What's new

Could Ranjeet Singh's statue in Lahore be torn down like the statues of tyrants in the West?

Any television show or movie made on the great secular ruler, either by India or Pakistan? @TheGreatMaratha @Jackdaws @jamahir @Indus Pakistan @GHALIB

- PRTP GWD
I just searched and found one on Netflix -https://www.netflix.com/in/title/81035398#:~:text=The tale of legendary warrior,life in this animated feature.

No. Jaats and Rajputs told him to be in his skin.
He had signed a treaty with British that he wouldn't come South of the river Sutlej. It's not related to Jatt or Rajput. In fact, there were Jatt and Rajput soldiers in his army as well.

Sikh empire at peak: If you observe carefully, his whole empire covers the 5 tributaries of the Indus and as I mentioned, it hasn't come South of the Sutlej river.
main-qimg-69471e7a517b125e09fdc296ea805086

Pathans didn't or couldn't? @Indus Pakistan

- PRTP GWD
They were driven out of Lahore, Peshawar, Multan, Kashmir. Atleast, the ones fighting under the Durrani empire.

Sikh empire at peak
In it glory it encompassed almost the whole of present day Pakistan. Our western neighbours have this silly tendency to dissociate themselves from their past. Makes reading very amusing. In contrast, look at us Marathas and Assamese. Sordid existence for them....

No yaar. The classic older ones. You know the type over which @jamahir always has orgasms.

- PRTP GWD
I don't think there are any classics. Atleast, I'm not aware of them.

In it glory it encompassed almost the whole of present day Pakistan. Our western neighbours have this silly tendency to dissociate themselves from their past. Makes reading very amusing. In contrast, look at us Marathas and Assamese. Sordid existence for them....
Big fan of Lachit Borphukan.

Pakistanis are nothing if not consistently hypocritical. These will be the same people who will cry the loudest if India renames anything that carries the Mughal name.
History is the compilation of many happenings and stories that people should not try to change to a new version. It is a matter of the past, no relevancy with the present. Ranjit Singh was the Tiger of Punjab. All groups of people from all over the past Hindustan should pay due respect to a Hero who was able to keep the British thieves at bay during his lifetime. His golden wings spread up to Peshwar.

A population is encouraged by the bravery of their Hero of the present as well as the past. It is no coincidence that the Punjab Regiment consisting of both Muslims and Sikhs became the symbol of heroism in and after 1857. It may be because they drew bravery from Ranjit Singh although they worked in the British military.

Ranjit's statue must stay as it is in his birth place and the seat of his free govt. He was the Son of Punjab. Another Hero I can recall was Raja Puru (Porus) who fought against Alexander in the Battle of Hydaspes in 326 B.C. He was also a Punjabi, a quite tall Punjabi, both in stature and bravery. How can people of entire old Hindustan like us can forget him also?

Not sure why some Pakistanis like worshipping Ranjit Singh and the era of Sikh Rule. If they studied history, they'd know that large number of Punjabi Muslims lost their lands to them and were continually religiously oppressed until the conquest of Punjab by the British.

This whole statue is a stupid idea.
I think this is not so much about "worshipping" but acnowledging history as was. The important thing to keep in my mind is coterminous Pakistan has it's own unique history. All too often it's looked at through the prism of South Asia. Fact is our experiance with British Raj or "India" only began in 1849. We were peripheral to the so called Indian war of independance which only took place 8 years later.

Even within coterminous Pakistan each region has it's own experiance and tale to tell. Sindh for example had it's own history when they were invaded and "Made Indian" in 1843. Point being Mir Jaffer, Tipu Sultan etc are all foreign experiances for coterminous Pakistan and should NOT be included in the story of Pakistan.

I think this is not so much about "worshipping" but acnowledging history as was. The important thing to keep in my mind is coterminous Pakistan has it's own unique history. All too often it's looked at through the prism of South Asia. Fact is our experiance with British Raj or "India" only began in 1849. We were peripheral to the so called Indian war of independance which only took place 8 years later.

Even within coterminous Pakistan each region has it's own experiance and tale to tell. Sindh for example had it's own history when they were invaded and "Made Indian" in 1843. Point being Mir Jaffer, Tipu Sultan etc are all foreign experiances for coterminous Pakistan and should NOT be included in the story of Pakistan.
Television series and movies on this great secular ruler should be shown rather than that far away alien Ertugral. @El Sidd @fitpOsitive

- PRTP GWD

Television series and movies on this great secular ruler should be shown rather than that far away alien Ertugral. @El Sidd @fitpOsitive

- PRTP GWD

Ertugal is NOT alien to us. Pakistan shares an encompassing Islamic heritage with other Muslim nations such as Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan. Much the same way as Spain, Portugal, Italy, Brazil and Argentina share a Roman Catholic heritage.

This one,

attachment.php

5d1539015de63.jpg

He was a tyrant who made the lives of the Muslim populations of Punjab, Kashmir and modern KPK miserable but his statue was placed in Lahore a couple of years ago by the self-hating "ham bahasiat qaum munafiq hain" brigade in Lahore. So now as we are living in the age of tearing down statutes of tyrants from the past in the wake of current global campaign against the statues of the past racists and tyrants, is it possible that the statue of this tyrant could also meet the same fate. You comments please?
Can you describe some acts of tyranny perpetrated by Maharaja Ranjit Singh?

Show some proofs. Don't talk in thin air.

This is the best idea. It should not be in plain view. Neither do we enjoy statues as Muslims, neither are we admirers of killers of Muslims.
So why do you complain when Indian Hindus try to remove signs of killer of Hindus? Hypocrisy much.

Back
Top Bottom