What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
no, they already have access to indian ports. su35 is ideal but geopolitiks is at a strange cross road at present.

It has been a long-term objective of the Russians to gain access to warm water ports. This does not mean any warm water ports, it means warm water ports that would allow them to have a direct land route to Russia. This was one of the strategic objectives of the Soviet Union, that they nearly accomplished with their invasion into Afghanistan...

The Belt and Road will allow Russia to gain such access via Gwadar,

There wont be any purchase of Russian Su series aircraft as Pakistan will then get sanctioned under CAATSA which we can ill-afford at the moment.

Eygpt is buying both mig 35 and Su35
The Migs were ordered before the law went into effect. As for now the Sukhoi deal has not been formally annouced and when it does, you will hear the noises coming from the US.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/arti...atens-caatsa-sanctions-over-russian-arms-deal

Egypt is also a special case due to their proximity and peace treaty with Israel and the Suez Canal. US may even grant them a waiver but certainly would not in Pakistan's case.

PS: I am not saying we should not buy from Russia, but in the event we do, we need to make sure our armed forces' readiness if not impacted the way it was in the 1990s, especially not when India-Pakistan relations are the worst in decades. Given our current situation it is very unlikely we will have any major purchases of Russian offensive weaponry. Just my assumptions here.

The Migs were ordered before the law went into effect. As for now the Sukhoi deal has not been formally annouced and when it does, you will hear the noises coming from the US.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/arti...atens-caatsa-sanctions-over-russian-arms-deal

Egypt is also a special case due to their proximity and peace treaty with Israel and the Suez Canal. US may even grant them a waiver but certainly would not in Pakistan's case.

PS: I am not saying we should not buy from Russia, but in the event we do, we need to make sure our armed forces' readiness if not impacted the way it was in the 1990s, especially not when India-Pakistan relations are the worst in decades. Given our current situation it is very unlikely we will have any major purchases of Russian offensive weaponry. Just my assumptions here.
Regardless sanctions I am not supporter of Russian jets if we need more EU option EF or if Trump administration sells Pak more F16 blk 70.

Eygpt is buying both mig 35 and Su35
This is a very haphazard way of doing things. No wonder they cannot maintain their platforms!!Speaking of M3/5s does anyone have any information on whehter the M3/5s bought from EAF are the upgraded ones or just for spares.
A

Last edited:
This is a very haphazard way of doing things. No wonder they cannot maintain their platforms!!Speaking of M3/5s does anyone have any information on whehter the M3/5s bought from EAF are the upgraded ones or just for spares.
A
A.
From what i read, there are approx 30 odd which are all mod'ed but still given how EAF maintains their aircraft, how many are salvagable; the others - that was a question mark as well; mostly for spares

There wont be any purchase of Russian Su series aircraft as Pakistan will then get sanctioned under CAATSA which we can ill-afford at the moment.

This may not be a problem. If you read between the lines, IK is making a major shift in diplomacy and alliances. We are getting closer to the Russians. If Pak wants to avoid CAATSA, she can always use China as a conduit - i.e. Pak buying a section of Chinese Su-35 in China's next purchase of the same jet.

This may not be a problem. If you read between the lines, IK is making a major shift in diplomacy and alliances. We are getting closer to the Russians. If Pak wants to avoid CAATSA, she can always use China as a conduit - i.e. Pak buying a section of Chinese Su-35 in China's next purchase of the same jet.
Let us see how his visit and meeting with TIT goes; given how much flex and candidity IK will have with TIT; he may be able to get a lot out as TIT needs a face saving measure in the protracted engagement in Afghanistan.

A.
From what i read, there are approx 30 odd which are all mod'ed but still given how EAF maintains their aircraft, how many are salvagable; the others - that was a question mark as well; mostly for spares
Denel.
There are 70 odd M3/5s in EAF inventory. They have only upgraded30 odd. So the question is are these the ones that are being sold. Given how PAF has pounced they maybe . The RC400 radar on them is a decent radar and even if we dont have the platform the radar and other possible goodies might come in handy. However if it is the nonupgraded ones it would be safe to assume they are mostly for spares.
Regards
A

If you look through the threads, insiders have mentioned the Horus are coming along with some others. Horus will be put in PAF service.

Denel.
There are 70 odd M3/5s in EAF inventory. They have only upgraded30 odd. So the question is are these the ones that are being sold. Given how PAF has pounced they maybe . The RC400 radar on them is a decent radar and even if we dont have the platform the radar and other possible goodies might come in handy. However if it is the nonupgraded ones it would be safe to assume they are mostly for spares.
Regards
A
correct. that was same question i had posed a month back; this appears to be a gray area. I suspect entire fleet is up for transfer; if they sell the 30 off upgraded; what about the rest which are probably not flyable.

correct. that was same question i had posed a month back; this appears to be a gray area. I suspect entire fleet is up for transfer; if they sell the 30 off upgraded; what about the rest which are probably not flyable.
I would tend to agree with you. It maybe that once the Horus come through the utility of the rest of the platforms would be mjnimal and PAF might be able to get a deal. The EAF MIGHT have asked them to buy the scrap ones first. So it all depends on negotiations. I suspect people are right that Horus inducted and cleaned up by MRF might provide us with 2 squadrons of BVR capable fighters and while not ideal they might give us some breathing space.
A

I would tend to agree with you. It maybe that once the Horus come through the utility of the rest of the platforms would be mjnimal and PAF might be able to get a deal. The EAF MIGHT have asked them to buy the scrap ones first. So it all depends on negotiations. I suspect people are right that Horus inducted and cleaned up by MRF might provide us with 2 squadrons of BVR capable fighters and while not ideal they might give us some breathing space.
A
yes. the other question is if they are moving over AAMs tied to their HMDS and for BVRs or not and if there are existing aams for that purpose internally as well. It will need to under go a complete refurbishment to get a new lease of life.

yes. the other question is if they are moving over AAMs tied to their HMDS and for BVRs or not and if there are existing aams for that purpose internally as well. It will need to under go a complete refurbishment to get a new lease of life.
Can we not get arms from Italy? Isuspect RD400 will share compatibility with most western armaments .
I do think that the armaments will not be transferred as they can be utilized by the Rafale. So let us see how this pans out
A

Back
Top Bottom