. This is seen in the pronunciation of words. So actually French had somewhat of a bigger influence on English I would say.
I know, also Dutch, Danish and many other nordic Languages.

Yeah because Switzerland is there.... :azn:

I know, also Dutch, Danish and many other nordic Languages.

I have been to Switzerland as well. In car many times. You always have to pay for the highways and in every shop you go to it is all very expensive. Swiss Franc is also used as a currency. I like the fact that you have French, German and Italian speaking parts of the country. It is really somewhat of a artificial country in that way. When we lived in France we often went by car for holidays to Spain or Italy. Down the highways. Quite fun but tiring.

Back
Top Bottom