What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Damn that's fast! Turkish industries are really fast in developing stuff.

DRDO should learn from you guys. :)

Good luck with the development.

Elhamdulillah.. Hope production starts quickly, i want to see them in action :)

Well it is unlikely that Turkey would go on a war with Syria by the time the tank gets inducted. So can't say.

Damn that's fast! Turkish industries are really fast in developing stuff.

DRDO should learn from you guys. :)

Good luck with the development.

Well it is unlikely that Turkey would go on a war with Syria by the time the tank gets inducted. So can't say.

MTR Altay: 2012 (For chassis)
FTR Altay: 2013 ( For turret)
First Main prototype: 2014 (Chassis+Turret coordination)
Second Main Prototype: 2014-15 (The final chassis+turret design prototype which will be the matured base platform for serial production)

Serial Production: End of 2016...

MTR Altay: 2012 (For chassis)
FTR Altay: 2013 ( For turret)
First Main prototype: 2014 (Chassis+Turret coordination)
Second Main Prototype: 2014-15 (The final chassis+turret design prototype which will be the matured base platform for serial production)

Serial Production: End of 2016...

Cabatli, Will the First prototype hold the Turret with Side armor from the 3D design or the second one?...

And when finished will it also include the AKKOR Active protective systeme for testing or later on?...

Cabatli, Will the First prototype hold the Turret with Side armor from the 3D design or the second one?...

And when finished will it also include the AKKOR Active protective systeme for testing or later on?...

Bro, Side armour issue is an unknown. I personelly expect to see the final Altay which will look like the first 3D image with side armours.

AKKOR will be a moduler system. I mean Not only Altay, but also some other strategic vehicles (IFV) which will fight on the front line of conflicts, will be equipped with Aselsan AKKOR so It isn't important which platform will be used for testing.

Looks good like this anyway, armour looks big in those other pictures

Its not heavy at all infact this is the average weight of modern tanks.
How could you assume that this isn't proper in your terrain? The US have used abrams tanks in afghanistan which appear to be the heaviest tanks in the world and they worked just fine.
The fact is that even though it looks heavy the large wheels can mutualize the ground contact pressure so afterall the weight doesn't really matter:blah:

I meant relatively .....

Contrary to XK-2, Altay has a weight around 65 tonnes which make it classified as a heavy Tank. What Turkey develops is a Tank which will be a rival of Leopard-2A6/A7 in terms of size, protection level, mobility. It is because of our West neighbour which has Leopard-2A6 in inventory. Only serious tank forces will threat the Turkey from West at a likely war. East zone of Turkey isn't suitable for a Tank war. IFV forces will perform their best in East.

Contrary to XK-2, Altay has a weight around 65 tonnes which make it classified as a heavy Tank. What Turkey develops is a Tank which will be a rival of Leopard-2A6/A7 in terms of size, protection level, mobility. It is because of our West neighbour which has Leopard-2A6 in inventory. Only serious tank forces will threat the Turkey from West at a likely war. East zone of Turkey isn't suitable for a Tank war. IFV forces will perform their best in East.

a heavy tank? such classifications are getting meaningless these days. It's an old basis so people don't usually say that way. MBT is more widley used today. Anyway I think 60 ~ 70t is the adequate weight of the modern tanks not only me but also the weapon designers would agree on that point.

a heavy tank? such classifications are getting meaningless these days. It's an old basis so people don't usually say that way. MBT is more widley used today. Anyway I think 60 ~ 70t is the adequite weight of the modern tanks not only me but also the weapon designers would agree on that point.

most western type tanks are heavy and 60-70t so altay is good weight , should have strong armour.

Altay unfortunately is too heavy for our terrain, otherwise it would have been a great option for PA to follow.

But don't you guys have your tank requirement fullfilled with the T-80s and the Al Khalids?

Buying the Altay would make your logistics management difficult with already two diverse tanks.

Turks prefer homogeneity. Look at their air force for example; they use an all-F-16 fleet for multirole category of fighters.

Btw anyone knows wether the Suspension is domestic or foreign?

Btw anyone knows wether the Suspension is domestic or foreign?
The hydro-pneumatic suspension is included in Koreans' TOT. We have all legal rights over this component aswell. They won't be the bouncing version of XK2 by the way :D

I wouldn't call Altay a Heavy tank, certainly that kind of tank classifications died since M103. And we all know heaviest tank around is Challenger 2 with it's tea machine :)

Back
Top Bottom