What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

BMC Karasu Groundbreaking ceremony: 13 January 2019 !

DlUA_lKXsAAIRA8.jpg

https://www.aa.com.tr/tr/ekonomi/bmcnin-stratejik-ussunun-temeli-atiliyor/1361661

You misunderstood the article a little bit. Rheinmetall wrote in a statement that they're not going to build a tank factory in Turkey and that this joint venture won't happen. In the past, leftists accused them of building a tank factory in Turkey for Erdoğan which caused an uproar in the German lmedia.

But we know that the factory could be owned by BMC, not RBSS. In fact, RBSS just knocked out Otokar by hiring all engineers who have worked on the Altay project. In other words: the Altay knowhow is now definitely transferred to RBSS. Over 20 engineers left Otokar for RBSS so far, according to this article. While Rheinmetall Germany is playing down its role in this project, our foreign minister and Rheinmetall's Turkish partners are praising the good cooperation at the same time. Even the representative of Rheinmetall in Turkey is hailing this project. They'd consider Altay as an export opportunity which is not just made for Turkey's domestic needs. This is why the journalist himself is pointing out that Rheinmetall is probably not telling the whole truth. Actually, they flat-out lied in the past to avoid criticism. According to stern, they once declared in 2017 that this project was not actively pursuit. Hence, the newspaper itself is now asking why RBSS is hiring experts for a project which Rheinmetall Germany claims is dead.
--------

Many questions remain. Personally, I don't think that Rheinmetall left this project. They probably changed the way of cooperation to protect the company from criticism in Germany. Plus, as a person who knows and understands the German defence policy and regulations, I fully support the German participation. I remind you guys that Rheinmetall will support Altay with further knowhow and technology. If this project gets real, Altay will be advanced into a totally new tank.

The German government has no power to sanction this project btw.

Many questions remain. Personally, I don't think that Rheinmetall left this project. They probably changed the way of cooperation to protect the company from criticism in Germany. Plus, as a person who knows and understands the German defence policy and regulations, I fully support the German participation.
Thats how most German companies work if they expect "sanction" from governement or the US/EU,officially there is no cooperation.
Iran is the best example.

Back
Top Bottom