What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

The interesting thing about this is that you have to re-program the FCS to account for the new type of ammunition. I wonder how they will perform this on the older Leopard 2A4 tanks?
M60T we got from Israel with tech transfer, so we have full access to it... which could be the reason why they are using M60T for test firing...

Leopard2NG still on the books ?

Every shell type has a different drop rate, so in order to have an accurate shot you need to know how much height the shell loses over distance. Can you fire the shell without changing the FCS, probably but you will have a harder time getting accurate shots.

The Leopard 2A4 uses L/44 gunbarrel, M60T uses MG253 which is a licenced version of L/44 with changes to stabilization and recoil If I recall Correctly.

So I expect a similar performance.

cabatli; do you have any information about use of this shell? What is its benefits in urban fighting? What is its superiority to other HE type shells?

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2006/garm/thursday/gaines.pdf

Essentially it shreds infantry targets. Getting hit with one of these means you are dead even if your behind cover. We have been using other types, mainly anti-armor shells for our tanks against infantry for a along time that why you sometimes see guys of a group surviving direct hits to their group.

The west didn't sell them to us and now we have our own.

Last edited:
The west didn't sell them to us and now we have our own.

Dude, we bought hundreds of thousands of HEAT munition from Germany and Israel when we got Leopard2A4s and M60Ts. Didn't you guys read the contracts or see the pictures?
26238_TUR-180124-Turkey-Army-AP_1516791536778.jpg

c2ptdskxeaiq5wn.jpg

c1cimxqwiaattnl.jpg

We are late for making HEAT like 60 years all together and on top of that what we made currently is based on the early 1980s DM12 HEAT-MP-T. God knows when we have something like DM11 HETF. It was made in 2015 do the math.

But at least and at last we have the capacity to produce HEAT. It is something and it is good.

Dude, we bought hundreds of thousands of HEAT munition from Germany and Israel when we got Leopard2A4s and M60Ts. Didn't you guys read the contracts or see the pictures?
26238_TUR-180124-Turkey-Army-AP_1516791536778.jpg

c2ptdskxeaiq5wn.jpg

c1cimxqwiaattnl.jpg

We are late for making HEAT like 60 years all together and on top of that what we made currently is based on the early 1980s DM12 HEAT-MP-T. God knows when we have something like DM11 HETF. It was made in 2015 do the math.

But at least and at last we have the capacity to produce HEAT. It is something and it is good.

have been using other types, mainly anti-armor shells for our tanks against infantry...

You know that HE-T and HEAT are different, right? Like thats literally what I just said.

HEAT= HIGHT EXPLOSIVE ANTI TANK

HE-T= HIGH EXPLOSIVE TRACER

Last edited:
Current US army doctrine uses Armor-Piercing, Fin-Stabilized, Discarding Sabot (APFSDS) rounds against tanks, and high-explosive anti-tank warhead (HEAT) rounds on softer targets. The spin, caused by the rifling, lowers the linear kinetic energy of the APFSDS projectile, and interferes with the HEAT rounds plasma stream, decreasing overall effectiveness.
Thats why new MBTs have 120mm smootbore guns, older generations 105mm rifled gun.

Using smootbore gun was invented by Russians .The first smoothbore tank was soviet T62.

Last edited:
The interesting thing about this is that you have to re-program the FCS to account for the new type of ammunition. I wonder how they will perform this on the older Leopard 2A4 tanks?
M60T we got from Israel with tech transfer, so we have full access to it... which could be the reason why they are using M60T for test firing...

Leopard2NG still on the books ?

I believe the 2A4's FCS is able to handle new types of ammo by adding a new entry to the digital munition databank and putting in the new parameters for weight, drag, etc.

BMC is getting "super incentive credit" from the government for the investments it made . This mean it is also selected for the Altay project ?

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/ekonomi/iste-super-tesvikten-yararlanacak-o-firmalar-40799307

çabatlı posted this

The projects got government support worth hundreds of billion £.

View attachment 464961

View attachment 464962

and it seems they will get 2 billion for their sakarya factory

çabatlı posted this

If the credit is for Altay project, it is unfairness to Otokar that has spent already too much for the produced tanks .
Anyway, we still need to wait till the official statement is made.

Those numbers are the amount of investment of companies. Those investment will not be given by government o_O They will invest themselves. Government can, delay/remove tax revenue from those investments at max (turning those investments into tax-free).

It is not like government will give 2billion to BMC, but lets assume that if %15 of the investment was going to be tax, so BMC won't give additional 300million to government as tax.

Those numbers are the amount of investment of companies. Those investment will not be given by government o_O They will invest themselves. Government can, delay/remove tax revenue from those investments at max (turning those investments into tax-free).

It is not like government will give 2billion to BMC, but lets assume that if %15 of the investment was going to be tax, so BMC won't give additional 300million to government as tax.
Yeah, that's my understanding of it as well. Other companies (foreign or domestic) that are planning projects/investments that are 100 million+ $ can also qualify for these government incentives (if it is within certain criteria like: innovative, R & D-intensive and high value-added investments, current or future needs of country, etc). I think/hope that these 23 projects (of 19 companies) is only the beginning.

For more info about the projects/companies and incentives: https://www.dunya.com/foto-galeri/ekonomi/hangi-yatirima-ne-kadar-tesvik-veriliyor-galeri-410860
http://www.star.com.tr/ekonomi/supe...mine-nerelerde-eleman-alinacak-haber-1329540/

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom