What's new

Banned in Bangalore

janon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
(An article by Wendy Doniger, who's book was recently banned in India.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/opinion/banned-in-bangalore.html?hpw&rref=opinion&_r=0

CHICAGO — LAST month a retired Hindu schoolteacher named Dinanath Batra, who had brought a lawsuit against me and Penguin Books, India, succeeded in getting my book, “The Hindus: An Alternative History,” withdrawn from publication in India. The book, the court agreed, was a violation of India’s blasphemy law, which makes it a crime to offend the sensibilities of a religious person.

Within hours I was receiving hundreds of emails from colleagues, students, readers, high school friends and even complete strangers — in the United States, India and beyond — commiserating with me in my dark hour. But their sympathy, while appreciated, was also wasted: I was in high spirits.

I have devoted my entire academic career, going back to the 1960s, to the interpretation of Hinduism and Indian society, and I have long been inured to the vilification of my books by a narrow band of narrow-minded Hindus.

Their voices had drowned out those of the broader, more liberal parts of Indian society; it reminded me of William Butler Yeats’s line: “The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity.”

What is new, and heartening, this time is that the best are suddenly full of passionate intensity. The dormant liberal conscience of India was awakened by the stunning blow to freedom of speech that had been dealt by my publisher in giving in to the demands of the claimants, agreeing to take the book out of circulation and pulp all remaining copies.

I think the ugliness of the word “pulp” is what struck a nerve, conjuring up memories of “Fahrenheit 451” and Germany in the 1930s. The outrage had been pent up for many years, as other books, films, paintings and sculptures were forced out of circulation by a mounting wave of censorship.

My case was simply the last straw, in part because of its timing, just when many in India had begun to view with horror the likelihood that the elections in May will put into power Narendra Modi, a member of the ultra-right wing of the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party.

If Mr. Batra’s intention was to keep people from reading the book, it certainly backfired: In India, not a single copy was destroyed (the publisher had only a few copies in stock, and those in bookstores quickly sold out), and e-books circulate freely. You cannot ban a book in the age of the Internet. Its sales rank on Amazon has been in single-digit heaven. “Banned in Boston” is a selling label.

Attention has now shifted, rightly, to the broader problems posed by the Indian blasphemy law. My case has helped highlight the extent to which Hindu fundamentalists (Hindutva-vadis, those who champion “Hindutva,” or “Hindu-ness”) now dominate the political discourse in India.

Two objections to the book cited in the lawsuit reveal something about the Hindutva mentality. First, the suit objects “that the aforesaid book is written with Christian Missionary Zeal.” This caused great hilarity among my friends and family, since I grew up in a Jewish family in Great Neck, N.Y.

But when I foolishly decided to set the matter straight — “Hey,” I wrote to an accuser, “I’m Jewish” — I was hit with a barrage of poisonous anti-Semitism. One correspondent wrote: “Hi. I recently came across your book on hindus. Where you try to humiliate us. I don’t know much about jews. Based on your work, I think jews are evil. So Hitler was probably correct in killing all jews in Germany. Bye.”

It’s hard to have a religious dialogue with someone who begins the conversation like that. I was doing better in my role as a Christian missionary.

But there is a bitter irony in this mischaracterization of my religion, since Christian missionaries are actually a part of the problem.

The Victorian Protestant British scorned Hinduism’s polytheism, erotic sculptures, spirited mockery of its own gods and earthy mythology as filthy paganism. They also preferred the texts created and perpetuated by a small, upper-caste male elite, and regarded as beneath contempt the vast oral and vernacular literatures enriched and animated by the voices of women and lower castes. It is this latter, “alternative” Hinduism that my book celebrates throughout Indian history.

Many of the Hindu elite who worked closely with the British caught the prejudices of their masters. In the 19th century, those Hindus lifted up other aspects of Hinduism — its philosophy, its tradition of meditation — that were more palatable to European tastes and made them into a new, sanitized brand of Hinduism, often referred to as Sanatana Dharma, “the Eternal Law.”

