What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
Yasser.
More than the production schedule and capacity issue it is simply a financial issue as well.Precisely the same reason applies to not replacing the M3/5s in the absence of a financially viable replacement solution. Secondly, looking at the block 3 production schedule they are suggesting producing just 12 a year. I am clueless as to the reasons for this.
Regards
A

JF-17 was supposed to be our financially viable light fighter, whilst F-16/AZM took care of medium weight catagory. The whole point of JF-17 was to replace the large F-7/Mirage fleets. As you say, if production capacity s just 16 a year then we are in trouble, but I guess even at 16 a year, 5 years production gives us 4 more Sqds which in itself is enough to replace the3 remaining two active F-7P and Mirage ROSE I squadrons. If push comes to shove we can also get JF-17s off the Chinese production line.

upload_2020-6-15_10-14-5.png

upload_2020-6-15_10-53-21.png

while working on JF-17 project, we should have considered other options.

Mirage III/V has outlived many of its contemporaries, celebrating 50+ years of Service with PAF. PAF owns almost all remaining Mirage III/V models including EP, RP, D, VD, V, VPA, VPA2, VPA3, III0, IIIEA, IIIDA, VEF, IIIDF, IIIEL, IIIDL, VDD and ROSE and has a rebuild factory in place since 70s.
renderTimingPixel.png

REAL LIFE

Great pictures. As I said, Mirage is sturdy strike platform with decent range and attack avionics. In air defence now needs to be retired. Grifo/AIM-9L combo simply not good enough for South Asian scenario anymore.

Mirage III/V has outlived many of its contemporaries, celebrating 50+ years of Service with PAF. PAF owns almost all remaining Mirage III/V models including EP, RP, D, VD, V, VPA, VPA2, VPA3, III0, IIIEA, IIIDA, VEF, IIIDF, IIIEL, IIIDL, VDD and ROSE and has a rebuild factory in place since 70s.
renderTimingPixel.png

REAL LIFE

With all that in place, their technical expertise were limited to refurbishing old frames. They could not build a new mirage frame or upgrade to more powerful engine in existing frame.

Mirages are and will only be used in ground attack role including CAS.
They will be a means of the very last resort if they are ever used in the air defence role.......meaning the air war is already lost as we have lost all or most of our air to air warfare platforms.

Majority of countries have retired their fleet
of Mirage 3/5 ten years ago. Currently Pakistan is only country that has Mirage 3/5 still flying. Honestly these should have been replaced 10 years ago with surplus F-16 or JF-17 or another planes.

I'm sure PAF might look towards acquiring more F-16s.

Back
Top Bottom