What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
7-x6.jpg

12a17f53dfd1c1ceb1a62d538482c6d2.jpg

Just a curious question if any 1 care to answer..!
Why PAF did not go for Mirage F1..??
I personally think that it would have performed and served much better then Mirage 3
Thanks

I personally think that it would have performed and served much better then Mirage 3
Thanks
Perhaps not a priority, or the perennial paucity of funds. Only the PAF leadership of those days can answer this question definitively.

Thanks
because mirage 5 was bought before and mirage2000 was avaialble afterwards

i always wondered that if PAF doesn't want to get J10 and jf17 will not evolve further..it would be interesting to see if mirage5 based upgrade with zero frames is viable ..just like what south africa did..

but seems jf17 is the way ahead

Personally I think Pakistan missed out on Super Etendard

2bbc924e3e8fa4b581fe09c7d8cd7657.jpg
Not many of these were built. It couldn't fly supersonic and the Exocet missile which was it's major selling point was already in service with the Mirages. Compared to this the A7 would have been a better choice which was designed for a similar role and was actually on offer

Last edited:
Personally I think Pakistan missed out on Super Etendard

2bbc924e3e8fa4b581fe09c7d8cd7657.jpg

Pakistan missed out on Mirage F1,that would certainly have given a big capability boost over the earlier version of Mirages. Pakistani pilots who flew it in Gulf countries were all praise for it.

Super Etendard wouldn't have given any kind of capability boost.

Not many of these were built. It couldn't fly supersonic and the Exocet missile which was it's major selling point was already in service with the Mirages. Compared to this the A7 would have been a better choice which was designed for a similar role and was actually on offer

110 A-7 one Trick Pony or 40 F-16 the king of South Asia Skies to this date, I think PAF made the right choice. USA was balking on selling A-7 platform to PAF as it would have given it a deep strike platform, that was before F-16's came into limelight. Then when A-7 was being offered, PAF needed F-16 type to counter Ruskies in Afghanistan, not A-7s.

Now imagine if PAF had gone with A-7, where would your spare parts had come from during embargo's ?

On side note, to this date, i still believe my source that Egypt torpedoed PAF chance for having in-house F-1 manufacturing chance.

110 A-7 one Trick Pony or 40 F-16 the king of South Asia Skies to this date, I think PAF made the right choice. USA was balking on selling A-7 platform to PAF as it would have given it a deep strike platform, that was before F-16's came into limelight. Then when A-7 was being offered, PAF needed F-16 type to counter Ruskies in Afghanistan, not A-7s.

Now imagine if PAF had gone with A-7, where would your spare parts had come from during embargo's ?

On side note, to this date, i still believe my source that Egypt torpedoed PAF chance for having in-house F-1 manufacturing chance.
Could you please elaborate a little more on the last point.

I think once the US feared that the PAF could use the A-7 for nuclear delivery, the A-7s were totally off the table, even with the F-16 available. The PAF really liked the A-7, so if it had been available in the 1980s, it would've paired them up with the F-16s.

Ultimately, the lesson here is that the US doesn't want the PAF to build up an offensive edge over India, especially in terms of air power. I don't think the concern here isn't so much India, but that an edge over India would mean an edge over all regional powers, i.e., India, Iran, KSA, etc, and with nukes in tow.

This reality puts the PAF's NGFA/FGFA efforts into scope. The current CAS had given a clear message when he said the ASR was for a twin-engine jet. IMO, AHQ is looking to build the offensive edge locally, at least if they can't buy it off-the-shelf.

Unfortunately, we'll have to climb walls with the local route too (e.g., overcoming the current lack of flight control tech at AvRID/PAC). But, if we can, by some chance, get past those challenges and build a fleet of 270 NGFAs (plus drones) by 2047, then...

F-16 was conceived at the pinnacle of the US ingenuity...

And, Pak has made the most out of it by indigenously conceptualizing and materializing JF-17 with the Chinese cooperation....

I think once the US feared that the PAF could use the A-7 for nuclear delivery, the A-7s were totally off the table, even with the F-16 available. The PAF really liked the A-7, so if it had been available in the 1980s, it would've paired them up with the F-16s.

Ultimately, the lesson here is that the US doesn't want the PAF to build up an offensive edge over India, especially in terms of air power. I don't think the concern here isn't so much India, but that an edge over India would mean an edge over all regional powers, i.e., India, Iran, KSA, etc, and with nukes in tow.

This reality puts the PAF's NGFA/FGFA efforts into scope. The current CAS had given a clear message when he said the ASR was for a twin-engine jet. IMO, AHQ is looking to build the offensive edge locally, at least if they can't buy it off-the-shelf.

Unfortunately, we'll have to climb walls with the local route too (e.g., overcoming the current lack of flight control tech at AvRID/PAC).
I sincerely hope inputs of TFX are there too during this Pak adventure...

TFX initial prototypes are based on 2 F16 engines from GE. A certain loss for the stealth is accepted for the sake of sensor fusion for 360 degrees coverage, avionics, EW, radars etc. capabilities...

A less stealthy TFX is better than no TFX....

Last edited:

I have heard from various sources about the joint plan of various countries including Iran to jointly manufacture the F1. If I remember correctly everyone wanted a piece of the pie. PAF I think decided to walk away if it was not getting production rights. It was a lot of heresay so I could be totally incorrect.
A

Back
Top Bottom