That’s the Hinduism that Hindutva-vadis are defending, while they deny the one that the Christian missionaries hated and that I love and write about — the pluralistic, open-ended, endlessly imaginative, often satirical Hinduism. The Hindutva-vadis are the ones who are attacking Hinduism; I am defending it against them.

The Victorian factor also accounts for the Hindutva antipathy to sex. (Here it is not irrelevant that the Indian Supreme Court recently reinstated an 1861 law criminalizing homosexuality.) The lawsuit objects that my “focus in approaching Hindu Scriptures has been sexual in orientation.” In my defense, I can tell you there is a lot of sex in Hinduism, and therefore a lot of puritanism in Hindutva; where there are lions, there are jackals. The poems and songs that imagine the god as lover, like the exquisite statues of goddesses, are a vital part of the religion of those Hindus who did not cave under the pressure of colonial scorn.

But I must apologize for what may amount to false advertising on my behalf by Mr. Batra, who pronounced my book “filthy and dirty.” Readers who bought a copy in hope of finding such passages will be, I fear, disappointed. “The Hindus” isn’t about sex at all. It’s about religion, which is much hotter than sex.

I have read the book. From cover to cover(literally) - it screams - "Hinduism is soft ****" :coffee:
I have read the book too, and I know that is not true. I confess that it has been a while since I read it, but the parts that stuck most in my mind were not about sexuality at all. The chapter on chola architecture was well written.

I still don't understand what the problem is. A person writes a book. Another person gets offended by said book and takes the publisher to court. Both parties are well within their rights to present their case.The publisher settles to withdraw the book. Case closed.

So could anyone tell me as to what is wrong with this picture? A man exercises his due right about an issue close to his heart, what else was he supposed to do? Form mobs, burn houses and kill people till the government would be forced to ban it? I do think a certain class of people would've been pleased had a blood bath transpired. That didn't happen so they keep banging on their drums so that someone would take the bait and prove them right.

I still don't understand what the problem is. A person writes a book. Another person gets offended by said book and takes the publisher to court. Both parties are well within their rights to present their case.The publisher settles to withdraw the book. Case closed.

So could anyone tell me as to what is wrong with this picture? A man exercises his due right about an issue close to his heart, what else was he supposed to do? Form mobs, burn houses and kill people till the government would be forced to ban it? I do think a certain class of people would've been pleased had a blood bath transpired. That didn't happen so they keep banging on their drums so that someone would take the bait and prove them right.

The fact that publishers have to fear lawsuits for publishing books. If the court ordered the books to be withdrawn, that is also a coercive act - coersion is not just by rampaging mobs, but also by the state. In some cases it is necessary, in most cases it is not. Banning books simply because somebody is offended is simply not justifiable.

The article is written by the author. She laments the fact that she cannot publish and sell a book in India, and that publishers have to fear lawsuits and people who take offence.

This is the same publishing house that once upon a time bravely published Salman Rushdie's 'Satanic Verses', and fought tooth and nail in India to keep the book in print. They lost the case back then, and it appears that they have learnt not to take the trouble anymore. They have decided to do what is easy, rather than what is right.

The fact that publishers have to fear lawsuits for publishing books. If the court ordered the books to be withdrawn, that is also a coercive act - coersion is not just by rampaging mobs, but also by the state. In some cases it is necessary, in most cases it is not. Banning books simply because somebody is offended is simply not justifiable.

The article is written by the author. She laments the fact that she cannot publish and sell a book in India, and that publishers have to fear lawsuits and people who take offence.

This is the same publishing house that once upon a time bravely published Salman Rushdie's 'Satanic Verses', and fought tooth and nail in India to keep the book in print. They lost the case back then, and it appears that they have learnt not to take the trouble anymore. They have decided to do what is easy, rather than what is right.

