What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

I do not know why, Pakistan is being mentioned as a potential customer for Altay in the media. Has Turkish media reported anything like that?

TRAHMET, U mind if i put it on my youtube account to?

I do not know why, Pakistan is being mentioned as a potential customer for Altay in the media. Has Turkish media reported anything like that?

Pakistan already have infrastructure for devolope MBT as well as your AK MBT advanced if your army or defence industry want anything for heavy MBT i'm sure our defence industry willing help to Pakistan.

Maybe Pakistan could select to Altay MBT for under license production in the future. time will show.

Bye the way Altay look like a monster! :)) i can't wait for fire test video....

[TR]AHMET;3573510 said:
Otokar Altay (P1) Main Battle Tank on Test Field

I guess the Tank gun Stabilizer hasn't been installed/developed yet right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the Tank gun Stabilizer hasn't been installed/developed yet right?
These are land tests, so anything doesn't effect on tank's weight and/or balance doesn't have to be on..

Probably fire control systems' integration will be tested lastly because we have been developing Volkan family of fire control systems for a long time and those are the most proven components..

It's not Aselsan's part yet, It's Otokar's part. We'll see how engine, transmission and suspension does.

+Turret is probably a mock-up with identical weight, just to help simulate.

I think I read something like that, but the chances of Pakistan buying Altay is as slim as chances Turkey buying JF17 from Pakistan.

What is interesting is, whatever we buy or we build at home we always have electronics/avionics for it before the procurement. Aselsan is an exceptional corporation that i believe really gives Turkey an edge when it comes to military technologies.

I heard that the Armor will be Boron-Carbon Composite Armor duo the fact our industry in this area is very advanced and evolved. Anybody know how good Boron-Carbon is compared to other armor such as AMAP Perhaps Abrams Depleted Uranium or ERA-5?

I heard that the Armor will be Boron-Carbon Composite Armor duo the fact our industry in this area is very advanced and evolved. Anybody know how good Boron-Carbon is compared to other armor such as AMAP or ERA-5?

As it says in here:
Boron carbide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's one of the hardest metarials known, ceramic and DU are also good solutions for main basis of composite armor. But there will be layers of elastic materials too :) It's not easy to predict how the armor will do.

I must say though boron carbide looks promising.

As it says in here:
Boron carbide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's one of the hardest metarials known, ceramic and DU are also good solutions for main basis of composite armor. But there will be layers of elastic materials too :) It's not easy to predict how the armor will do.

But i must say boron carbide looks promising.

Yeah i just finished reading about it, Apparently its extremely hard material so very promosing Armor indeed. Some turkish defence members claim that the Altay armor will be a combination of Boron-Carbon composite and Roketsan-Nurol Reactive Armor. And then you still have the AKKOR Active Protection System, Pfff damn this is the perfect Tank in my eyes :)

Properties according to wiki:

Boron carbide is known as a robust material having high hardness, high cross section for absorption of neutrons (i.e. good shielding properties against neutrons), stability to ionizing radiation and most chemicals.[4] Its Vickers hardness (38 GPa) and fracture toughness (3.5 MPa·m1/2) approach the corresponding values for diamond (115 GPa and 5.3 MPa·m1/2)

Good for Post-Nuclear appocolyps :smokin:

Yeah i just finished reading about it, Apparently its extremely hard material so very promosing Armor indeed. Some turkish defence members claim that the Altay armor will be a combination of Boron-Carbon composite and Roketsan-Nurol Reactive Armor. And then you still have the AKKOR Active Protection System, Pfff damn this is the perfect Tank in my eyes :)
Normally only front armor gets composite materials it is the strongest side of the tank especially the turret. Side armors are homogen steel + Reactive armor (note that Altay's reactive side armor isn't installed on mock-ups) Roketsan and Nurol has different studies on this level, Nurol has developed some nano-technology components so far.

This old picture of M1A2 can be of help, understand that side armor is of less priority, and gets lighter armor all the time. In Abrams' case they have chosen to mount ERA blocks on skirts:
070825114012590.jpg

Leopard2A6 is also the same, if you look at behind the turret you'll see even the ammo storage isn't protected from the sides. This deficiency is fixed by KMW's A7+ upgrade.

The backside of turret/tower look like shitt just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom