What's new

Economy in the doldrums as India's external debt crosses half trillion mark, Debt = $529 billion

BHarwana

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Unpleasant news for the Indian economy continues to flow in. In the latest, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released data showing that India's external debt crossed half a trillion dollar ($529 billion) by the end of March 2018.

India's foreign currency debt grew by 12.4 per cent as compared to the figure at the end of March last year.

The data show that the ratio between India's external debt and the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was 20.5 per cent at March-end this year. This was higher than the 20 per cent figure at the same time last year.

RBI says this rise can be attributed to increase in borrowings by Indians from overseas markets, deposits of non-resident Indians (NRIs) and rise in commercial borrowings.

https://www.indiatoday.in/business/...ion-mark-rupee-depreciates-1273797-2018-06-30

India's external debt rises $58.4 bn to $529.7 bn

India's external debt stood at $ 529.7 billion at the end of March 2018, recording an increase of $ 58.4 billion year-on-year, primarily on account of a rise in commercial borrowings, short-term debt and non-resident Indian (NRI) deposits, the RBI said on June 29.

The increase in the magnitude of external debt was partly due to valuation loss resulting from the depreciation of the US dollar against major currencies,the central bank said in a statement

The external debt to GDP ratio stood at 20.5 percent at end-March 2018, higher than its level of 20.0 percent at end-March 2017,it added.

As per the RBI data, share of commercial borrowings continued to be the largest component of external debt with a share of 38.2 percent, followed by NRI deposits (23.8 percent) and short-term trade credit (19.0 percent).

Debt service payments declined to 7.5 percent of current receipts at end-March 2018 as compared with 8.3 percent at end-March 2017.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/b...l-debt-rises-58-4-bn-to-529-7-bn-2654681.html

Thats still 20.5% of our GDP for 2018. When Modi came to power in 2014, external debt to GDP was 23.9%. Some improvement, no? By the way Pakistan's external debt to GDP in 2017 was 27+% which must be crossing 28-29% in 2018.

Your country your problem I just told you external Debt is Higher than half a Trillion dollars. Love it hate it, It is your mess.

Thats still 20.5% of our GDP for 2018. When Modi came to power in 2014, external debt to GDP was 23.9%. Some improvement, no? By the way Pakistan's external debt to GDP in 2017 was 27+% which must be crossing 28-29% in 2018.

it include NRI deposites...24%..

commercial borrowing by private companies...38%..

it may also has components of short term FII money which they put on stock market...

Compared to the size of the economy, just 20.5%. Secondly the figures are as of March 31, since then billions have been pulled off by FIIs from India's bond market. The figure would be considerably less now. Thirdly unlike Pakistan, most of the external debts are not held by the govt, and even those which are held by non-govt entities are mostly rupee denominated in form of sale of bonds. Thus a fall in rupee value will actually mean lesser dollar outflow.

Your country your problem I just told you external Debt is Higher than half a Trillion dollars. Love it hate it, It is your mess.

india has more than 450 bn dollar reserve , fikar nahi karne ka .

india has more than 450 bn dollar reserve , fikar nahi karne ka .

Mujhay koi fikar nahi. I have no issues it is your country your debt I have just posted news. Don't give me clarification. Instead think what is best for you.

Mujhay koi fikar nahi. I have no issues it is your country your debt I have just posted news. Don't give me clarification. Instead think what is best for you.

oh bhai tumhe fikar hui tabhi to itna pareshan hai :D

oh bhai tumhe fikar hui tabhi to itna pareshan hai :D

lol $529 billion is your debt not mine I give a damn about it. Discuss it with your country men if it is good or bad. Have fun and enjoy PDF.

you posted it after loosing a argument on pakistan borrowing from china ....in a debt trap related thread...

Nope it is only your dream that you can win an argument lol. I already won argument on that thread from an American. You never had and argument.

This is a good thread for you to discuss your own economy have fun.

You love it. Why not admit it?o_O
Why do you think the Indian economy is in doldrums?

Back
Top Bottom