They'll just have to learn to live with that fact. Like I stated before, they were welcome to present their defense but they chose not to. But to imply an Indian citizen is wrong exercising his right to seek legal measures, however frivolous the matter may seem to a third party, is unjustifiable. The courts have undertaken several cases of a religious nature before. Like in MF Hussain's case, they have struck down Hindutva opinion they thought were wrong.

Whether such measures are justifiable in the context of free speech is an another matter altogether and would pertain dragging all religions into the discussion.

But such measures do exist and that is India's reality. It is no different than how "Innocence Of Muslims" finds itself in an American court, everyone deserves to be heard.

I have read the book. From cover to cover(literally) - it screams - "Hinduism is soft ****" :coffee:
Soft **** is still good, we seek bl$$ jobs in privacy instead of blowing ourselves in public places.

Last edited:
They'll just have to learn to live with that fact. Like I stated before, they were welcome to present their defense but they chose not to. But to imply an Indian citizen is wrong exercising his right to seek legal measures, however frivolous the matter may seem to a third party, is unjustifiable. The courts have undertaken several cases of a religious nature before. Like in MF Hussain's case, they have struck down Hindutva opinion they thought were wrong.

Whether such measures are justifiable in the context of free speech is an another matter altogether and would pertain dragging all religions into the discussion.

But such measures do exist and that is India's reality. It is no different than how "Innocence Of Muslims" finds itself in an American court, everyone deserves to be heard.

Nobody said the Indian is wrong to seek legal measures. But the legal system itself should not ban books on frivolous complaints.

Yes, I know that is the reality, and the author knows it too, and is lamenting that fact. We can criticize the reality, can we not? That's how we improve societies. By criticizing its wrongs.

Nobody said the Indian is wrong to seek legal measures. But the legal system itself should not ban books on frivolous complaints.

Yes, I know that is the reality, and the author knows it too, and is lamenting that fact. We can criticize the reality, can we not? That's how we improve societies. By criticizing its wrongs.

Its a simple legal dispute, settled in a court of law.. What is there to crib about. THe author can go to any other publisher to get the book published.

Not an issue may be secular countries with freedom of speech are alike in banning.

That is the whole point. It is not for you and I to determine what is frivolous and what isn't.

I agree with the rest of your post on critiquing societal values. The intention behind my first post was to examine the stark alternatives if it weren't for the legal system the person sought.

Your argument is self-contradictory....
On one hand you say that in some cases 'coercion' is necessary and on the other hand you say that the court didn't do that right thing if it ordered the book to be withdrawn.....

Now tell me, in a democratic system who is supposed to decide in which case 'coercion' is needed, who is wrong or right.....i.e who is ultimately supposed to settle disputes......the Judiciary right?......tell me if you don't agree.

Now, if I do something which you consider as an insult(just an example), what will you do? ignore it saying that it is my 'freedom of expression'?
If YES, then you shouldn't have said that 'coercion' is necessary even in 'some' cases, everyone should be free to do whatever he/she feels like regardless of others inconvenience.....
If NO, then I guess you would take certain retaliatory steps and if you believe in democracy, you would file a complaint in a police station(who is supposed to settle disputes) instead of thrashing me or insulting me back.......

The fact that publishers have to fear lawsuits and not furious mobs shows that there is still democracy in India.......

...coersion is not just by rampaging mobs, but also by the state....
in this case it is irrelevant 'cause the dispute was taken to the court and the judiciary of India is independent of the other two branches of Democracy i.e courts don't run according to state govt's wish....
If you don't believe in court's judgement, it's a personal matter, but the Democratic system requires you to believe in it.......if you think it's 'coercion' then you don't believe in Democracy either.....
So, what exactly do you believe in, Court justice or Mob justice or No justice....:lol:
Understood the contradiction??

