What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
IMO the main reason in current situation to get your own AESA is to get complete ownership of the radar. This will remove a major fear of west which is that their tech will go to Chinese.

It can be that we paid the money to manufacture a custom AESA according to our specs on which we can integrate both western and Chinese weapons.

Interesting I wish more details of this comes out - if this is true we can expand our manufacturing base and lead to sub system development.

one of the source of this leak is @messiach who is a well respected member of the forum ...... secondly plz try to search former Air Cheif Sohail Aman last 2 or 3 speeches during his last days in which he categorically said that we will build AESA radar in Pakistan though in that speech he did not clarify that it would be a completely indigenous AESA radar

My understanding (which have higher chances of going wrong) is that initially we might import TR modules from friendly country but would try to establish software codes with in-house resources ....

I never said that it is on offer for PAF, plz once again read the last few lines of my post which you have quoted .....

I will take a look at those videos and contact the respected PDF member as well. This seems like an interesting development overall.

People,

The Meteor missile is NOT French !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Meteor missile is BRITISH!!!! The core IP and design is BAe.... The manufacturer is MBDA... and MDBA is owned by Airbus(37.5%), BAe(37.5%) and Leonardo(25%)..

Airbus is a German, French and Spanish company....... The French are a minority stake holder(though, via Airbus they hold a veto ).....

The MAJORITY shareholder is the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Meteor Manufacturer = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBDA

Airbus ownership is = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus

PLEASE STOP CALLING IT FRENCH, IT IS NOT FRENCH... IT IS BRITISH !!!!

Last edited:
It's capabilities and role with PAF aside, is it safe to assume that our replacement is delayed to have perfect and more capable than Mirage platform? Just curious.

I flew the Mirage. It is hard to replace. The issue maybe number disparity, and that we have the ability and capability to keep these birds flying.

Even with 76+ 180thunders the number is 260
PAF will still be short of atleast 140 fighters

Assuming thunders go to 250 that would still mean 80 short of 400

So mirages will keep flying may be even till 2035 ..

F7 soon and PG will be retired by 2025-2030..

Now this can change if f16s door open..but wont happen

I suspect that this aircraft will now goto 2030 in PAF service.
If we are looking to keep this aircraft till 2030 then is it not worth upgrading it? The Atlas Cheetah variant is an example which might give us a plane possibly with 7 hardpoints a decent PD Radar and the RD93 engine. For less than 10 million a pop we can have a fairly decent plane.
The other factor is that does PAF consider this plane ideal in its current shape with its current role.
These are questions to which we are looking towards you for an answer.
A

If we are looking to keep this aircraft till 2030 then is it not worth upgrading it? The Atlas Cheetah variant is an example which might give us a plane possibly with 7 hardpoints a decent PD Radar and the RD93 engine. For less than 10 million a pop we can have a fairly decent plane.
The other factor is that does PAF consider this plane ideal in its current shape with its current role.
These are questions to which we are looking towards you for an answer.
A
PAF is gona use it for startegic strike with raad, and H4s and ground attack roles

Seems its satisfied with current performance and is out of money for any upgrades

I think PAF wants to add more f16s to help mirage replacement but cant get them

All I know is the mirages will stay for another decade or so
If the f-7 are retired in next 3-5 years than mirages have another 5-7 years min

Even with 76+ 180thunders the number is 260
PAF will still be short of atleast 140 fighters

Assuming thunders go to 250 that would still mean 80 short of 400

So mirages will keep flying may be even till 2035 ..

F7 soon and PG will be retired by 2025-2030..

Now this can change if f16s door open..but wont happen
chines still flying F7 in large numbers (388), why we are in a hurry to replace them ??????

Last edited:
China is replacing them fast

It is not a case that F-7 is too old (some of these birds were bought in early 90s), point is that they represent very limited capability, even with Grifo radar..

Very short range, no BVR and EW suite and very light combat load. PAF has to man, equip and train several F-7 units and get them up to high standard of training. May as well reduce these units and quickly replace with JF-17

Mirages have decent range and load so will probably continue for strike missions as per Feb 27th

It is not a case that F-7 is too old (some of these birds were bought in early 90s), point is that they represent very limited capability, even with Grifo radar..

Very short range, no BVR and EW suite and very light combat load. PAF has to man, equip and train several F-7 units and get them up to high standard of training. May as well reduce these units and quickly replace with JF-17

Mirages have decent range and load so will probably continue for strike missions as per Feb 27th
exactly most of F7 were purchased in 90s which mean their air frame is quite new. Should be used as trainer

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom