What's new

Could Ranjeet Singh's statue in Lahore be torn down like the statues of tyrants in the West?

Lol no one takes your opinion on Gandhi seriously. He was one of the major leaders of the Independence movement and is even now respected across the world. You should really watch the movie Gandhi produced and directed by Richard Attenborough and starring Ben Kingsley to gain some more knowledge even if you are not able to read his book called 'My Experiments With Truth'. The movie 'Gandhi' was nominated for the Academy Awards in 11 categories and won 8 of them.
You for real? You really want to use a film made by the white man to align the history behind Ghandi? That - even for an Indian is a poor show.
Have to agree with @masterchief_mirza assessment - he was a racist and there are more than rumours about his sexual activity but discussing on here would be off topic so let’s leave it their.

On topic - I don’t believe in having statues erected portraying decisive characters as heroes or prominent people marking our history. Why semi worship and waste the money - enrich museums and libraries so those that choose to indulge can go fathom
What certain characters did or didn’t. Nope I’m not one for these statues

You for real? You really want to use a film made by the white man to align the history behind Ghandi? That - even for an Indian is a poor show.
Have to agree with @masterchief_mirza assessment - he was a racist and there are more than rumours about his sexual activity but discussing on here would be off topic so let’s leave it their.

On topic - I don’t believe in having statues erected portraying decisive characters as heroes or prominent people marking our history. Why semi worship and waste the money - enrich museums and libraries so those that choose to indulge can go fathom
What certain characters did or didn’t. Nope I’m not one for these statues

Why not?

It is Kipling's India on the internet after all.

There are not a single Sikh, Hindu etc belongs to Arain caste.

Yes that is why a tyrant like Ranjeet Singh can only be a "hero" for people belonging to certain castes/tribes/baradaris (and other such BS) who always are looking for their daddies of same castes among hindus and sikhs of india. I think the time has come to call a spade a spade without being politically correct.

His statue was already vandalised once in August 2019.

Go ahead, build more Ertegrul statues based on TV characters from foreign countries.

Can you provide evidence that the statue was damaged in August 2019?

PS Pakistani culture encompasses Islamic culture and heritage. Much the same way that Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Brazilian, Argentinian and Mexican culture encompasses Roman Catholicism. A foreigner like yourself would never know that.

Some quotes from the same articles that you posted. Please read them carefully, this is from the 1st one:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professor of Indian history at Oxford University, Faisal Devji, said he thought the debate to remove the statue was "absurd".

"It seems almost surreal to have to list the many things Gandhi did," he said.

"He's a fallible man as all men are, but to lump him in with slave owners, that's a bit much."

But Prof Devji said Gandhi's "record is actually very mixed", and he was known to sympathise with Africans during the Boer and Zulu wars.

"Gandhi too was an imperfect human being, [but] imperfect Gandhi was more radical and progressive than most contemporary compatriots," he said.

Former MP Keith Vaz, who was at the unveiling of the Leicester statue in 2009, called the Indian leader "one of the greatest peacemakers in history", and said he would "defend [the statue] personally".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second one:

Ramachandra Guha, writer of the magisterial Gandhi Before India, writes that "to speak of comprehensive equality for coloured people was premature in early 20th Century South Africa". Attacking Gandhi for racism, wrote another commentator, "takes a simplistic view of a complex life".

More than a century after he left Africa, there has been a resurrection of Gandhi in South Africa. Despite their reservations about the 'man of Empire', Desai and Vahed acknowledge that Gandhi "did raise universal demands for equality and dignity".

But even the greatest men are flawed. And Gandhi was possibly no exception.

My personal opinion is that Gandhi went to Africa when he was too young. He developed himself more spiritually when he came to India.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read this:
https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/Mandela-and-the-Mahatma/article12009462.ece

https://progressive.org/dispatches/mandela-took-inspiration-gandhi/

@Joe Shearer Any thoughts?

He went to jail multiple times unlike M.A. Jinnah. What will you say about that? If the Britishers are throwing a person to jail, surely that person is a big headache for the British right? Anyway, your rants are just useless and the words you have used for him clearly shows your disgusting thinking.

You can fund the security of the museum from India.

Show some concern as a Maratha to a Punjabi folklore hero.

We have other magnificent artifacts as well. @W.11 probably deals in black market antiquity market from Sindh

He went to jail multiple times unlike M.A. Jinnah. What will you say about that? If the Britishers are throwing a person to jail, surely that person is a big headache for the British right?
Your inference is unfounded. There are many reasons Gandhi may have gone to jail more than Jinnah. You're simply speculating. The most obvious reason may well simply be that Jinnah was smart enough to avoid jail. I don't really know the reality, but this is idle speculation anyway that is irrelevant to our discussion on Gandhi.

Regarding your other quotes - I have already agreed that opinions differ and the majority of non-subcontinent origin individuals still regard Gandhi as a "liberal hero". I simply differ in my view and I am not alone in this interpretation.

PS Pakistani culture encompasses Islamic culture and heritage. Much the same way that Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Brazilian, Argentinian and Mexican culture encompasses Roman Catholicism. A foreigner like yourself would never know that.

We have African styled buildings as well.

It's all there. Nigerian prince @925boy is funding a museum as well.

Will Mexico pay for it?

https://images.dawn.com/news/1185375/ertugrul-gets-a-statue-in-lahore

5edc9e239c18a.jpg

I don't know. Did Mexico pay for this ? If they did, they might pay for more. :P

You can fund the security of the museum from India.

Show some concern as a Maratha to a Punjabi folklore hero.

We have other magnificent artifacts as well. @W.11 probably deals in black market antiquity market from Sindh
Why should we fund your museum. Feel free to do as you wish. We have plenty of Sikh monuments here in India. In my state, there is a Hazur Sahib in Nanded built by Ranjit Singh to honour Guru Gobind Singh who passed away in Nanded.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1499336

Why should we fund your museum. Feel free to do as you wish. We have plenty of Sikh monuments here in India. In my state, there is a Hazur Sahib in Nanded built by Ranjit Singh to honour Guru Gobind Singh who passed away in Nanded.

there are a billion and a half more of you.

we will find someone. sad you don't wanna play part in preserving history and tradition.

go learn Chinese

yepp...
we bringing the world at your doorstep.

hide the gold gandhi. hide it well

i wonder if he can get Jamahir a mummified cat from Memphis.
You're good at this! One day when you have the time, you must also reduce me to a witty one-liner character summary, embedded in one of your posts about some serious topic.

Back
Top Bottom