Last edited:
Your argument is self-contradictory....
1)On one hand you say that in some cases 'coercion' is necessary and on the other hand you say that the court didn't do that right thing if it ordered the book to be withdrawn.....
2)Now tell me, in a democratic system who is supposed to decide in which case 'coercion' is needed, who is wrong or right.....i.e who is ultimately supposed to settle disputes......the Judiciary right?
3)Now, if I do something which you consider as an insult(just an example), what will you do? ignore it saying that it is my 'freedom of expression'?
4)If YES, then you shouldn't have said that 'coercion' is necessary even in 'some' cases, everyone should be free to do whatever he/she feels like regardless of others inconvenience.....
5)If NO, then I guess you would take certain retaliatory steps and if you believe in democracy, you would file a complaint in a police station(who is supposed to settle disputes) instead of thrashing me or insulting me back.......

6)The fact that publishers have to fear lawsuits and not furious mobs shows that there is still democracy in India.......

1) There is no self contradiction. I said that in some cases coercion by the state is necessary - after all, every single law is coercive. But coercing people to wwithdraw books is wrong.

2) Two different aspects. Settling disputes, yes the judiciary. Who gets to decide what can be coerced and what not - the lawmakers.

3) Yes. You have every right to call me a fool when I am not, and I will always defend your right to do so. I think it was originally said by Voltaire. If I'm in a bad mood, I might insult you back. Usually, I don't.

4) You misundderstood the term coercion. Coercion is not only against speech or expression, it is a much broader term, in fact an all encompassing one. As I said, every single law is coercion. The law against murder takes away your freedom to murder, and the law against theft takes away your freedom to thieve. In thse cases, coercion is necessary. But in banning people fron speaking or writing, no. That is why every society needs laws, but only just enough and no more.

5) The answer answer was yes, so this part doesn't apply. However, I must point out that police stations are not meant to settle disputes. That's the court's job. Also, democracy has nothing to do with it. Democracy simply means government being elected by the people.

6) Again - that is not what democracy is. People use the term democracy as a synonymn for utopia, ie, where everything is right all the time. Democracies have crime and sometimes mob fury as well. Dictatorships and theocracies are sometimes peaceful. There is usually no mob violence in Saudi, but it is not a democracy. There are often rampaging mobs and sometimes rioting in India, but it is and always has been a democracy. As long as the government is elected by the people, it is a democracy.

in this case it is irrevalent 'cause the dispute was taken to the court and the judiciary of India is independent of the other two branches of Democracy i.e courts don't run according to state govt's wish....
If you don't believe in court's judgement, it's a personal matter, but the Democratic system requires you to believe in it.......if you think it's 'coercion' then you don't believe in Democracy either.....
So, what exactly do you believe in, Court justice or Mob justice or No justice....:lol:
Understood the contradiction??

There is so much wrong here. One, the term 'state' doesnt mean state government. It means the nation state, or in general, any community with a common govt. In our case, the term govt includes all government apparatus, the executive, judiciary and legislature. For example, what do you think the term ''Waging war against the Indian state'' means? You completely misunderstod the post, because you seem ignorant of what ''the state'' means in this context.

State (polity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Democratic system doesn't ''require'' me to believe anything. I have every right to express my opinion that a certain law is wrong. BTW in this case it is not even the court's judgement I am against, but the fact that such laws exist. Also, as I explained before, ''democracry'' simply means a government elected by the people; nothing more, nothing less.

Its a simple legal dispute, settled in a court of law.. What is there to crib about. THe author can go to any other publisher to get the book published.
That's not true. If a court bans it from being published, nobody else can publish it either. A court decided that it cannot be published.

As for what is there to crib about - the fact that such laws exist. The fact that one person going to court becausse he was ofended, can mean that a scholar who has spent a lifetime studying a topic should be muzzled from sharing her thoughts on that topic with others. You do realize that no society is perfect, and that there can be unjust laws, right? The article is meant to highlight one such instance.

It is only by ''cribbing'' about unjust laws, that societies and laws keep evolving.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom