What's new

Coronavirus: Millionaire Wetherspoon’s boss tells staff to consider working for Tesco

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This is the side of the UK we do not want to see in this crisis.

The boss of UK's largest pub chain is worth nearly 700 million US dollars and the chain has been making healthy profits for many years.

Despite the fact that the government will be paying 80% of his low paid staff's wages, he cannot even bring himself to pay them a week's wage out of his huge pocket as he does not want to pay them any more than the government will give him it seems!

I always thought this guy was a nasty piece of work and hopefully that people now see him for what he is, boycott his business after this crisis is over and a more humane chain replaces Wetherspoons and hires back all his staff.

Link below:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...20906.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

"The millionaire boss of Wetherspoon pubs has suggested his 40,000 staff should go to work at Tesco amid uncertainty over their futures due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Tim Martin indicated the company would not continue to pay employees who were now not working after pubs in the UK were closed to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Instead, in a rambling video sent out late on Monday, the 64-year-old said that supermarkets were hiring – and wished his workers good luck.

“I know that all our trade now has gone to supermarkets,” he says in the recording since posted to YouTube. “Not only our trade, but the trade from cafés, leisure centres, restaurants, etcetera.

"So we have had lots of calls from supermarkets – Tesco alone want 20,000 people to join them. That's half the amount of people who work in our pubs."

But he said the money could take weeks to come through, and made no suggestion that Wetherspoon itself would cover the cost until the back payments arrived. The company has an annual turnover of £1.8 billion.

In contrast to firms such as Costa – which has promised to carry on paying full wages for at least eight weeks – Mr Martin also suggested staff would receive no more than the government stipend.

“If I'm honest, I could say you can get the furlough payments and stay at home,” he says. "[But] If you're offered a job at a supermarket, many of you will want to do that. If you think it's a good idea, do it.

"I can completely understand it. If you've worked for us before I promise we will give you first preference if you want to come back."

I always thought this guy was a nasty piece of work and hopefully that people now see him for what he is, boycott his business after this crisis is over and a more humane chain replaces Wetherspoons and hires back all his staff.
He's a selfish git, more worried about money than people's lives.

Back
Top Bottom