What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
latest Mirage III crash in Blochistan was due to adverse weather conditions even if it was capable for adverse conditions not so now. Mirages have manual conrols and lack EW suit, further without having BVR capabilities. They only have capability to bomb Terrorists not good for deep penetration missions in enemy territory. This may be checked by any pro if available here. The Jaguars on the other hand are being highly updated further they act in combination with other fighters. PAF don't have such luxury.
I guess it depends on which Mirages you are talking about. Rose I is BVR capable. Rose II/III are capable of precision attack/interdiction at night time which means, within a reasonable range, Mirages can conduct interdiction missions and make easy their escape by flying low to the ground. For as long as Mirages are in service, they can pose problems for any defending air force by virtue of their speed and fairly decent capabilities to deploy PGMs. The challenge with the Mirages is not necessarily around their lack of capability in the current threat environment, rather the spares. Its still a great strike platform.

I guess it depends on which Mirages you are talking about. Rose I is BVR capable. Rose II/III are capable of precision attack/interdiction at night time which means, within a reasonable range, Mirages can conduct interdiction missions and make easy their escape by flying low to the ground. For as long as Mirages are in service, they can pose problems for any defending air force by virtue of their speed and fairly decent capabilities to deploy PGMs. The challenge with the Mirages is not necessarily around their lack of capability in the current threat environment, rather the spares. Its still a great strike platform.

Dear Sir, I have quoted already please get advice of expert, There Radar range is merely not more than 50Km for aerial targets and hardly if I am not wrong up to 150KM for frigate size ships, we may assume that may be agaisnt stealthy Indian frigates it may be even less than that. Further against Mig 29Ks having capable EW suit,IRST and other defensive offensive gadgets our Mirrages don't have chance to survive. Flying low were old tactics now risk shall be more as new EU/Israeli Radars along with SAMS forming great combo with 4.5th gen Jets our modernized 4th gen Jets may prove to be great deal for these Mirrages no matter with rose upgrade or not. They are not suited for Air to Air combat independently.

We require double engine Air superiority Jets having required agility, speed and High altitude service ceiling i.e more than 62,000ft. ( Off course withgen EW suite, Irst, AESA and some etealth features)

Mirages not equipped with BVR missiles.

Very well put thanks for clearing that up for many ... this is all very true and should be known thanks.

I am often to blogging and i also truly appreciate about his posts.

At moment there are some jet engins very small with very low thrust and 3d printets are also making plastic jet engins with low thrust so......pakistan should make short range antiradiation cruise missels......they loiter in the area and during jet strike as enemy radar goes on.....then Bang.

How many Mirages are there now in PAF?

What about this idea that converting older non-Rose upgraded Mirages in to spares. And use their spares to support the current flying rose upgraded Mirage IIIs/Vs.

True. i wonder if consideration was given to use RD series engine. while at atlas, we had managed to get mig-29 engine into f1C for POC as super F1C.

True. i wonder if consideration was given to use RD series engine. while at atlas, we had managed to get mig-29 engine into f1C for POC as super F1C.
This is not bad if airframe life allows.....then Jf.17 engins to install also on Mirages.....may be also some other part of JF.17 to use on Mirages......I dont know may be same Radar that is on JF.17....TO INSTALL ON MIRAGES.

The PAF should consider replacing the Mirage ROSE with FC-31. For the strike role I think the FC-31 has some serious potential, not least due to the fact that it has an internal storage bay and low-RCS design. The timing (2024-onwards) works out well too, and the intended role (of replacing the ROSE) doesn't interfere with JF-17.

pac should build new mirages in home if it can do because mirage is a good aircraft of the present. pac should build new aircraft against mirage 2000 from mirage!!!.

pac should build new mirages in home if it can do because mirage is a good aircraft of the present. pac should build new aircraft against mirage 2000 from mirage!!!.
Mirage 3 is fairly old and not worth pursuing; in comparison, jf-17 design is better and far better optimised for overall performance.

It is sad enough that sensible members considering Mirage III and Mirage V as capable fighters. Yes they may prove to be capable against Taliban or we are having any third world country as our adversary with no or weaker air defense but unfortunately our adversary is India so far having capable land and naval air defense. Further having mostly 4+ gen fighter jets with upgraded capabilities.
The fact is so far our only F16 Mlued and Block 50/52 are capable to challenge Su30s, meanwhile JF17s are capable to challenge Mig29s and other light fighters. Meanwhile so far we have only 76 F16s and up to perhaps 55-56 JF17s while IAF having 200+SU30's. Further expected to get Rafaels in next two years which will further add comlexity to situation.

Pak should increase pace of induction of both F16s and JF17s . Similarly AESA and IRST upgrades in JF17s should also be started on emergency basis.

Overhauls or repairs can't make fighter jets equal to newer jets, even if our Mirage with Rose III upgrades are BVR capable yet they are not armed with BVR missiles and less maneuverable, not having capable EW suites.

with 76 F-16 and ~70 JFT we are well set to stand upto any thing IAF has in its inventory

IAF mig29 and mirage 2000 are of older generation till upgraded and they are not done yet. Once IAF upgrade mig-29 and mirage 2000 in numbers they will be as capable a Su-30 (from threat perspective). By then (minimum) PAF will have more than 84 F-16 and close to 150-200 JFT. more than enough to provide deterrence against IAF.

with 76 F-16 and ~70 JFT we are well set to stand upto any thing IAF has in its inventory

IAF mig29 and mirage 2000 are of older generation till upgraded and they are not done yet. Once IAF upgrade mig-29 and mirage 2000 in numbers they will be as capable a Su-30 (from threat perspective). By then (minimum) PAF will have more than 84 F-16 and close to 150-200 JFT. more than enough to provide deterrence against IAF.
What abt Rafaels coming in near future?

Back
Top Bottom